Can I use turmeric with my other medications.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I've heard of but not used Turmeric either in milk or as a tea. I'd like to give it a trial as I have now developed a CN3 palsy in one eye, which is likely to have been caused by microvascular damage. Does anyone know if Turmeric should not be used in conjunction with other diabetes meds or blood-thinning meds?

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have read that turmeric should not be used with blood thinners. I don't know about other meds.

C

catherinecherub

Interactions

Turmeric can have interactions with other drugs or supplements. Potential drug interactions exist with some anticoagulants and antiplatelets, camptothecin, celiprolol, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, mechlorethamine, midazolam and medications metabolized by CYP3A4 enzyme, as outlined by Sloan-Kettering. The NIH adds potential interactions with blood pressure and diabetes medications, anti-inflammatory drugs and cholesterol regulators. Interactions may occur with other supplements and herbs that affect these conditions as well. Consult your doctor before beginning any supplement regimen.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/121043-contraindications-turmeric/

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always find tumeric in warm milk helps to relieve coughs. Would emphasise the need to check if on other meds though.

pinefamily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use half a teaspoon of turmeric in my morning smoothie and have had no issues. I am insulin dependent.
Turmeric has a strong flavour so I add some cinnamon to hide the taste. Cinnamon has the added benefit of helping to regulate your blood sugars.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is on Warfarin and other heart meds so I'm not sure I usually check with my pharmacist