new member needs advice about Contour Next

cinders4819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys and gals,
i was wondering if anyone has received a contour next blood testing kit and are having trouble getting the testing strips from their doctors/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I see from your profile you are on insulin, which means you should have sufficient test strips from your doctor. Are you saying you don't get any at all, or not enough?

Reactions: Freema

cinders4819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome,

I see from your profile you are on insulin, which means you should have sufficient test strips from your doctor. Are you saying you don't get any at all, or not enough?
i didnt receive the kit from my doctor. it was bought as it is a lot smaller than the one they gave me. i have been to doctors and they have told me that they dont prescribe the testing strips for that kit. so i only had the ones that came with the kit initially

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Next Contour kit as it was given to me by the hospital. All my strips are on prescription and I've never had any problems with getting them, in fact I have a surplus that I'd be happy to help you with if you can PM me

cinders4819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Next Contour kit as it was given to me by the hospital. All my strips are on prescription and I've never had any problems with getting them, in fact I have a surplus that I'd be happy to help you with if you can PM me
Thankyou Poshtotty, i would if i knew how to lol. im new on this and not sure how to pm you.

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I went to see my nurse last week, and she has given me the latest testing kit, which is mylife Pura X, simple to use and keeps records of every test and date done.

Duotrans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys and gals,
i was wondering if anyone has received a contour next blood testing kit and are having trouble getting the testing strips from their doctors/
Hi
There should have been a card in beside the instructions etc for you to take to the GP to have it put on your repeat prescription.
Given be them the PIP Code 368-2119 failing that call tel:0345 600 6030

Reactions: cinders4819
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys and gals,

You should ask for the contact details of the authority determining what your GP can prescribe; you will then have to argue your case [as I did] for permission to have Contour Next strips prescribed by your GP. The case is quite simple, the cheaper test equipment [in my case Nexus Gluco Rx] that they would prefer you to use is less accurate; basically you get what you pay for & accuracy isn't cheap. You will need to take some comparative tests between your equipment & what the GP has given you to prove this point but in the end [if you are tenacious] they will give the GP permission to prescribe what you want. However, they will still try to ration you to 4 strips a day which really isn't enough.

BaKeRk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys and gals,
Things are slightly different here in Scotland. All prescriptions are free and thus there is a tendency to try and get patients to use the cheapest products/medications. I too had bought my Context Next testing equipment and did struggle a bit to persuade my GP to prescribe the Novomix 30 cartridges, rather than pre-filled pens on the basis that as I also suffer from psoriatic arthritis, I needed a sturdy metal pen, rather than the erratic and jerky plastic one. They did want to impose a limit on the number of test strips but my argument was that the DVLA insist on 2-hourly tests when one is out driving and also I have to discard strips if my arthritis prevents their correct use. It's worth pursuing! Keith Baker.

teasytux

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys and gals,

Hello Cinders4819,

Here is a quote from the LancetMagazine web site 2015 regarding the Final Recommendations of Xultophy.pdf -
(NICE recommend that treatment to control blood glucose should be tailored to each person's clinical needs, with safety, paramount.) I can send you the pdf file if needed.

If you had a bad hypo, I wonder what a paramedic would say to you if you said my GP restricts my Blood Testing Strips?

I cannot believe how your surgery can restrict the use of any strips for blood testing as you are taking Xultophy with metformin. I did know the Contour strips were about twice the price of the cheap Nexus RX strips as I used to use the Contour Next. My surgery went on a 'Cheapest Drugs For All' program which was fine for Pills etc.. They moaned about my strip prices until I said the difference between the Next and Surgery given meter, the Optium Xceed was pennies. I had also gone through 3 Surgery Xceed meters versus my still perfect working Contour Next (I was given via The Diabetes.co.uk website and Bayer!)

It, in my opinion, is a cost saving exercise to restrict blood testing strips. You are a type 2 diabetic taking insulin with metformin and should be allowed whatever meter and prescribed strips you want. Nice of PoshTotty to send you some overstock strips although a bit naughty if hospital prescribed to them!

Good luck with your Contour Next strips, hope all the member info helps you to get them prescribed!
Regards Tux ;)

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Cinders4819,

Nice of PoshTotty to send you some overstock strips although a bit naughty if hospital prescribed to them!

Good luck with your Contour Next strips, hope all the member info helps you to get them prescribed!
Regards Tux ;)

Naughty?! Only the meter was supplied by the hospital. I'm one of the extremely lucky ones who has the strips prescribed by my GP. Because of an error with an earlier prescription which meant I had to purchase my own for several weeks, when the prescription strips finally came through, I had a surplus. Consider them the ones I purchased myself if you like!

Thanks for the other helpful info

cinders4819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Cinders4819,

Here is a quote from the LancetMagazine web site 2015 regarding the Final Recommendations of Xultophy.pdf -
(NICE recommend that treatment to control blood glucose should be tailored to each person's clinical needs, with safety, paramount.) I can send you the pdf file if needed.

If you had a bad hypo, I wonder what a paramedic would say to you if you said my GP restricts my Blood Testing Strips?

I cannot believe how your surgery can restrict the use of any strips for blood testing as you are taking Xultophy with metformin. I did know the Contour strips were about twice the price of the cheap Nexus RX strips as I used to use the Contour Next. My surgery went on a 'Cheapest Drugs For All' program which was fine for Pills etc.. They moaned about my strip prices until I said the difference between the Next and Surgery given meter, the Optium Xceed was pennies. I had also gone through 3 Surgery Xceed meters versus my still perfect working Contour Next (I was given via The Diabetes.co.uk website and Bayer!)

It, in my opinion, is a cost saving exercise to restrict blood testing strips. You are a type 2 diabetic taking insulin with metformin and should be allowed whatever meter and prescribed strips you want. Nice of PoshTotty to send you some overstock strips although a bit naughty if hospital prescribed to them!

Regards Tux ;)
Thankyou for that info Tux.

yes it is very nice of posh to send me surplus. i can not thank her enough. Its nice to know there are still people willing to help, even if it is a little naughty, as you put it.
all the best

cinders4819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Naughty?! Only the meter was supplied by the hospital. I'm one of the extremely lucky ones who has the strips prescribed by my GP. Because of an error with an earlier prescription which meant I had to purchase my own for several weeks, when the prescription strips finally came through, I had a surplus. Consider them the ones I purchased myself if you like!

Thanks for the other helpful info
Xx

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2, have been since 1980. Started on Insulin two years ago and using a Contour Next USB meter. Testing 3 times a day. No problem with test strips, and the beauty of this meter is I can down load results to my laptop. Hope you get some joy soon.