Slimming world

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi....I'm doing slimming world but I'm not sure if it's right for me. I'm type 2 diabetic...just diagnosed on Metformin 500mg twice daily and hba1c was 54. I've lost 9lb in 3 weeks but reading a lot about reducing carbs. I'm earing brown rice and brown bread and potatoes and have had a banging head a couple ot times now and not sure if it's my blood sugar? I've ordered a meter now to check but very confused by it all?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us here have found that by cutting out carbs from our diet we have got much better control of our blood sugar levels.
I personally went very low carb and have effectively now achieved "normal" blood sugar levels. As well as loosing 6 stones in weight along the way. I'm still too heavy but am continuing with the low carb high fat way of eating to see how low I can go.
Bread, rice, potatoes whether brown red or pink are all carbs and will most likely cause your blood sugars to spike if you consume them. There is a huge amount of info on this forum as well as on www.dietdoctor.com so have a read around and give it a go.
What have you got to loose apart from high blood sugar and excess weight?

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou. Just had a look and I'm trying to get my head round it....it's completely opposite of the way I eat now. My cholesterol is also 7 so nervous about switching. Am I ok to have sugar free juice with this or is that a no no as well?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I have tried to loose all "sweetness" in what I eat to the extent that regular milk now tastes a bit sweet to me.
I'm an all or nothing type of person so have been strict in what I eat.
Cholesterol is one of those things that some worry about others don't. Mine has gone from 5.2 to 5.6 with this way of eating but in my opinion your body controls it so let it alone. I have always refused to even consider medication for it. You need to do some research.. however quite a few people here (maybe even the majority) of low carbers have experienced a reduction in cholesterol levels when following the diet. It may sound counter-intuitive but you can't deny their evidence.

Last edited:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there @Indy51 has been posting a series of videos that explain diabetes and low carb eating Why we get type 2 diabetes, how we evolved to eat, and why low carb works for weight, cholesterol control, and blood sugar control. They are well worth the time to watch them and are in plain English, not doctor speak. They are not selling anything. Do a search for tim noakes on the forum

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss! As SW is working for you for the time being at least I would stick to it for a while but try to reduce the obvious carbs little by little. I was a little naughty and went to SW (for the support) but followed my own LCHF diet. I did lose over 10% of my body weight. My own feeling is that your BG level and weight is more important than your cholesterol which may well reduce on it's own anyway. Just my personal point of view though. It's hard to work on everything at once.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you give me example of a typical LCHF day please including what you drink? I live on cold drinks mostly with the odd coffee. ...skimmed milk and sweetner also Pepsi max and no added sugar juice.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Breakfast- eggs, bacon, cheese, anything non carb really. Full fat sugar free yogurt with a few berries. Coffee with cream (not milk) or tea, no sugar but a bit of sweetener is fine. Personally my caffeine choice is diet coke. No juice of any kind and no milk, both are full of sugar, even the unsweetened kind.

Lunch- salad with full fat low carb dressing. Can add lots of things to it such as chicken, ham, bacon, hard boiled eggs, cheese, avocados, almonds, olives. Or a plate with assorted finger foods like devilled or boiled eggs, cheese, veggies and dip (check carbs in dip) pepperoni, etc

Dinner- meat of some kind or chicken or fish with steamed veggies and lots of butter. Or a stir fry without rice or noodles. I use wilted mung bean sprouts instead of noodles or you can use courgettes spiralized or spaghetti squash. Cauliflower can be used to make tasty faux rice or mashed with butter and cheese or garlic like potatoes.

Snacks can be a few nuts or 85% dark chocolate. Sugar free jelly with double cream or berries in cream or full fat sugar free yogurt. Pork scratchings, jerky.

No milk and no juice. Use cream for coffee and your pepsi max is fine. Use full fat products. Low fat products have been filled in with sugars and chemicals to make them taste like food and you need the fat to feel full. No fruit other than berries and maybe apples and pears but you will need to check with your meter if you can tolerate them. You do have a meter right??? If not you need one. How can you know how foods affect you if you don't test?

If you check out low carb recipes on the forum or on line you can find thousands of tasty meals. There are also lots of threads on here along the lines of "What did you eat for breakfast" Look in the low carb diet subforum.

This is how I do it. Not everyone follows a diet this low in carbs. You will need to use your meter to see what you personally can handle in the way of carbs. This is just a rough idea of where to start. The atkins website is also a good starting point with lists of foods and a clear explanation of how to do it. Just don't buy any of their fake foods.

I am not a doctor or a nutritionist and I am not giving you medical advice but I hope this helps.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great help thankyou. I'm going to study LCHF and definitely seems the way to go.....donner meat is ok I think as is salami and meats like that? Just need to understand it more then make the changes. No meter yet but it's on its way so will have it when I switch. Many thanks for helpful advice

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. I eat processed meat like salami and chorizo but not much. It's not the carbs (low) but the preservatives that bother me. I found while learning about LCHF I also learned a lot about what goes into our food generally. It's not nice reading.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Gracie2007

I don't have type 2 and never did the SW diet, however my wife joined Slimming World several years back and there was a chap with type 2 in the group who lost 5 stone before my wife left, don't know how he adapted the diet or if he was on any meds but he was sticking with the group after losing all that weight.

Edit to include a previous discussion on the SW diet:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-effective-for-those-with-diabetes.91559/

Last edited:

goose64

Unlike a lot of people on Here LCHF did not suit me as although it did lower my numbers my cholesterol reached for the stars so beware it can do this for some people. If you don't want to give up rice etc precook it until only just done and cool. Reheated it may not affect you in the same way.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I try to think - high protein, moderate fats and carbs. I did say TRY!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot depends on the group leader with slimming world etc, some understand about carbs and Type2 so will give personal advice others don't. Most people find that just by cooking their own food they cut down on the amount of simple carbs.

Slimming world etc can be good at helping people to rethink their relationship with food.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
I find SW really unsuitable for me....may be the class leader, but I felt their diabetic leaflet really backed up the NHS mantra on lots of carbs and it also says "unlimited fruit" the reason why it doesn't work for me is that I am not good at portion control so to have "unlimited" anything is not good for me at all.

I also find the sins a bit of an excuse to have the wrong things.

It's prob me and my total lack of self control But if it works for you then brilliant.

Interestingly, I did lose four stones on it donkeys years ago when it was green and red days, but every time I have tried it since being diagnosed with Diabetes I haven't found it suited me.