Anybody have premium bonds?

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seeing as interest rates are now hopeless, i've switched my savings across hoping for the big win.
I know it's unlikely, but my bank is now going to pay 0.01% interest so waste of time having my money there.
For every £1,000, that pays 10p interest a year! You'd need £100,000 savings just to get £10 interest in a year! You get the drift, no point bothering. Even their ISA now pays 0.01%!

Has anybody ever won anything good?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Seeing as interest rates are now hopeless, i've switched my savings across hoping for the big win.
I know it's unlikely, but my bank is now going to pay 0.01% interest so waste of time having my money there.
For every £1,000, that pays 10p interest a year! You'd need £100,000 savings just to get £10 interest in a year! You get the drift, no point bothering. Even their ISA now pays 0.01%!

Has anybody ever won anything good?

I had a work colleague (he's retired now) who told me that he and his wife each had the maximum holding which at the time was £30k.

He claimed that they used to win £60 to £80 per month which if true, is not a bad return in comparison to the bank.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the return on Premium Bonds for someone with "normal" good fortune is meant to be about 0.1% also.

Of course, if you have better than normal luck you could get a much higher return.

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Martin Lewis obviously doesn't bank with Natwest. Like i said, their saving rate including ISAs is dropping to 0.01%...no, not a misprint not even 0.1% but 0.01%. I've moved £40,000 across to premium bonds because it's easy to do, if i left that in my Natwest savings account in an entire year i would get a whopping £4 interest! So to break even with the premium bonds, i only need to win £25 once in the next 6 years!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Martin Lewis obviously doesn't bank with Natwest. Like i said, their saving rate including ISAs is dropping to 0.01%...no, not a misprint not even 0.1% but 0.01%. I've moved £40,000 across to premium bonds because it's easy to do, if i left that in my Natwest savings account in an entire year i would get a whopping £4 interest! So to break even with the premium bonds, i only need to win £25 once in the next 6 years!
What's the max holding these days?

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had four premium bonds since I was 4..... not a sausage in 54 years

Lol 4?? Well that's not many...but 54 years is a lot of draws!

My holder number is over 288 million, that's a lot of holdery peeps. How does that even work?? There aren't 288 million people in the UK! I thought you had to be a UK resident to buy em? Maybe not. I dunno.

S

Sable_Jan

Lol 4?? Well that's not many...but 54 years is a lot of draws!

My holder number is over 288 million, that's a lot of holdery peeps. How does that even work?? There aren't 288 million people in the UK! I thought you had to be a UK resident to buy em? Maybe not. I dunno.
Guessing lots of original holders will now be deceased......

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder what happens with stuff like this and gambling/lottery accounts etc if you die? Now everything is done on the internet, there's no record of anything. These companies won't even discuss account details with anybody other than the account holder.