Don't believe all the doctors say...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....and me. 5 stones and getting thinner.......

wiflib

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
LisaLQ wrote:
“I was also told to avoid eggs as much as possible because of cholesterol. 14 eggs and 2lbs of cheese a week?! I'd put back on the 3 stone I'd lost in seconds on that much!”

You will find that the collective experience on this forum is rather different to that given out in most clinics and is based on the personal experience of people diagnosed with diabetes. It works for us - so test and see how it works for you! 8)

LisaLQ

I'm already losing weight the healthy way - and watching my carb intake (sticking to low GI). Stuffing myself with fat wont help me lose weight, if it did, I'd never have got this big in the first place! :lol:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Lisa

If what you are doing is working for you that is great - keep it up! 8)

We are all different and what works for one doesn't always work for another whatever label is stuck on the box. :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
LisaLQ said:
I'm already losing weight the healthy way - and watching my carb intake (sticking to low GI). Stuffing myself with fat wont help me lose weight, if it did, I'd never have got this big in the first place! :lol:

Lisa,

it would be sycophantic of me if I was to say I agree with you because you seem a nice person (Which you do :D )

However I assume you have come to this forum to learn from everyone's experiences. If that is the case, please look and learn, if you have already made up your mind then good luck to you...

Alll the best - Steve.

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bluenosesol said:
Lisa,

I lost 5 stone eating that much....!!!!!!!.....and have kept it off !!!!

I did stop eating the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta,cereals and unlimited fruit though....

Good Luck - Steve

Hi Steve

Out of interest (and particularly cos my weight loss has plataued horribly), what is your daily diet now? (or weekly)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tony,

my diet :-

Breakfast
5 days a week, 2eggs (ommellete or fried), 2 bacon or 2 saveloys and half a tin of toms.
1 day a week 3 matso crackers or melba toast with cheese and ham
1 day a week kippers with boiled eggs.
Lunch
Chopped salad with cold meats, cheeses, walnuts, mayo and olive oil, Hartleys lo sugar jelly and greek yoghurt
Dinner, choice of :-
Home made chicken curry with fake rice (grated cauli, microd for 4 minutes)
Chilli with Fake Rice, Bolognaise with fake rice, Steamed frozen salmon with stri fried veg, steak with roast veg, Stir Fried chicken, pork or beef etc (Always veg and meat or fish)
For pudding 333g of frozen rhubarb microd for 8 minutes + cinammmon+sweetener+greek yoghurt.

Some mild variations plus snack on nuts and cheeses and saveloys.

Also about once a fortninght have a carvery, lots of meat and veg or an Asian buffet or a Wetherspoons burger meal with extra cheese, bacon, burger and side salad, no chips or bun.
I drink half a bottle of wine, 80 mils of gin (+slimeline tonic), 2 pints of real ale or 2 cans of Sainsburys Diat Pils (4g carbs per can!!) about 3 or 4 times a week.

I never (or very rarely) eat bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals, rice - and eat very limited fruit.

All the best - Steve.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Steve,

This is slightly off topic; but on the booze The Co-Op does a snappily titled own brand called 'Medium Strength' lager and according to the can it only has 2.2 carbs per can. It's the lowest that I can find and that seems pretty good to me..!

Dillinger

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thx Dillinger....its now on my radar!

Steve

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bluenosesol said:
Tony,

my diet :-

Breakfast
5 days a week, 2eggs (ommellete or fried), 2 bacon or 2 saveloys and half a tin of toms.
1 day a week 3 matso crackers or melba toast with cheese and ham
1 day a week kippers with boiled eggs.
Lunch
Chopped salad with cold meats, cheeses, walnuts, mayo and olive oil, Hartleys lo sugar jelly and greek yoghurt
Dinner, choice of :-
Home made chicken curry with fake rice (grated cauli, microd for 4 minutes)
Chilli with Fake Rice, Bolognaise with fake rice, Steamed frozen salmon with stri fried veg, steak with roast veg, Stir Fried chicken, pork or beef etc (Always veg and meat or fish)
For pudding 333g of frozen rhubarb microd for 8 minutes + cinammmon+sweetener+greek yoghurt.

Some mild variations plus snack on nuts and cheeses and saveloys.

Also about once a fortninght have a carvery, lots of meat and veg or an Asian buffet or a Wetherspoons burger meal with extra cheese, bacon, burger and side salad, no chips or bun.
I drink half a bottle of wine, 80 mils of gin (+slimeline tonic), 2 pints of real ale or 2 cans of Sainsburys Diat Pils (4g carbs per can!!) about 3 or 4 times a week.

I never (or very rarely) eat bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals, rice - and eat very limited fruit.

All the best - Steve.

Cheers Steve

I think I'll have a try at the omelettes and the lunch salads for a few weeks; see if that can give me a kick start. And I'll cut down on fruit, as well.

And I'll make a more conscious attempt to swap ale for wine after next weekend (last 6N rugby one).

See if I can drop another stone or so, that'd be good.

lionrampant

Pumpkin said:
Do some consultant doctors not have a clue?

At my local diabetic clinic the diabetic consultant spied a banana in my bag. He asked what it was for and I informed him that I always tried to carry a banana in case of a hypo.

He scowled and warned me that bananas are full of sugar - and that is why tennis players ate them at Wimbeldon.

He added that bananas were, 'Very bad for white diabetics. God gave us the fruit of the land as He thought appropriate. You may eat apples, plums, pears - but as I am of another continent I may partake of bananas, pineapples. That is God's design.'

He has since moved on to warmer climes. I still carry a banana. And I am not afraid to use it.

When men of science start using God as the foundation of an argument, I get scared.

john12188

i like a banana but not to often . there is lots i can find that i can eat in small amounts . testing is the key to success . if im not sure i give it a try then test later ,but i never over do it. most people i chat with find they can eat many things that dont effect them . its a case of trial and error. im afraid i have lost all faith in my doctors and diabetic nurses . i had my yearly check up but they never tested my blood untill 3 weeks later. the doctor checked my blood pressure then my feet . i asked about going on the scales he said thats not important (not what i was told) then he said lets check your blood pressure , i said u just did that , his reply did i ? lol . now i am waiting for a hospital appointment as they say my kidneys are only 50% active . but from past experiance this corrects its self . im still waiting for that appointment

drjohnjack

Some doctors are frequently having a diagnosis that is not exact. So, it is better to have a second opinion on some other doctors.