Slimming world or LCHF

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi...newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic on Metformin 500mg twice daily, hba1c was 54. I've lost 9lb in 3 weeks on slimming world but have been reading a lot about LCHF and the effects it has. I need to loose weight and control Bg also I have high cholesterol of 7!
Any a dive is very welcome as I'm finding myself hungry with a booming headache?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Gracie2007, well done on your weight going in the right direction. My cholesterol is 7 and a bit but I'm sticking to the LCHF remedy advised on here and it keeps my blood sugar below diabetic level. But I'm underweight, so others will give you more specific help. Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF but I prefer to call it Low Carb Healthy Fat since I think saying High Fat is off putting and encourages people to overdo it. Just give up the skimmed milk, eat eggs and butter if you like and put things claiming to be low fat back on the supermarket shelf.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally LCHF has worked for me and as I said before Cholesterol is a contentious issue that should be researched.
I prefer to say Higher Fat as I now eat more cream and cook most things in butter.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife lost on slimming world and I lost on LCHF, for me the difference is I will always be low carbing because that's what keeps my HBA1c at non diabetic levels, it's a diet change for life. Use whatever to loose weight but shift to low carb at any time when the weights down. I believe you need the moderate fats to stop hunger.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi...newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic on Metformin 500mg twice daily, hba1c was 54. I've lost 9lb in 3 weeks on slimming world but have been reading a lot about LCHF and the effects it has. I need to loose weight and control Bg also I have high cholesterol of 7!
Any a dive is very welcome as I'm finding myself hungry with a booming headache?
Aged 67 and cholesterol of 3.7 weight down 16.5 kg since May 15th. All attributed to eating a low carb diet in the ratio of 20 carbs/20 Fats and 70 proteins per day totalling 600 calories approx. No hunger pangs and high FBG now at 5, and high BP reduced to 127/94. Works for me Gracie.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
LCHF is free, and slimming world diets are not going to get your blood sugar down as quick. I went on LCHF and my blood sugar was nearly normal within a week. Losing weight is great, but the point is to get your blood sugar down and LCHF does that first and foremost and as a side effect you'll probably lose weight too.

Also, I should say, I love the LCHF lifestyle as I've not really felt hungry since I've been on it and feel so great.

Reactions: seanj67

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me: definitely LCHF (as in low carb higher fat) as it's a long term commitment (getting on for three years now) rather than a short term slimming effort.

I've lost some weight, lowered my cholesterol and can keep my glucose levels pretty well under control, and I've done all that by eating (and enjoying) whatever I fancy as long as i just avoid starchy and sugary stuff.:D

Robbity

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may have changed now, but when i was in Slimming W there were two choices of menu and you decided each day which one you preferred. One was a kind of low carb, and the other was based on vegs - so you had a Red Plan (meat based with limited carbs) or the Green Plan (fruit vegs and quite a lot of carbs). So if you follow the red plan you will be cutting tha carbs - but I found I was bored and hungry on that plan and didn't stick with it - I now realise I wasn't eating enough fat to keep me full.
Google dietdoctor for a sensible LCHF explanation and recipies to start you off and you'll soon be adapting your own meals to keep to the low carb way of life.

Reactions: seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done both SW & LCHF and can honestly say that for me it's LCHF hands down.

I was a SW member for over a year and lost probably 1 stone in that time due yo the "yo-yo" effect. Now, that was my fault not theirs, but I didn't find the support they offered very useful.... it was basically " try harder". The thing that got me was that they had a table selling a whole bunch of stuff that they proudly promoted as low fat - which it was..... and loaded with sugar, and there was never a shortage of people buying it..... me included! I also decided that paying £6 per week to get weighed was a bit silly as I have a set of very good scales at home :)

I also found that after class I have having a "treat" meal as I had a week to get back on plan.... which didn't always work!

Now, that said, I believe that the clubs have a great deal to offer some people - it's a very weak kind of group therapy, and it's constantly evolving - and now includes low carb if I remember. One of my friends has lost a massive amount of weight with SW and has reached the "Woman of the Year" finals, so it can work.

As ExD said, have a look at dietdoctor. I did the 2 week challenge and loved it. I also find the support here great... it's like a massive club meeting... but every day :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've lost 6 stone in 11 months without being hungry because the fat keeps you feeling full.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I loose weight with LCHF?

Most people do.
Some of them find it astonishingly easy, with the weight falling off effortlessly, and actually having problems stopping losing.
Others just gently drift down to a good weight.
Some (like me) lose to start with, then find the same stalling and plateaux that happen with any diet.

For me, the huge appeal of lchf is not being hungry, not thinking constantly about the next snack, not endlessly counting and weighing.

Weight watchers and Slimming World seem to work excellently for some, but the long term weight regain happens to most. On the other hand, lchf is a way of eating that most users recognise is for life. So it uses a different attitude. In my case this means i can let my inner foodie have full rein. I can honestly say that i eat better, more variety, more deliciousness, than i ever did on other ways of eating.

Reactions: meandmaboy

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What time do you call 'teatime' Gracie?
Here in the north many people call their evening meal (6pm - 7pm approx) their Tea, although I was brought up to call it 'supper' and our 'Tea' was a special treat at 4pm on Sundays only and included bread and jam with cakes and fruit pies.
If you mean mid-afternoon (my feel peckish time) I find that very difficult now, a cup of tea and a biscuit used to be satisfying but now these are off menu I'm also stuck. Many people nibble a piece of cheese and allow themselves an apple or pear (carbs counted of course) but I really crave something sweeter although one low carb crispbread spread heavily with Philly cheese is nice.
Not much of an answer, sorry.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe for some people they actually need the group environment to stick to their eating plan. The fact of having others doing the same thing and chatting face to face is more motivating and they look forward to the group meetings each week A lot of people who try to go it alone often fail because they feel they have no one to relate to about it. On this forum they can talk about diet and what they are doing but for many it is not quite the same as having someone you can have a cup of tea with and talk to in the flesh . I know that doctors often refer patients who need to loose a lot of weight to Slimming World and for three months I think they don't have to pay because they know they are more likely to stick with an eating plan when they are with others doing the same
I would never say to anyone don't go to a slimming club because I know some will do better by going it depends on the person

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't say I felt motivated by S World, maybe because we were unlucky in that we had several different leaders - mostly because people moved away due to their husband's jobs. But like another poster on this thread I didn't like the table full of SW books and items for sale at every meeting.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I tried slimming world and ended up gaining weight and payong £5 a week to gain weight. I do low carbing and am slowly losing the weight

Reactions: meandmaboy