Driving

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello , I'm looking at applying for my driving licence as I'm wanting to start my lessons soon. I'm 20 years old tomorrow, but I'm wanting to know what your back ground sugars have to be or what levels do they not agree on not save to drive at. Hope you understand as I don't know how to word it.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello yeah I have but it doesn't tell me what your back ground has to be or if there even any levels that you won't get accepted for

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello yeah I have but it doesn't tell me what your back ground has to be or if there even any levels that you won't get accepted for

The advice is you must be above 5 to drive and if 4 or above you have to eat a carby snack to bring your bg levels up, below 4 and you can't drive until the hypo is corrected and bg levels return to normal.

The DVLA will access your application after reviewing the information that you provided in the DIAB 1 form, is this what you want to know?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nope. Your overall back ground level not your blood sugars

Do you mean your average bg level or HbA1c?

The DVLA are mainly concerned that your still hypo aware and not had 2 hypo episodes where you needed a third party assistance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope. Your overall back ground level not your blood sugars

If you mean HbA1C then the DVLA don't ask about that. They're concerned with making sure that your blood sugars are in range when you're driving, that you're aware of approaching hypos, and that you can see properly basically.

Edited to add that your HbA1C woukdnt tell them any of that. It's your tests on your blood meter they're interested in. the HbA1C is just a kind of average of your bloodvsugars over the last 3 months.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that's all I needed to know, so do I just end them a normal driving licence form then will they end me a DIAB 1 form or do I send both

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you that's all I needed to know, so do I just end them a normal driving licence form then will they end me a DIAB 1 form or do I send both
Fill in the normal form and also the DIAB and send them both together. Both can be downloaded from the DVLA site

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I can't remember for definite what I did as I've had my licence for years but I'm pretty sure I gave them a ring and they sent me all the forms I needed to fill in, including the Diab 1 one.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck, Chloe. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow!!

I've been on insulin for over 50 years, and passed my test at 17 and renew it every 3 years. I just fill in the diab1 form with their few simple questions.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know if I go to my doctors and ask for a diab1 form will they have them or am I just best off printing it off my self

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone know if I go to my doctors and ask for a diab1 form will they have them or am I just best off printing it off my self

Not sure if your gp surgery will have the form, but it's quicker just to print it off yourself from the DVLA website.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The forms are DVLA forms so nothing to do with the GP. Download them is easiest and quickest.

Chloemoore16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
HELP! Just filling my driving licence form and the DIAB 1 form, which address do I send it 2 there 2 different address!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Send them to the address on the DIAB form, let us know how you get on with your application.