VICTOZA users

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: VICTOZA

Going into week 5 of Victoza, everything still ok but weight loss has stopped, this might not be because of the drug has stopped working it's probably because my RA has flared up and I am unable to walk or exercise as much as I normally do. I am due to see the DN in a months time so hopefully they'll be able to see if it's worked after having another Hb1ac test.

leelun

Hi, I saw my dn on tuesday. She has put me on Victoza. Had first dose yesterday (friday). So far I feel ok, no side effects as yet. Spent most of today reading thorough this thread, seems that its a general thumbs up so far. Slightly concerned about the tyhroid risks, as I always seem to be 'borderline' when I have my bloods done. Will have to discuss with dn when I see her again. By the way I'm on 2000mg Metformin and 40mg Simvastatin.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Re: victoza

Hi Keith

Well done on getting the numbers down. 8) You will need to watch what you are eating to restart the weight loss.

Brenda

Started on Victoza 0.6mg today. Was surprised that it didnt hurt to inject. Am also taking Competact 15mg/850mg twice a day. BG level earlier today was 21.3. I'm not great at controlling my BG so I hope this works for me. I was 18st 7lbs but am down to 12st 6lbs if Victoza can bring down my levels and help me lose a futher 2st I shall be happy. Will keep posted on any side effects.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi Martin, I am now going into my 6th week on Victoza and my BG levels are the best ever...I have had a few stumbles, i.e bloating (actimel helps) and losing weight then gaining it back, but I can't grumble when I feel so much better. I sincerely hope you'll get better results on Victoza.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Well, I haven't been on since just around Christmas due to madness at work but felt I should give my update. Had to stop the victoza late December as after four weeks and the nausea having initially subsided it came back and I just could not face santa and all that he brings like that. :roll: With hindsight should have waited til the new year.

So I started it again beginning of Jan and its now been 9 weeks since then. Before xmas I had lost 3kg and had gone from 133kg to 130kg. My blood sugars were 8.4 for the quarterly thing and anything from 11/12/13 ish each day. So now 9 weeks on.....

Sugars are anything from 4-9 mostly with the odd spike and the odd 3.9! Its a good job I dont know you to be admitting my weight :lol: I was 168kg (370lbs) a few years ago and managed to get to 133kg (293lbs) before victoza - took me six years but hey ho....but I am now 123kg (271lbs) woo hoo!! So thats a total loss of 10kg on victoza which is about 21lbs so far. Now for the down side :arrow:

Blurred vision which passed after four weeks and Disturbed sleep pattern (not a know side effect so not sure if connected) which passed after six weeks.

and now I am only putting this next bit after much thought and consideration as having read a couple of other posts it filled me with releif to see I am not alone. About four weeks ago I started feeling very sick, bad stomach pain and vomiting for several hours to the point it was happening every six days and on one occasion landed up in A&E. Now here is a lesson to read Victoza leaflet before use :lol: I have ended up with an endoscopy, a colonoscopy and numerous blood tests and scans and nothing was found and then I read the Victoza leaflet! So seeing that a couple of other people are in the same pickle I will have a chat with the Dr next time.

But I do not want to give this up... the weight loss and the blood sugar results have to be worth it and surely it will pass?? Does it pass?? So I am going to persevere and put up with these side effects, but does anyone have any ideas that might help. I am sipping squash as one person suggested... and as you can tell by my yakking away I havent lost the ability to talk :lol: Any help would be very gratefully received.. xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

clairy clutterbuck said:
But I do not want to give this up... the weight loss and the blood sugar results have to be worth it and surely it will pass?? Does it pass?? So I am going to persevere and put up with these side effects, but does anyone have any ideas that might help. I am sipping squash as one person suggested... and as you can tell by my yakking away I havent lost the ability to talk :lol: Any help would be very gratefully received.. xx

Hi Clairy.
Seems like you have had a rough time of it, but those results are all beginning to look good. Sometimes we have to suffer a little to get to where we want to be.

Now I am on Byetta and we have a large thread about it. A lot of members who sufferred nausea etc have found relief from nibbling a Ginger biscuit, taking Ginger capsules, basically taking anything with .....you guessed it........GINGER in it ! Another method is to sip a fizzy (diet) drink which all have seemed to help. Might be worth a try ?

Hope things pick up for you. :D

Ken

leelun

Hi, just finished my first week on victoza. BS are down slightly, only real side affect I've had is feeling queasy after injecting, usually lasts a few hours. Been injecting at around 6pm, so I am at home and not at work when I do feel sick. Slightly disappointed that I haven't lost any weight, but maybe its just me, cos metformin is supposed to help with weight loss and it didnt work either for me. Have to see DN on tuesday, daresay I'll be on 1.2mg then. Just hope I dont get any more side effects. Will let you all know how I get on. :)

Pat_fromNY

Victoza after Byetta

Hello. I'm new to the discussion.
Has anyone begun taking Victoza after taking byetta for some time? I've been on Byetta sinc 2005. It's wonderful for all of 2 1/2 hours. Then it is useless. I have the filled script for Victoza but I am afraid to take it. I get very nauseous on Byetta, but it looks like those who took Victoza after Byetta get even sicker. Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

peter lee

victoza

hi all , my consultant wants to put me on either byetta or victoza ,i was on byetta for a couple of weeks untill i read that it should not be taken with insulin ,so i stopped as i was told to take byetta twice a day plus my insulin twice a day plus my apidra fast acting insulin with meals ? i thought i was injecting too much so i stopped myself. now if i ask for victoza do i have to inject all the other stuff as well again ,im concerned about the mixture of drugs thanks pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Byetta information.
BYETTA should not be used in Type 2 diabetes patients who require insulin therapy due to beta-cell failure.

