Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 about an hour ago upon waking. Had my retinopathy examination A couple of weeks ago. Although I have worked hard to control my blood sugar so much so that I was taken off Metformin I have been told that I have early changes in my eyes. There was no damage last year. Can anyone explain this. I'm really disappointed and upset by this result

Janet - I wouldn't be overly alarmed by the retinopathy feedback. It can sometimes happen, especially where there have been significant changes to sugars during the intervening period. However (and this is very important), it can just simply disappear again, if your numbers and other factors, like BP, remain good.

Whatever you do; don't panic. It solves nothing and just meddles with the numbers due to stress.

To keep the thread on track, I was 3.8 this morning. All very much in my usual range.

Reactions: Tim55 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
7.1 - but my reading before I went to bed was 6.3 so confused as to why it was higher because I hadn't eaten anything in between?
Hi @Snootybutnice The higher reading in the morning is probably due to 'Dawn Phenomenon' or Liver Dump. Our livers dump stored glucose into our bloodstream as we wake to give us an energy boost as we start the day. It's quite normal and even non-diabetics will get it.

D

debrasue

7.1 - but my reading before I went to bed was 6.3 so confused as to why it was higher because I hadn't eaten anything in between?
Probably down to what's known as liver dump, or Dawn Phenomenon, which is when your liver "thinks" you've gone into starvation mode and your BGs are dropping too low, so it helpfully "dumps" glucose into your bloodstream to even things out. Some members find that a small high-protein snack just before bed (such as a small piece of cheese or a few nuts) can act as a preventative measure.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow Freema - you've done really well on your weight loss and you've come down so quickly since June...it's amazing!! :-D

thanks <3

I´m so happy for that too , but getting diabetes scared me so much... thats why I decided not to hecitate

Reactions: Prem51