breakfast

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Poppy, you're right, baking yeast causes the bread to rise by converting the sugars in the dough into carbon dioxide. This forms bubbles in the mixture, making the bread lighter and spongier.

The low carb bread doesn't rise a great deal, probably for this very reason. All the same, I think it's really nice and chewy to eat so it's none the worse for that. Adding sugar just seems wrong!

All the best,

fergus

loopy-loo

Hi fergus,
I just wanted to say that today I managed to make a loaf using your bread recipe! :D

It has taken me this long to gather all the ingredients together, (i finally succumbed and paid the outrageous £5 p&p for the wheat gluten)

Although it was only my first attempt I was pleasantly surprised, very tasty, and thoroughly enjoyed it with lashings of butter, as was your recommendation :lol:

I have just checked my bg and its 4.2, thats about two and a quarter hours after my meal, which was roasted sardines, peppers, onions, cheese, spinach and your bread, not bad I reckon!

The bread didnt rise as much as I thought it may considering the amount of yeast added, but wasn't as brick-like as some wholemeal ones I've made in the past!

Are you still thinking of making and selling some? If so, I will gladly recommend it.

Thanks

lindsey

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lyndsey,

I'm really glad the bread worked out for you. Keep at it, because it does get easier to make, and the results get better, with practice. The novelty of eating bread and still having normal blood sugars doesn't seem to wear off though.

I've tried to get Waitrose interested in selling it, to no avail. Yet. Thanks for the recommendation idea, I might get back to you on that!

All the best,

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sue,

They're scary people, Tesco's. Probably eat me, not my bread, for breakfast!

All the best,

fergus

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is the recipe your own invention? What are the essential ingredients?

zanc

fergus

just made a loaf of your bread. I used the wrong type of yeast (needed priming before use) so didn't rise very much at all, but I must say it did taste nice. I'll definitely be trying to make it again.

Rob

DiabeticGeek

I have been experimenting with low carb pancakes, modifying a recipe from Richard Bernsteins book. The base is a "flour" you make by grinding up GG Bran Crispbread (which you can get in most health food shops) in a blender. Make this by mixing the flour from two crispbreads with an egg and a desertfull of single cream and add a little water until you have a mixture the consistency of normal pancake batter. This should give you enough for two small pancakes - cook them in a frying pan in a little olive oil until, turning (or tossing!) half way through. If you wish you can add various spices to the mix, but I prefer it plain (preferably with bacon!).

Linda59

Hi all,
Can I just say that when I make bread in the machine I use slenda instead of sugar and it works fine, I also use olive oil but 1 spoon less than recipe says for sunflower oil

:)

zanc

I thought the sugar was there to feed the yeast. Surely using Splenda would only make the bread sweeter.

By the way I tried Fergus' bread again. This time with the fast acting yeast and it still did not rise. I am now suspecting it could be the age of the gluten. Still tastes OK, but I feel that having a lighter bread (more air in it) means I can have bigger slices.

Rob

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I find the bbread rises best if you use quite warm water in the mixture, to wake the yeast up. Then roll it between your hands into a sausage shape and lay it in a tin, without pushing it into the corners. Covered and kept warm for an hour, it should rise a bit giving you bigger, more sandwichy slices.

All the best,

fergus

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Try using fresh yeast. I get mine from the local baker, its always fresher and more active than yeast purchased from wholefood shops etc. Put the yeast into a small jug, mix in the fresh yeast with tepid water, cover and keep warm. It should start to froth in 10 minutes so. Mix the dry ingredients ts by hand. Add oil, yeast liquid and knead. Leave in the mixing bowl, cover with clinghfilm or a damp tea towel and leave in warm, draught free surroundings to prove until the bulk doubles. Knock back and if using bread tins weigh out the appropriate amount of dough for the tin size. Shape the dough and press lightly into the bread tin. Cover with a damp tea towel and let the dough prove for a second time. Double proving gives a better distribution of bubbles and an overall lighter loaf. You should notice that the mix feels 'lighter' and if pressed has a 'spring'

Instead of using water I occasionally use fresh full cream milk or reconstituted powdered milk. I also quite often add an egg to the mix.

If you want a nice crust, place a bowl of warm water in the oven.

If you are feeling lazy, mix in an electric mixer using a dough hook attachment.

An alternative method is to mix half the dry ingredients (except the salt) with the liquid yeast mix and oil, cover and leave overnight in a warm, draught free place. You should have something that looks and feels like a sticky mass. In the morning add the remainder of the dry ingredients and fold in using a metal spoon. Empty onto a floured, or oatmealed surface and knead gently for a few minutes. Divide and weigh for the appropriate tin size. Start the oven and put the tins in. Time from the point that the oven temperature reaches the level for baking.

Don't use fresh yeast with a bread making machine, it does not work!

I find it cheaper to batch bake bread and freeze until required. My fan assisted oven takes 8*1lb tins.