Victoza information.
Insulin
Combination of liraglutide with insulin has not been evaluated and is therefore not recommended.

Both are contra-indicated when used with Insulin. However, there are Consultant's who are evaluating this sort of use, in other words using Patient's as Guinea Pig's ! You need to discuss all the implications with your HCP's.

There is a growing thread called VICTOZA in the Diabetes Medication and Drugs Section. There is also a much larger thread about BYETTA in the same area.

Ken

peter lee

thanks ken, i figured i was going to be a guinea pig when i was first on byetta ,the diabetes team was not happy when i told them its my life they are messing with ,they got quite miffed ,i fancy trying victoza but who knows ?? :roll:

Robbie34

I was e.mailed details of the Victoza support website by my DN yesterday. It looks interesting, and I have registered. You need the batch no from your Victoza box to sign up.

http://www.mydiabetesfreshstart.co.uk/

Brenda

Just a quick update:-

Finished my first week on Victoza. It seems to be going well. Had three days were I felt a little sick and had a few stomach pains. BG levels were dropping. Last week was over 20 this morning I'm an 8.9 - the lowest I have been in years. My dose was increased yesterday to 1.2mg.

Are others still taking Competact with their Victoza? I'm taking it twice a day. Weight loss hasnt been fantastic but 2.5lbs I guess is ok. I do find that I am eating less too.

Soundgen

Victoza is it safe ?

This was emailed to me today ! Does anyone have any facts on this ?

"Don't use newly approved drugs.

In a surprise announcement, American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) officials recently advised consumers to avoid taking any new drugs approved by the agency.

An FDA spokesman explained to reporters that drug approvals are often "fast tracked" so pharmaceutical companies can get valuable new drugs to market as soon as possible. In exchange, the companies promise to conduct trials to ensure drug safety.

The spokesman said: "This system obviously creates a giant black hole of safety hazards. That's why we're always a little concerned that a newly approved drug might cause serious, irreversible, or fatal side effects.

"So to be on the safe side, we're now encouraging consumers not to use those drugs. Just hold off a couple of years – possibly three or four years, maybe five. By then the drug companies might have more studies finished up with a better look at safety issues."

One reporter wondered if the spokesman could elaborate and give an example.

The spokesman said, "Glad you asked."

A parade of red flags

"Victoza," said the FDA spokesperson.

"Last month the agency approved the use of Victoza, a drug that treats type 2 diabetes. The drug appears to help control blood sugar, but safety is a huge question mark.

"In animal studies, Victoza caused thyroid tumours, and some were cancerous. In human studies patients who took Victoza developed pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) more often than patients who took other diabetes drugs.

"So you've got a couple of serious red flags there. In fact, half the experts on our review panel recommended we not approve the drug. But the maker of Victoza, Novo Nordisk, they really had their hearts set on FDA approval, so we said, 'Oh, okay, whatever.' But we hit them with some pretty stiff requirements.

"First, they have to conduct an additional study to test safety in patients at high risk of heart problems.

"Second, they have to establish a cancer registry to monitor the rate of a specific type of thyroid cancer over the next 15 years.

"Third, they have to conduct a five-year study to test risk of thyroid cancer and other cancers, as well as pancreatitis and allergic reactions.

"In other words, anyone who takes this drug within the next five years is out of his mind. But hey, that's between you and your doctor."

Another reporter asked this question: "Last October, a report from the Government Accountability Office [GOA] indicated that the FDA hasn't followed up on a large percentage of drugs that gained approval under the accelerated approval process. Some of those drugs have been on the market for more than 10 years without completing follow up studies required by the FDA. How do you respond to that?"

FDA spokesman: "Looks like our time is up! Thanks for coming by and we'll see you next time!"

Back to earth

Of course, the FDA has NOT advised consumers to avoid taking newly approved drugs (even though that would be an excellent idea). And of course, the FDA spokesman quotes above are fictional.

But all the information about Victoza is accurate, as are the results of the October GAO investigation of inadequate FDA follow up in the accelerated approval programme.

The FDA is fully aware of the potential dangers of Victoza. But instead of waiting for safety studies to be conducted, agency officials are only recommending that Victoza should not be used as a first-line treatment. Which is like saying: If you've tried all the other diabetes medications and they haven't worked, then what the heck? Go ahead and try this potentially dangerous one.

You don't mind being a drug company guinea pig, do you? "

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

Brenda said:
Just a quick update:-

Finished my first week on Victoza. It seems to be going well. Had three days were I felt a little sick and had a few stomach pains. BG levels were dropping. Last week was over 20 this morning I'm an 8.9 - the lowest I have been in years. My dose was increased yesterday to 1.2mg.

Are others still taking Competact with their Victoza? I'm taking it twice a day. Weight loss hasnt been fantastic but 2.5lbs I guess is ok. I do find that I am eating less too.

Yes, I too take metformin with pioglitazone as well as injecting Victoza 1.2mg ... my wight loss is now around the 1lb in 10-14days slot, but it is a steady loss so I'm not too bothered. Like you, my BG levels have fallen, so I think its a win win situation we would not have experienced without Victoza.

viv1969

Re: Victoza is it safe ?

Millions upon millions of people took up the swine flu vaccines this winter. Think they weren't fast-tracked?

keithmills

just been for my 3 month check up wastold by the team that you will stop felling full after meals when on victoza so i can not see the point for victoza to be used as a appetite supressant can you