Drank full fat coke... what can I expect?

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So... I was accidently given and drank a pint of full fat coke. BG was 24mmol/l when I realised. Gave 5 units to bring me to 9mmol/l. Now back up to 18.1mmol/l. Just given another 3 units.

I'm hoping this is it done, but I'm a tad scared to go to sleep incase of a huge hypo.

Anyone had experiences with this? X

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no horrible when this happens if I am out I usually test my coke to make sure it is diet. You should be fine just correct & keep an eye on sugars if you carb count I would have done a bolus for the coke <3 hope you are feeling okay this morning xo

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hope your ok this morning @lizziewizzie ? Sounds like you did well, all you can do is test, inject and that's it I'm afraid. It's the one thing I always worry about when I go out as it's an easy mistake to make, I will only have a Diet Coke now if it's out of a can or bottle, never on draught, not worth the hassle ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this fairly recently @lizziewizzie. It was a pint. Owwwww. I kept testing an correcting but didn't feel right for a couple of days.

Next time when I wasn't sure I wanted to check - I keep meaning to get hold of some glucose strips for urine testing but haven't ever got round to it. They'd tell you like a shot! Tested some Diet Coke with my meter/pump handset a few months ago as it tasted very syrupy - it measured 0.6mmol/l - so I was quite safe with that.

Problem was, I had some explaining to do to my consultant about that mad result musing up my 'blood glucose' averages. 'Yeah, that wasn't blood, it was a Diet Coke test... Ahem..

:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So... I was accidently given and drank a pint of full fat coke. BG was 24mmol/l when I realised. Gave 5 units to bring me to 9mmol/l. Now back up to 18.1mmol/l. Just given another 3 units.

I'm hoping this is it done, but I'm a tad scared to go to sleep incase of a huge hypo.

Anyone had experiences with this? X

Hi,
I hope you were OK after last night's event?

I also notice your a Lantus/Novo rapid user like me!
Yeah, I've been caught out like this in the past.. The problem is "one" may have been nursing that pint of Coke for an hour? Sipping away at it.. So the correction doses given may have apeared to take no major effect..?
Have you consumed any alcohol at some point during the night out too?

I'll assume you just drank soft drinks.. Personally, I take the lantus before bed.

Now this is my experience! I'm fully hypo aware, but still wish to minimalize any nocturnal events..
I would have just done one "correction dose" of rapid, at half of what I would normally do to correct.
Then the Lantus per usual..

Test on waking as usual, then dealt with any outstanding "residual" high (if any?) in the morning..

I would of been a little concerned with the two wave rapid correction & (assuming you dose at bed time?) Lantus profile working overnight on what is essentially fast acting carbs in a pint of Coke?

I hope you rose well this morning?

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this fairly recently @lizziewizzie. It was a pint. Owwwww. I kept testing an correcting but didn't feel right for a couple of days.

Next time when I wasn't sure I wanted to check - I keep meaning to get hold of some glucose strips for urine testing but haven't ever got round to it. They'd tell you like a shot! Tested some Diet Coke with my meter/pump handset a few months ago as it tasted very syrupy - it measured 0.6mmol/l - so I was quite safe with that.

Problem was, I had some explaining to do to my consultant about that mad result musing up my 'blood glucose' averages. 'Yeah, that wasn't blood, it was a Diet Coke test... Ahem..

:)
You can use normal test strips as well =)

Reactions: Snapsy

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys. Thanks for your messages. After I gave the last 3units it brought me from 18 to 14. So I decided to leave it there and just have my bedtime Lantus of 15 and go to sleep.

I woke up at 6.2mmol/l this morning which is awesome although I felt like I had been drugged and found it hard to get up.

I would usually test my coke with my strips too but I was at a charity do and the seating was so close that I had like 15 people around me and felt too self conscious to do it. Which is silly I know but something I'm working on. X

Reactions: Type1Lad and Jaylee