FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi there,

First of all apologies if this has been asked before, but am curious to know what dose, those of you that are on Metformin, are on?

I have just started on it, (today!) and am on 1 x 500mg once a day, for 1st week, 2 x 500mg in week 2 and then 3 x 500mg from week 3 onwards. Obviously a total of 1500mg by 3rd week.

Thanks

grissom49

I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for about 18 months now. I started on one tablet a day and worked up to two tablets morning and night, a total of 4 tablets a day. I do know someone who is on about the same dosage as you so I guess it varies from individual to individual.

daisy5

Dislikes
Looking for a parking space
Housework, gardening
I take one dose of Metformin 500mg with my evening meal to get high fasting levels down which my doc says are because of insulin resistance.

I love cats too!

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Three x 500mg a day. Two tablets in the morning with breakfast, and one with evening meal.
Beware of the f@rts :lol: also expect the possibility of diarrhoea :mrgreen:
Wish my GP would have warned me of the dicky tum when I started them 2 yrs ago. I started on 3 a day straight off :evil:

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the input so far...

daisy5 - oh how many cats do you have? I have 2 - geriatrics - 18 yrs old next month - bless em!

cocacola - yes, am aware of the side ffects and am bracing myself for them! - maybe I'll be lucky and get none? Yeah, right!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I started on 3x 500mg 6 years ago, but since low carbing. I have cut back to 2 x 500. Although I do take an extra occasionally if my BG creeps up or I'm facing a bigger meal. Happens about once a week.
Hana

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Someone on the forum also mention 'beware of the wet f@rts' :lol: when starting Metformin.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hi There
I started on the gradual dose of 1x 500 daily for a few weeks, then 2 x 500 daily,
was ok on that for 2 years but am now up to 1 x 850 twice a day, I tend to take mine with my early evening meal and again at bedtime,
luckily the bum trumpets :oops: settled a while ago by taking them at these times!!!
Crofty,

Bazooka66

Hi there-

when I was diagnosed a type 2 I was not informed that taking 500x3 a day could be disastrous :shock: ! to the ole tummy...especially if you were eating 'spicey food/alcohol etc (I know...shouldnt have been living that way with it - but in denial at that time!)

Ive found if you have had a break from metformin & then go 'back on the wagon' it can literally wipe you out in terms of bad guts for a few days even on the same dose & eating more healthily. I cant risk a tablet at lunch due to my work, but take one with breakfast, dinner & a late night one.

Everything is fine now & my other half is rather pleased the shuffle to the bathroom with cries of 'Oh My God!' are a thing of the past.

Oops...Too Much Info

Ruth.Day

I was diagnosed last September and was prescribed 1x500mg. This was grdually increased over time and I am now taking 3x850mg daily.

andrewa

I started on x1 500 mg slow release two months ago taken with my evening meal. This had little effect so after a lecture from the GP on better eating (I thought I was being good but apparently I wasn't) so now I'm on 2x 500gm taken with evening meal. The increased wind aspect of things has definitely been noticeable! So far, fortunately, no stomach upset. :?

Andrew

TracyA

Dislikes
Liars and ignorant people.
I started on x2 500mg,then was moved to x4 aday so all in all 2000mg.I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.I was one of the lucky ones and had no side effects (knock on wood) lol. :D

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Started on x1 500 morn/noon/night = x3 a day. Squeaky bum time was the order of the day. Then was put on x2-500 twice a day, still squeaky time. Now on x1 750 or is it 850 Slow Release taken in the evening and x2 Glics in the morning.

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for all your input!

Some amusing stories too, re: side effects that made me chuckle. :lol:

So far, no too bad for me, but have only been on 500mg once a day for 3 days so far.

Is nice to be in good company anyway!

jj2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i am now on 3x 500Mg a day one in the morning and 2 with the evening meal,I am also taking 2 peppermint oil capsules twice a day and i must say that these have really helped with the main side effect of metfartin'(sic).

rainbow_chicy

Hi I was diagnoised type 2 diabetic about 5 years ago was started on two 850 mg tablets one morning one night.Then gliclicide 80mg was introduced and folled by byetta injection which I now also take twice a day 10ml injection each time b4 brekkie and b4 tea .Does anyone ever get fed up taking meds ..? i KNOW ITS MUST!!! or wed all be worse. :roll: Byetta injections been good for me as so far been on it about a yr and lost over 3 1/2 stones in weight :p so not all doom and gloom pps..Are any of you on byetta?well have good weekend all .Im new here so think its great way supporting one another xxx Dotty

SarkySquid

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Sarcoidosis
Diagnosed Type 2 two years ago. Crept up to 2 x 500mg 3 times a day ie 3000mg + Gliclazide. Started victoza injections end of last year and dropped to 2 x 500mg Metformin twice a day. BG readings are improved and am losing weight. Prednisolone (Steroid which raises blood sugar) for my Sarcoidosis doesn't help though!

nabser

Was diagnosed just over two years ago i take 3 x 1000mg of metformin a day and also inject Byetta twice a day,