Long time Type 2, new to forum

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all :)

I was diagnosed as Type 2 back in summer 2004, but it was only after attending a Diabetic Education Course two months ago that something "clicked" and I finally understood what it meant to be diabetic. I know that probably sounds crazy, but my meds (Metformin) were doing a good job and my HbA1c's were always "acceptable", so I thought I could eat whatever I wanted and not suffer any consequences. Then I had a health scare, which turned out to be a false alarm, but it scared me enough to want to change my bad eating habits, which I started straight away. Then after the Course I realised I needed to eat low carb and I've been doing that with relative success! My last HbA1c was 7, down from 7.7 a few weeks previously (my GP did 2 tests in a short period of time because of the health scare). I've also lost 17 pounds/8 kg since May, so I guess I must be doing something right!

I'm finding it difficult though, which is why I decided to join a forum. I've signed up to the 10 week low-carb course in the hope that I can learn some useful tips, and I'm also signed up to go on a follow-up diabetic education course in November.

I'm agoraphobic and suffer from depression and anxiety, but have joined a gym as I realise that exercise is a really important part of helping me to lose weight and keep healthy. I'm hoping that it will give me the confidence to go walking in the fresh air on a regular basis without getting out of breath....because I'm agoraphobic it's so much harder to just go for a walk, but I'm working hard on changing my life around. I just know that it's going to be a slow process, and the most important thing I have to do is not give up when it gets too difficult!!:nailbiting:

I have loads of questions, but will read some threads in the forum as I'm sure most will have been asked before!

-BeadieJay

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @BeadieJay and welcome to the forum! You have done well in reducing your HbA1c and weight and you are obviously taking control of your condition. Ask any questions you want, the people on here are friendly and supportive and happy to give any advice they can.
As for the depression and agoraphobia, if you have a park nearby you could try walking round that. On weekdays there aren't usually many people in my local park, and even less as the Autumn and Winter approaches. The walking and greenery is also good in lifting your spirits too.

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both :)

I do have lots of off-road paths near my house, but I'm scared of being out and getting breathless, then being stuck - so I'm trying the gym first to get my strength up....but I like the idea of wandering around a park during the day when it's empty - thanks.

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@BeadieJay - Have thought about asking your GP for a referral to have Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Sessions? :)

srm100841

I was diagnosed as Type 2 back in summer 2004, but it was only after attending a Diabetic Education Course two months ago that something "clicked" and I finally understood what it meant to be diabetic. I know that probably sounds crazy, but my meds (Metformin) were doing a good job and my HbA1c's were always "acceptable", so I thought I could eat whatever I wanted and not suffer any consequences. Then I had a health scare, which turned out to be a false alarm, but it scared me enough to want to change my bad eating habits, which I started straight away. Then after the Course I realised I needed to eat low carb and I've been doing that with relative success! My last HbA1c was 7, down from 7.7 a few weeks previously (my GP did 2 tests in a short period of time because of the health scare). I've also lost 17 pounds/8 kg since May, so I guess I must be doing something right!

I'm finding it difficult though, which is why I decided to join a forum. I've signed up to the 10 week low-carb course in the hope that I can learn some useful tips, and I'm also signed up to go on a follow-up diabetic education course in November.

I'm agoraphobic and suffer from depression and anxiety, but have joined a gym as I realise that exercise is a really important part of helping me to lose weight and keep healthy. I'm hoping that it will give me the confidence to go walking in the fresh air on a regular basis without getting out of breath....because I'm agoraphobic it's so much harder to just go for a walk, but I'm working hard on changing my life around. I just know that it's going to be a slow process, and the most important thing I have to do is not give up when it gets too difficult!!:nailbiting:

I have loads of questions, but will read some threads in the forum as I'm sure most will have been asked before!

-BeadieJay
Welcome.

I was a 'lost soul' until I joined this forum. Years of readings between 11 - 13. Now I haven't been above 6.1 for the last 6 years, all due to following a low carb diet plus daily exercise. I got really helpful advice particularly on the Low Carb forum and found out gradually what I could and could not accommodate. I average about 50 carbs per day. I also reduced my gliclazide intake from 320 mgs per day to just 40 per day and I'm seeking to dispense with it altogether in the new year.

I hope that you can achieve your objectives in respect of the diabetes control. I can't comment on your other issues but all I can say is that I've found an element of depression and confusion is par for the diabetic course at least as far as I can gather. The idea of the gym sounds pretty good.

