Diabetes prevention poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I can't agree with the comment above. I don't want my 5 year old to think that she could have prevented her diabetes, or tell her she shouldn't be offended by ignorance. She should understand the facts.

Thanks admins for replying.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I would argue that this thread is a perfect example of why that poster should remain in its current form: it has caught our attention and we are now discussing the issue....isn't that what this is all about? Increasing awareness?

Surely it doesn't have to attract OUR attention. We've obviously all sat on our bums eating the wrong foods and smoking like a trooper. No? Just me then. LOL I've asked several people who have seen similar awareness posters and they have all said the same thing "It doesn't involve me because I exercise don't smoke and have a healthy diet". It's the healthy diet that I find interesting because I know these people, they don't do sensible although they feel they have because they're not overweight.

When I think of the changes I have HAD to make and for very good reasons, I really can't see a non diabetic taking any notice of the poster because they won't feel it's aimed at them and why should they change their ways?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Like many of us we often face discrimination because of our conditions. My insulin producing cells were destroyed by my immune system when I was 4 and that wasn't caused by diet or anything else as far as I know - it was just genetic. Even though I'm athletic, look young for my years and still participate in extreme sports I occasionally get idiots who try to blame me for being type 1. The uneducated and those who lack experience tend to rely on vague blanket statements. Not the first time that has happened and won;t be the last whether it's about diabetes or any other condition.

Now having said that - I didn't read the post that started this thread - Only because I wanted to start my day on the right foot LOL .....

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Sorry, I can't agree with the comment above. I don't want my 5 year old to think that she could have prevented her diabetes, or tell her she shouldn't be offended by ignorance. She should understand the facts.

You're welcome. We want to work towards making everyone's experiences here a positive one, so once again, thank you for flagging this up. We hope your little one is well!

Please feel free to contact me on here or you can email me at [email protected] if you need help with anything.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole situation would be better all round if there was actually a concensus on diabetes.co.uk that in many, if not most /all cases, T2 diabetes can be effectively managed by a low carbohydrate diet and lifestyle changes. But it would seem that there isn't. And do the majority of members still believe that the cholesterol hypothesis is true - and reducing cholesterol is essential to manage diabetes? Personally I believe that it is irrelevant at best, and reducing cholesterol by drugs is positively harmful for the diabetic (because it will always result in higher blood glucose).
I really feel that modern prescribing practices / medical interventions will actually cause the demise of the NHS - and when we have the power and ability to make lifestyle changes to reduce the cost of our treatment we should do so.
As for smoking, is it more relevant to T2 diabetics than it is for hundreds of other chronic, long term conditions? I'm not so sure. For me, T2 diabetics should be named 'Insulin Resistance' then the poster would have no relevance to your daughter @Twoplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Some children and teens have a hard enough time with feeling 'different' and being 'bullied' I don't want my granddaughter being subjected to any ignorance either.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be a growing debate over something that "HQ" has confirmed is being changed. Would it not be helpful to allow folks to get on with it?

Reactions: Brunneria
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There seems to be a growing debate over something that "HQ" has confirmed is being changed. Would it not be helpful to allow folks to get on with it?

Hopefully they will, but members are just airing their views and I haven't seen anything that has been out of place.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My concern is that 'HQ' is not up to date with current thinking.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If anyone bothered to check, the poster is in fact from 2013.

I just looked at the poster and no date was on there. Also if it was from 2013, then why is it still about ?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just looked at the poster and no date was on there. Also if it was from 2013, then why is it still about ?
I'm not sure it's supposed to be.

I think it may be an artefact of the forum reboot a couple of weeks back.

The date can be found in the "properties" on the PDF file, and the folder that it's in is inaccessible directly, which suggests that it isn't supposed to be out in public.

Reactions: Brunneria
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not sure it's supposed to be.

I think it may be an artefact of the forum reboot a couple of weeks back.

The date can be found in the "properties" on the PDF file, and the folder that it's in is inaccessible directly, which suggests that it isn't supposed to be out in public.

I only saw the poster that was actually posted by the OP, so again no date. Not everyone will see to upload or download an PDF file. And by the posts, members wold seem to be 'bothered'.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The posters are all linked from http://www.diabetes.co.uk/posters.html so can be readily found by any visitor to the main site.

The one prompting this thread seems to have been changed by adding a specific reference to T2, although the original version is still in 'downloads'. The issues whether the actual messages are correct as others have said remain open.

Twoplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the official line from diabetes.co.uk "T2 diabetes costs the NHS 10% of it's budget and can be prevented"?

Wow.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If you download the file, a PDF, and then right click the file in Windows Explorer. then look at it's properties, it says it was created on 13th September 2013 at 03:06:43 (to be exact LOL).

It's intriguing.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Is the official line from diabetes.co.uk "T2 diabetes costs the NHS 10% of it's budget and can be prevented"?
I share your annoyance (not anger, must keep BP under control). If you look at the figures which I'll complete when I find them again, back in a minute.

CaptainEarle

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mint chocolate, peanut butter and moths. Bleugh.
Hi all, thanks for your feedback and helping us improve the forum.

We are reviewing what has been mentioned. Once again please feel free to email me at [email protected] or inbox me if you require any assistance.

Wishing you all a brilliant remainder of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.