R.Barley92

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Guys,

So after trying to work out whether my husband and I can afford to fund a CGM for him, a desperate search to see if there is anywhere we could get help with funding it, any charities to apply for or anything at all I have got really utterly P**S*D off with the lack of support!!!

Short of setting up a crowdfunding page and hoping there seems to be no support out there for people that need help in getting together the insanely large 'Start-Up Cost'... (If you know of anywhere that does help please let me know and I will then readily admit I should have done more research!!)

The idea has crossed my mind to start up a Not-For-Profit organisation that fundraisers and applies for grants and gets money, which people are either referred to by their Diabetes Team or self-refer / apply to, and this organisation then gives the start up cost for a CGM - the person could get to pick what type they wanted, as long as they can afford the ongoing costs of sensors and if the start-up cost of their particular type of meter is above what the organisation will grant they are willing to pay the difference.

Do you think there would be 'a market' for this type of organisation? Would you help fundraise for it? Would you maybe be interested in applying to it for a CGM if it could take off? Or *crosses fingers* would you like to help set it up??

Starting this up and raising the money I know would be hard, slow to start with, and a complete tear-your-hair-out nightmare at points but even if it could help only one person fund a needed CGM which they couldn't have otherwise got surely its worth it?!?

bondj700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes....
Not that i know of but interesting idea. For your husband have you considered a libre? Its a FGM rather than CGM but has lot lower startup costs(just £50 sensor if you have an android phone) and if you don't need alarms of CGM worth thinking bout as alternative

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Guys,

So after trying to work out whether my husband and I can afford to fund a CGM for him, a desperate search to see if there is anywhere we could get help with funding it, any charities to apply for or anything at all I have got really utterly P**S*D off with the lack of support!!!

Short of setting up a crowdfunding page and hoping there seems to be no support out there for people that need help in getting together the insanely large 'Start-Up Cost'... (If you know of anywhere that does help please let me know and I will then readily admit I should have done more research!!)

The idea has crossed my mind to start up a Not-For-Profit organisation that fundraisers and applies for grants and gets money, which people are either referred to by their Diabetes Team or self-refer / apply to, and this organisation then gives the start up cost for a CGM - the person could get to pick what type they wanted, as long as they can afford the ongoing costs of sensors and if the start-up cost of their particular type of meter is above what the organisation will grant they are willing to pay the difference.

Do you think there would be 'a market' for this type of organisation? Would you help fundraise for it? Would you maybe be interested in applying to it for a CGM if it could take off? Or *crosses fingers* would you like to help set it up??

Starting this up and raising the money I know would be hard, slow to start with, and a complete tear-your-hair-out nightmare at points but even if it could help only one person fund a needed CGM which they couldn't have otherwise got surely its worth it?!?
Try here https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ that's where I got my funding from.

Reactions: Energize