Type 1: Diabetics. Family connection?

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi just want to ask do any of you think that diabetics runs in families because my granny had it in her later years and my cousin took it when she was 4 and I took it when I was 21and I worry about my son who is 9 if he is at risk because of this.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have a new question do any of you think diabetics runs in families because my granny had it in later years and my cousin took it when she was 4 and I took it when I was 21. I worry about my son who is 9 in case he is at risk.

Yes, there is s genetic element with type 1. If you have a relative with type 1 youre 15 times more likely to get it than someone without a relative with type 1 (but that is 15 X a really small number, so still = a really small number). If you are concerned about your sons risk, you might want to have a look at the trial net study - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/clinical-sciences/migrated/documents/factsheet.pdfu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have a teenage daughter and two adult children. My uncle, my mum's brother, had type 1 and I was told my mum's mum, was too, but I haven't been able to prove that my grandmother actually was. Unfortunately my granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 at 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@dex44lego9 Even with identical twins, if one twin has Type 1 the other only has a 50% chance of developing it too.
Most people with the diabetes genes don't get diabetes. It takes an environmental trigger to start it. What precisely that trigger is isn't known.

No one in my close family has Type 1. I was really confused and upset when I got it, so I asked similar questions to you. My consultant told me that Type 1 is 20% genetic, 80% environmental.

(Type 2 is a different matter, but I guess it's Type 1 you're worrying about for your son.)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
My Grandfather on my dads side was a diabetic but which type i have no idea (no contact with him as my father was orphaned). I'm type 1 my dad was diagnosed type 2 a couple of years after me, his identical twin sister ooops! i mean brother is type 1, niether my brother or 4 sisters are diabetic knor are my 2 daughters or my nephews and niece's.

The story i go with is that I'm diabetic as it runs in the family but also its a possible that an illness / viral infection could have set it off.

Either way its a case of living as best as you can and utilising all thats available to you to be as healthy as possible.

Regards

Martin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi just want to ask do any of you think that diabetics runs in families because my granny had it in her later years and my cousin took it when she was 4 and I took it when I was 21and I worry about my son who is 9 if he is at risk because of this.

I was the first type 1 in my family and the last.

It's natural to worry about your children getting diabetes, ask any parent who has diabetes and they will tell you as much, but whilst it's sensible to keep an eye on their health it shouldn't preoccupy your thoughts, just enjoy their time as children as they soon grow-up.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the first and only in my family, I also have a sneaky suspicion that mine was triggered by a pretty nasty cold that wouldn't shift. I rarely get ill in general and my other half kept making comments. Few months later boom your type 1, Enjoy!

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed two years ago and as far I was concerned no one in my family had until recently when my auntie died her sister had type two but we going back 40 yrs!!!! I have no idea how I got it at 40 the only I could put it down to was an operation and poor diet due to my husbands redundancy could not survive on social pay out !!!

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have T1 (diagnosed at 34) and my daughter has T1 (diagnosed at 5).

Dad has T2.

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Dad was diagnosed when he was 22.
One of my Dad's brothers (My uncle) was diagnosed in his 20s also.
I was diagnosed when i had just turned 26 last year.

njd1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My dad was diagnosed when he was 15, my uncle when he was 20 and I was diagnosed at 13. Plus numerous other family members so for me it definitely runs in the family. I have the same worries about my 4 year old daughter :(

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if there is any truth in this at all.. admittedly i haven't researched it.. but i just remember the nurse telling me in A&E when i was diagnosed that there is a higher chance of inheriting type one diabetes from your father if he has it.. and there is a low chance that you will inherit it from your mother if she has it.... as i said i have no clue if there are any facts that confirm this is true!

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same. So you're pretty much right :)

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes.

So technically my lad has a 5-12% chance, actually probably much higher based on @Contralto 's post - grim :nailbiting: - this subject does fascinate me though. My family has no history of any T1D (or auto-immune for that matter) but the Mrs' family has lots of auto-immune issues (inc. T1 for her).

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As mentioned above - Yes it is genetic. However, that doesn't mean it WILL be inherited. Just a few examples - no one anywhere down my family line (either side) had diabetes, and both me and my sister have it. My mothers twin sister also had a son and daughter and they are both without it.
I work with someone who's father has T1D and she did not inherit it herself.

From what i have read its a recessive gene (or series of genes) that would only develop into diabetes if both parents carry it and your luck is bad enough that it gets passed on and triggered.

It really is a shot in the dark, if i ever have kids i would certainly do some random finger pricks after meals lol