Steve

wiselady1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

-BeadieJay

I'm a type 2 diagnosed in feb 2005 - I think. My blood tests are around 15 and I'm trying to get them lower. I'm afraid of injections and do not want to be a type 1.

If you'd like to correspond I'd like it.

best wishes,
Kathy

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...

-BeadieJay

Good morning from Bahrain BeadieJay... I am so impressed with your story - huge achievements... I too had no idea really of what it meant when the doc told me I had D2, but I went home, researched all day, and soon found out! I never filled the prescription for metformin and started Low Carb High Fat the same day... I discovered this forum the same day and have never looked back... the 'What have you eaten today?', 'What is your fasting BG today?' and the LCHF recipe thread kept me going for a year, until I felt really confident... there are so many clever, informed people on the site that you can turn to at any time - not just from the UK, but all over the place! You can ask anything at all... Check out the thread for advice on neuropathy if you think you have a problem, it's very useful... there are so many threads to help you... Good luck with your progress, you should be proud of yourself... Susi...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome and congratulations - getting out to the gym and walking is a huge step and I appreciate how difficult it is for you.

WELL DONE!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm a type 2 diagnosed in feb 2005 - I think. My blood tests are around 15 and I'm trying to get them lower. I'm afraid of injections and do not want to be a type 1.

If you'd like to correspond I'd like it.

best wishes,
Kathy

Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum. I am going to tag @himtoo and @Juicyj to see if one of them can move your post to its own thread where people will see it. I will also tag @daisy1 to send you some information that newcomers receive. A type 2 cannot become type 1 as type 1 is an autoimmune condition unless you undergo an autoimmune attack on your pancreas. If you want to get things under control and hopefully avoid needing insulin injections, all the information you need is here on the forum. Please read daisy1's post carefully when it arrives as it is full of answers to any questions you may have. In the end diet will be the main change needed to get things under control.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do have lots of off-road paths near my house, but I'm scared of being out and getting breathless, then being stuck - so I'm trying the gym first to get my strength up....but I like the idea of wandering around a park during the day when it's empty - thanks.
The advantage of walking round a park is that they usually have benches, so you can always sit down and have a rest if you do get breathless.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BeadieJay , yonks ago, I bought a bike on eBay. I used eBay as I wasn't sure I'd use it to be honest. I filtered on "Nearest", and found one, in the same village or £20. So, I have a purple mountain bike I was able to walk to collect and cycle back.

I do use the bike, but the other thing I picked up on eBay (again, filtering for local stuff) was a static trainer, which supports both wheels, but allows peddling, so I can exercise on the spot. It can be adjusted to for easier or harder, as I'm feeling more or less energetic.

What this means is I can peddle to the local PO, rather than jumping in the car, and if I don't necessarily want to go anywhere, I can set up the bike on the trainer (I tend to leave it on there, but it takes 2 minutes to put it on or take it off), then I'll have something downloaded from iPlayer and watch that as I peddle for 30 minutes or an hour.

Exercise doesn't have to be a big deal. I now make sure I park further away from the supermarket entrance, or if I use a bus (admittedly not too often), I get off a stop early. It all adds up and needn't be a big event or a "thing" on it's own.

Good luck with it all, but it sounds like little steps might help you out. Too much too soon could just be counter productive?

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BeadieJay - Have thought about asking your GP for a referral to have Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Sessions? :)
I've tried that in the past, and it doesn't work for me. I'm hoping things will improve though, because I'm at a point where I want to get better, whereas in the past I was quite comfortable being stuck at home all day every day!

Reactions: Freema

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the welcome and support, it means a lot :)

I will check out the threads that @Susikav mentioned, as I'm definitely struggling with my morning/fasting bloods.

Thank you again :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@BeadieJay - I wish you every success - Good Wishes sent your way. :)

Reactions: BeadieJay

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi Beadie Jay,

I wish you a good progress in treating your diabetes. I think you are taking care of it. As for depression and anxiety, I have read in my diabetes books, that there is a strong connection. In my case, they preceded diabetes. But you are right about exercise, as it does help. Wishing you the best through education.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@BeadieJay

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Congratulations on the progress you have been making - not easy to do but so worth it. As mentioned above, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want to and someone will be able to help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Welcome. I like your new goal. I can definitely relate to anxiety and metformin only bubble.
I'm goals are long term and I'm happy with progress to date.
I'm not the finished article but not many of us are.
I need a badge with 'work in progress' on it.
You're going to love our discussions and general chat. Feel free to nip into type 2 life thread. You'll be made very welcome there too. :)

Reactions: BeadieJay