Pump
what hope have we got if even this site gets it wrong :(

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Nice to know that it is all our fault.

Reactions: zand

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
As appalling goes, that's really up there. Is there someone at Diabetes.co.uk that I can remonstrate with? It's misleading, offensive and totally bonkers.

Twoplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bumping this thread, would appreciate a reply thanks.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wow, I am not in the UK but that is ridiculous.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
what hope have we got if even this site gets it wrong :([/QUOTE

It's disgraceful that the top diabetes forum in Europe makes such a **** up, plus no one from Administration has commented, shakes head :(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's offensive to T2's as well. Not at all helpful, I thought this place was about supporting diabetics, not blaming us.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now if only someone had told my immune system we could have prevented this mess we're in...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm not a great twitter user, but I have just attempted to place the poster and a comment on the Diabetes.co.uk Twitter feed. I hope I've got the terminology right. The more I've thought about this poster, the more I'm thinking that it's somebody's poor idea of a joke. Fellow Twitterers (whatever the word is) see if it's where I think it is please.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Putting my T1 hat on for a moment, whilst I agree that the lack of distinguishing between type 1 and type 2 diabetes isn't great for a diabetes site, the other claims, namely that exercise and healthy diet can prevent the onset of Type 2 Diabetes aren't particularly out of place. I couldn't possibly comment on the smoking/cholesterol, which seem spurious.

The poster doesn't blame people with T2. There is a vast amount of research that covers the statement about healthy eating and exercise reducing the risk. The largest study contained over 3,000 participants and reported that where people had increased glucose tolerance, there was a reduction of 58% in the number that went on to develop T2 with intensive diet and exercise intervention (all studies are listed here: http://www.idf.org/diabetes-prevention/prevention-studies/studies). This is also in line with Roy Taylor's findings in relation to personal fat thresholds.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
healthy diet

And a healthy diet is? I'm inclined to say that following a healthy diet with low fat and high carbs is probably part of the reason I'm here in the first place. I don't smoke but I wonder what the connection is. Perhaps they should also mention the myriad of other things that might prevent diabetes type II, like avoiding statins maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeccyB

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Hi all,

Thanks for commenting. This was flagged up with us yesterday and we immediately started amending the poster to be more specific. We understand your concerns and we are addressing them. The team is all working on the design and checking over everything. We are very passionate about spreading awareness and supporting everyone on the forum- we want you to know that your voices are heard and we appreciate every one of you who helps us make this place better and better.

If you have any further concerns or wish to speak to me, please feel free to contact me on here or you can email me at [email protected]

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback @CaptainEarle

but my main beef is the statement that eating a balanced diet can help with preventing D.
- since most of the world (and every HCP I have met) now seems to think that a 'balanced' diet consists of stuffing carbs for up to 50% of the plate, then I think statements like that are move likely to accelerate the development of T2 rather than slow it down.

Although yeah, exercise is good. Always good. So long as we can find a form of exercise that works for us, allowing for the various health issues that often accompany metabolic syndrome and raised insulin resistance.

Reactions: dawnmc

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Thanks for the feedback @CaptainEarle

but my main beef is the statement that eating a balanced diet can help with preventing D.
- since most of the world (and every HCP I have met) now seems to think that a 'balanced' diet consists of stuffing carbs for up to 50% of the plate, then I think statements like that are move likely to accelerate the development of T2 rather than slow it down.

Although yeah, exercise is good. Always good. So long as we can find a form of exercise that works for us, allowing for the various health issues that often accompany metabolic syndrome and raised insulin resistance.

I completely understand. I'll be passing that feedback over to the team as well. We want everyone to feel supported, and we completely hear what you're saying. Every day we try to make the Forum a better place and it's down to people like yourself that help us do that, so thank you for helping us improve.

Reactions: BeccyB

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
image.jpeg

NHS bill tops 11 billion pounds as lifestyle associated illnesses keep rising

The image and statement here are from a DCUK newsletter email received yesterday. Perhaps this could be amended too. I find it demoralising and insulting that DCUK should promote the notion that we choose to develop diabetes through lifestyle habits such as smoking and alcohol consumption.

This does not make me feel supported @CaptainEarle it makes me feel blamed.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps we shouldn't get offended by things that aren't offensive? The fact of the matter is that some people are able to prevent the onset of diabetes by making those lifestyle changes.

I would argue that this thread is a perfect example of why that poster should remain in its current form: it has caught our attention and we are now discussing the issue....isn't that what this is all about? Increasing awareness?

Now if the poster had a grossly obese person on it with a caption like "This is what diabetes looks like," I'd agree that's ignorant, but being upset about a poster that advocates a healthy lifestyle is downright silly.

Side note: I would agree that the word "Healthy" is subjective, but again that supports the benefit of this poster. It invites people to think about what the word "Healthy" means to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.