When your BG spikes...how do you feel?

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you tell when you've eaten something which has spiked your BG levels? If so...can you describe how you feel?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I personally cant tell what my levels are from how I feel unless I am very low. Your meter is your guide. High blood sugar usually doesn't have specific symptoms you can nail down. Tiredness, bathroom trips, irritability, etc can be high blood sugar but they can be a hundred other things as well. Your meter is the only way to be sure. Wash and rinse your hands thoroughly first and make sure they are dry.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lethargic, flat emotional affect, and brain fog. That all starts at about 7.2 for me.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can get a headache if I spike
I am sure you can get a headache if you spike. I am equally sure you can get a headache for other reasons as well.
How do you know what caused it if you don't test?

Not picking on you, just saying any of these kinds of symptoms can have any number of causes.

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
I find myself falling asleep, in that I loose track of time and realize that I dropped off, when I go higher than about 9.00.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not aware of any symptoms that I can put down to sugar levels. I was even diagnosed when I went to the surgery for something else. I felt perfectly well. The only time I have felt unwell since diagnosis is from adverse side effects to pills which are supposed to help.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back before I knew what was happening/before I was diagnosed, I had symptoms like @cazza54 describes but I suspect I was in the teens when it was happening. Since I got things more or less under control, can't say I notice spikes.

What I do tend to notice is pins/needles and weird sensations around my knees and calves after I have a liver dump, even if it doesn't push me very high.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
???? When I get a reaction that is usually related to spiking, I test immediately! And sometimes I notice that a spike I have already tested correlates with a headache or migraine
I was trying to make a point based on the OP's question that you cannot rely on symptoms alone without testing. I am not disputing or doubting what you said about headaches, nor was I saying you personally do not test to know that a high has this effect on you. That is why I said I was not picking on you but using the example of a headache being a symptom of high blood sugar. I am sorry you took it personally, it was not meant that way.