Libre purchasing

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi people, in need of some of your knowledge.
I'm thinking of self funding a Freestyle Libre, have seen on the forum that they give a much better insight into BS control.
I'm sure I'll need more information at a later date but for the moment I'm in need of advice as to where to purchase the reader and sensors at the best price and service.
Thanks for any information you can give me.

Layah2013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi people, in need of some of your knowledge.
I'm thinking of self funding a Freestyle Libre, have seen on the forum that they give a much better insight into BS control.
I'm sure I'll need more information at a later date but for the moment I'm in need of advice as to where to purchase the reader and sensors at the best price and service.
Thanks for any information you can give me.
Hi i dont know if its the same with your hospital but at where my daughter goes if you tell your dsn you are wanting to try the libre they supply the meter and you just fund the sensors, my daughter was given the libre from her dsn for a 2 week trial and told if we like it and find it usefull she could keep the meter and just fund the sensors, we choose to stick with the dexcom as it works better for us but the libre is very good, try asking your dsn if they will do a trial with you

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Layah2013. That's something I hadn't considered, I'm at the hospital in 2 weeks time, I'll ask and see what they say.

Layah2013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes do so its worth it if you can get the meter from them, we had to wait to week to go on the trial but they had a lot trying it out at that time

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Apart from @Layah2013 suggestion I'm sure you can only purchase them through Abbott, you can maybe purchase them elsewhere like on eBay but don't think you would get the Abbott support or warranty (although I may be wrong).

David F

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my meter free as I did a trial but the sensors only last two weeks and are about £55 .
I is a fantastic aid to monitoring your sugars but very expensive.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a reminder, if you are diabetic you are exempt from the tax when purchasing Libre sensors as well as the Starter Pack. You just have to complete the exemption form that is part of the ordering process. So, the sensors work out to be a bit less than £50 each. Also, if you can get a code, you may be able to get free postage for the order too, which saves a further £4.99 :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I was offered a 'trial' which was good in that an Abbott rep talked a small group of us through using freestyle Libre for the first time, showed us how to apply the sensors and how to use its metre. The trial came with a free metre and 2 free sensors, but obviously it's a blatant marketing ploy as well. The two sensors lasted a month, and then I completed an online questionnaire. I then decided to purchase 2 sensors. Expensive. They arrived. Although I had had no trouble with my first two sensors, the first of the two I purchased fell off my arm after 7 days. Abbott were very helpful about this and replaced free of charge the one sensor which had dropped off. It was delivered within about 4 days. I like the Libre because you get a better idea of the path of your blood sugar over the whole day and night, which is kind of crucial. Because it's crucial, I kind of feel that we are at a tipping-point in terms of personal funding of this newer technology and the GP funding of the older technology of metres and strips providing expensive snapshots except when I'm asleep!

David F

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The price even with the vat exemption is £55 because of the added carriage

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dsn is organising a trial for me where I get to try for think it's two weeks then keep the scanner So worth asking. Quite like the idea of being shown how to use and apply sensors too. Good luck with it.

bondj700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes....
Its best to buy direct from abbott as you get the backup from them and they are no cheaper elsewhere from what i've seen. If you have an android phone you can use librelink app and save £50 on buying libre reader although if you can afford it i think it is worth buying as also tests bg and ketones via strips and is bolus advisor. Overall really love info get on bg trends from libre and ease of scanning compared to pricking.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big thanks for all the replies, as I suspected, direct from Abbott is best idea, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a trick somewhere.
Other bits of information have given me things to consider as well.
Cheers :):):)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Check with your hospital to see if they do "trial"s of libre before purchasing.

I believe most hospitals are getting "trial" libres to give to patients that could improve their diabetes results.. Whether hypo's or hypers etc..

If you can get a two week trial it will include a free reader. If not you will have to purchase that or download to a mobile.. But the reader has a blood meter included on it.

Its hassle free to order one. I was very lucky and got Libre given to me for an extended time whilst my consultant/nurse put in request for funding. My last sensor from that hospital ran out today. I ordered Tuesday and only took a few minutes. Just using in the interim now until new hospital and getting the funded CGM for 3 months sorted out.

Reactions: therower

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
been told by consultant that abbot are in negotiation with nhs about libre being available on nhs within nex 12 months.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't realise the libre reader has a built in bg meter sounds useful. Does it use same strips as the neo?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the libre doesn't have strips, that the point of it.....it measures glucose levels in the interstitial fluid via a sensor inserted into the body.......

the libre is a BG meter too, just without strips....;)

bondj700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes....
Didn't realise the libre reader has a built in bg meter sounds useful. Does it use same strips as the neo?
Yeah its really useful. I carry with me so can use to scan and test blood for driving etc. Not sure what strips neo uses but libre uses freestyle optium strips which can get prescription. Make sure your gp gets right ones as ketones strips have similar name( can send you PIP code if helps) also great that libre tests for ketones aswell so don't have to carry another meter. I use phone and librelink app more but does mean when don't have sensor on can still use reader! Its also a bolus advisor

bondj700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes....
the libre doesn't have strips, that the point of it.....it measures glucose levels in the interstitial fluid via a sensor inserted into the body.......

the libre is a BG meter too, just without strips....;)
Wrong with libre reader you can scan sensor OR insert strip and test blood for bg or ketones