OMG I am shocked!

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I have my suspicions about doner kebabs as well. It's chicken or lamb for me now. That is if I can get them to deliver with 1 1/2 hours!

Reactions: Freema

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch!

But that's why I'm always surprised when someone claims reversal based on a normal (or prediabetic) reading after eating a low carb diet. I consider that control - which will vanish with the reintroduction of carbs. Sorry you learned the hard way!
Do loose heart of a remission .. I can eat whatever carbs I want now with no impact on my bs .. but I choose to stay with my LCHF way of eating because I like it :)

Reactions: ickihun

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's good to know John, thank you. Do you remember any brands that you've used in the past which has impacted your results so I can avoid them?
Well Pearls transparent soap for one and I think dove soaps as well I tend now to clean my hands prior to testing by rinsing with just plain old running tap water and then drying thoroughly. The only way to really be sure is to test before and after washing hands with a particular soap I avoid any heavily scented or perfumed soaps.

Reactions: Freema

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
The sauce, the sauce, beware the sauce; often laden with sugar. Caesar dressing is one of the lowest sugar-content dressings.

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did something similar without washing hands. I made a jelly and peaches for church luncheon club and checked bgl got 38.0 frightened the life out of myself until my o.h spotted my mistake
Washed hands in hot soapy water got 6.5 jelly cubes have a near heart attack to answer for, don't you just love it.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do loose heart of a remission .. I can eat whatever carbs I want now with no impact on my bs .. but I choose to stay with my LCHF way of eating because I like it :)
I'm still working on remission (you are in remission, by my definition). I've moved the needle a bit - an OGTT now puts me at prediabetic, and my BG has been consistently low enough this week (the peak, so far, after eating, is 6.1) that I'm hoping I have moved it a bit farther, although I'm not testing it by dumping carbs at it just yet.

Even if I do hit remission, I'll stay mostly low carb - I don't necessarily like this way of eating, but I suspect that even if I maintained my current weight (my lowest adult weight), if I regularly ate high carb meals it would pull me out of remission. But I will plan for regular treats of the carbs I miss most (mainly bread).

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch!

But that's why I'm always surprised when someone claims reversal based on a normal (or prediabetic) reading after eating a low carb diet. I consider that control - which will vanish with the reintroduction of carbs. Sorry you learned the hard way!

Hi Neohdiver - I know the doctor called me and told me that I was pre-diabetic because the second blood test was lower (due to diet) but I would actually agree with you and say it was a controlled reduction rather than reversal. I really think if I eat what I want I will definitely show that I am a true Type 2. To be honest I didn't want to get that diagnosis officially because it means my insurance costs stay lower - especially after my SAH and high BP etc. Around 4 years ago I was turned down for life insurance due to my medical history - so I don't want anything else to work against me :-S I think I will claim reversal if I can eat all the carbs I want and for it not to make any difference (or at least no more than it does to a 'normal' person eating carbs for an extended period of time). I'm not there yet :-D xx

oak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
being told what to do without the full picture
through it had mint sauce on it so didn't finish it :-S :-( Lesson learnt.

It's possible that the Mint Sauce was the culprit. Unless you made it yourself it will contain quite a bit of sugar.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I didn't want to get that diagnosis officially because it means my insurance costs stay lower - especially after my SAH and high BP etc. Around 4 years ago I was turned down for life insurance due to my medical history - so I don't want anything else to work against me :-S

If you're in the US, all that changed with the affordable care act. You can't be turned down, or charged more, for pre-existing conditions. (Due to way too many, and way too costly ($60,000+/year, every year), health conditions in our family I keep a very close watch on this. :)

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible that the Mint Sauce was the culprit. Unless you made it yourself it will contain quite a bit of sugar.
Yes I was tucking in merrily and not even really registering it was on there until half way through and suddenly thinking OMG...what have I done...I'm eating mint sauce (which hubby had ordered for me without thinking) which is why I left the rest of it. Being vigilant isn't second nature to me at the moment but it will need to be. Thank god I haven't got a serious peanut allergy. I shall blame brain fog! xx

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're in the US, all that changed with the affordable care act. You can't be turned down, or charged more, for pre-existing conditions. (Due to way too many, and way too costly ($60,000+/year, every year), health conditions in our family I keep a very close watch on this. :)
Really? wow...I'm in the UK and the insurance companies seem to do what they like.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really? wow...I'm in the UK and the insurance companies seem to do what they like.
Hmm...I had the impression that there was some form of state sponsored health care in the UK - which is why I thought you might be from the US (where a lot of people still don't know access to health insurance was one of the main changes from the affordable care act. I've helped more people than I can count get insurance when they thought nothing would be available to them).

Of course, that may all change after the elections in a couple of months . . .

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was under the impression that she was talking about life insurance.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - tried to take out Keyman Insurance for my business after my brain haemorrhage and the insurance companies wouldn't touch me. Now I've survived 4 years they might change their minds!!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am in Canada but it is the same kind of thing here. If you have a pre-existing condition or even if you are overweight you either get denied outright or the premiums are so high it is not doable.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the US / Canada go by the same values of a persons weight as the UK. At 83 kilos and 1.625m I am considered severely obese and a little more weight I would be morbidly obese. I'm aiming to get down to 'obese' first and then work on average weight :-D LOL

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I believe it is all based on BMI now but most height weight tables are sourced from insurance companies. According to those tables at 5' 2" I should weigh 105 pounds. At that weight I would be skeletally thin and very sickly looking. Those charts do not take build or muscle mass into account and I am built like a linebacker. A short one but oh well lol. My goal is 160 lbs which would be a size 10 for me.