21 / T1 / since I can remember

Weevle_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, I'm 21 and have had T1 diabetes since I can remember. Overall pretty rubbish control Trying to get it better! Doesn't help that I have a phobia of needles (the irony).
My sister (18) was also diagnosed with T1 this year which I hear is pretty rare.
Interested in getting to know my fellow pancreas haters and hearing your stories! I'm from Bedfordshire

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,
Nice to meet you , I'm cloe :) 24 and had type 1 diabetes since I was 7 . So 17 years this year .

Ive got ok management of my diabetes , did make me laugh when you said about the fear of needles not the best of phobias to have being a diabetic must make it so much harder for you , are you on multiple injections I take it ? Not the pump .
I'm on injections .
'Pancreas haters' never heard that one before lol .

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Hi!

I'm from Lancashire, type one for almost 19 years now. Also like yourself, had pretty shocking control until I went on the pump. But now it's much better!

Wow, I've only ever met one person who had a sibling/close relative who was also T1! Do they know what the trigger was for her?

I like to think I'm not a pancreas hater, more that my pancreas is a Zoe hater!! :D

neil17uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!! I'm 17 and was diagnosed 11/02/16 after going into a DKA!! Looking for tips and people to chat too!

D

Deleted member 83869

Hey, I'm 21 and have had T1 diabetes since I can remember. Overall pretty rubbish control Trying to get it better! Doesn't help that I have a phobia of needles (the irony).
My sister (18) was also diagnosed with T1 this year which I hear is pretty rare.
Interested in getting to know my fellow pancreas haters and hearing your stories! I'm from Bedfordshire
Hello I'm 21 too! Had diabetes since I was 13! I'm on the pump now and my Control has never really been perfect...well until now it has improved alot! I'm from London :)

qijun6699

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, 25 this year and have diabetes for more than 15 years!

im from singapore... southeast asia.

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello there, I'm 25 and this will be my 6th year diaversery :p i was diagnosed at 19 and it was a bit of a shock but all in all i am now trying to get back to normal :D

Reactions: 4 people

loulou_rs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Heyy I'm 19, 20 this August. This September will be 14 years with type1. Never had good control at all. I don't know anyone with type one diabetes. I'm fromm Londonn

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! Nearly 24 years old, having my Diaversary of 22 years in September. Had pretty good control, went on the pump probably 6 or 7 years ago now and let things slip up when I went off to College and trying to recover from my lack of care now. Looking to find someone who also has type 1 that I can bounce ideas off of, someone who understands what I'm going through without having to explain - a support system I never had when I was younger (I don't personally know anyone that's diabetic).

Sianyh21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, will be 25 this year. Had it 18 years this month from Hastings. Cant say my controls been that good over the years

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I would defiantly look at getting a pump! It has changed my life and control. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey! I'm 21 and have had diabetes for 19 years. Very jealous of everyone who has access to a pump - docs won't give me one as my control is not bad enough to qualify for a pump. Trying not to get too frustrated with this whole thing and not freak out too much about changes in my eyes. So ye if anyone wants to chat - drop me a message!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a newbie, diagnosed in Feb 2016. Losing weight was the reason I went to GP for a checkup. Nice shock for me at 24.

Seem to have a handle on it now, honeymooning so I have it a little easier for the short future.

Also a fellow needle phobia diabetic. Getting through it now (kind of have to). Always happy to chat so if anyone wants to, message away.

T1_shane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fellow T1 having been diagnosed in June, so 3 months! Still finding my feet! 28 from London :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Weevle_
My sister and I were diagnosed 3 months to the day! The Drs were pretty shocked and said its nearly unheard of (going back to 1997 at least)
No real shock or great illness that "attacked us" or tried to kill off my pancreas!!
We did have a grandfather who was diabetic, so obviously genetic I guess.
I had lost 2stone in weight slowly over 6 months ish but was 16 so did t think much of it, until the last stone flew off (dropped to 7 1/2 stone which at 5ft 8 wasn't really ideal!). My mum was then super aware of symptoms and whilst she did have to "fight" with the dr to not think she was completely mad with my sister, she too got the diagnosis!
My control has been far from ideal over the years, with some scary hypos (I do not recommend trying to hug the floor with your face or front teeth!!) but learning all the time and now on a pump!

Funnily enough I had a friend who hated needles and she wanted to be a paramedic (mmmmmm)....
And someone who once told me they'd rather die than inject! Some people are very silly.
Remember you are 21 now so you must be doing something right
I saw they can do needleless injections once but something about water jet (for kids)... It confuses me!
Fingers crossed they find a cure one day then we'll all by sorted!!

Last edited:

aimeeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I would defiantly look at getting a pump! It has changed my life and control. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
Hi, I'm currently on injections hoping to go onto the pump. I was wondering if the pump gets in the way of any clothes you wear and if it's visible. Also I tend to toss and turn when I sleep so i'm worried it would come out