Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It needs investigating hun. See your diabetes team. :) they'll help you. Let me know by PM if they don't.
Well it is even higher today. 18.4 :( Thank you for that suggestion ickihun I will do that.

Reactions: Prem51

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am really struggling (and not understanding!!) with my fasting bloods.

Yesterday it was 7.7 after a nighttime bsl of 6.7; this morning it was 8.0 after a nighttime bsl of 5.0 I took my blood again after half an hour and it had shot up to 8.5. So then I had a shower and took my blood after that - horrified to see it was up to 9.9 Only had a cup of coffee (no sweeteners!) so am guessing the "activity" of the shower put my bloods up. Am definitely not happy :arghh:

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
4.8 today (I did have some Alpro soya yoghurt last night just before bed with cinnamon in) so maybe this brought my levels down from yesterday's 6.4 (and I don't feel quite so much like a rung out dishrag now from the cold!)

D

debrasue

Yesterday it was 7.7 after a nighttime bsl of 6.7; this morning it was 8.0 after a nighttime bsl of 5.0 I took my blood again after half an hour and it had shot up to 8.5. So then I had a shower and took my blood after that - horrified to see it was up to 9.9 Only had a cup of coffee (no sweeteners!) so am guessing the "activity" of the shower put my bloods up. Am definitely not happy :arghh:
Don't fret - I think this is probably simply due to what's known as liver dump, or Dawn Phenomenon. This is when your liver "thinks" you've gone into starvation mode and your BGs are dropping too low, so it helpfully "dumps" stored glucose into your bloodstream to even things out. The longer you leave it, or the more things you do before having some food, the higher the readings can get.
Some members find that a small high-protein snack just before bed (such as a small piece of cheese or a few nuts), and a cup of coffee with cream upon waking, can act as preventative measures. Most members also take FBG readings as soon as possible upon waking, before starting the activities of the day such as showering, etc.
Give it a whirl and let us know how you get on!

Reactions: BeadieJay

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Morning all.

6.9 - A first for me to be below 7. Went for a night time paddle last night, that must have helped.
How lovely DumfriesDik.....both the bloods and the paddle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

the coffee can stress some peoples liver by getting stress hormones up in the morning.... then maybe better to drink coffee only in the afternoon... if one also has high cortizol

Last edited: