Foot care

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm recovering from diabetes related foot surgery and realise that I need to take great care of my feet particularly around infection, thats what caused the surgery. Wondered if anyone uses sprays or oils or creams to help prevent infection of the feet and toes on a regular basis. I'm aware of things like tea tree oil but not sure whether it could be used neat or needs a carrier? Any advice or experiences much appreciated.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep mine hydrated with a variety of lotions, E45, aqueous cream, Vaseline, anything to keep the cracks away, which I was told is the entry point for infections. Once a day when I put my socks on.... I should do before I go to bed... but don't.
HTH
Aj

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using something called Allpressan cream, £10 a can, you can get it from amazon. It's quite good.

Reactions: Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wondered if anyone uses sprays or oils or creams to help prevent infection of the feet and toes on a regular basis

To prevent hard skin and cracks I use Flexitol Heel Balm, it was recommended to me by my Podiatrist a few years back and it's a great product.

Reactions: hankjam

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @marcusurillius. Just wondering is flexitol used only on heels or the whole foot please? Also do you or @noblehead use anything specifically antibiotic as well please?

Just the soles of the feet as far as I'm aware, it's used to prevent and soften hard skin.

Probably E45 would be fine for the top of the feet but I was told not to moisturise between the toes.

devans115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cracked skin is not my problem but loosing toe nails is. My GP says it is becasue of my diabetes and \I should expect this. But it worries me . Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did they do about it. Iam beginning to think it might be diet related.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice I've invested in a tube of flexitol heel balm and will start using it tonight

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Following @noblehead 's advice I've been using flexitol heel balm for a while and it does the job well. Just a heads up that it's on special in boots right now at £8.06 instead of £9.49, don't know how that compares with the interweb though .

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I don't have foot probs, but have always been fussy about keeping my feet moisturised and in good condition, no hard skin build up etc.
I find the best time to put cream on is after my evening bath, after drying well, I put cream on (liberally on heels) and pop a pair of cotton socks on. It helps the cream soak in overnight.

Reactions: Energize

julesXjaguar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm recovering from diabetes related foot surgery and realise that I need to take great care of my feet particularly around infection, thats what caused the surgery. Wondered if anyone uses sprays or oils or creams to help prevent infection of the feet and toes on a regular basis. I'm aware of things like tea tree oil but not sure whether it could be used neat or needs a carrier? Any advice or experiences much appreciated.
Flexitol for sure! And it is free on prescription to Diabetic UK NHS patients. My sister (non diabetic) swears by hemp cream for cracked heels. I use Flexitol heels and soles...and cotton socks to help it do its magic. Good luck and stay well.

Reactions: col101