pi**ed off

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hello all , I have just had my six monthly check and my bloods were 6.6 which I think wasnt too bad , however the nurse has now but me on Metformin 500mg four tablets a day.

Not happy as I really wanted to stay off tablets and now I feel I have totally and utterly failed even though its stayed the same and I've lost another stone since November.
Not sure what else I'm supposed to do as I'm also doing moderate low carbing as well.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You have the choice whether to take the tabs or not, Janie. If you think that you can continue losing weight without them and control your blood sugars then it would be your choice to do this.

On the plus side, you will now get your test strips and any other medication you are on for free because you are now prescribed a diabetic medication.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sorry you are dissapointed janie
However, that nurse isn't going to hold your nose and force the tablets down you.
Have a think
Are your numbers where YOU want them to be?
Can you make further adjustments to your diet and exercise?
Would taking 1 or 2 tablets make life easier? You don't have to take all 4. Actually starting out straight away on 4 is likely to give you tummy grumblies. Didn't the nurse suggest you start on 1 for a couple of weeks and up by 1 every fortnight?
You wll in the end have to weigh it up an decide.
Hana

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I was first put on Metformin at 6.0, I wasn't given any warnings about taking one tablet first week and then build up. I was put straight onto 3 tabs a day, despite GP knowing I suffered from IBS.
I can't say that I noticed any changes on my BG levels. My weight didn't really alter, only by a few pounds up or down. My BP was good. But my actual BG went up instead of down.
I am now having more success with a combination of metformin (3x500mg) and sitagliptin. My morning fasting levels have dropped from 7.8 to 5.7 in two weeks :mrgreen:
If you don't feel comfortable taking the tablets, don't take them. Are you taking any other medication that may be altering/affecting your BG.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hi I'm taking high blood pressure tablets and simvastatin.

I thought my levels were okay to be honest always below 7/7.5 two hours after meals around 5 - 6.2 first thing in the morning.
Plus I'm loosing weight again as well - lost 4 pounds prior to my 6 monthly check and have lost more weight this week.

Lowish carbing and excercising ever day walking the dog and doing salcacise twice a week - so not sure what else I need to do TBH.

Janieb

Dislikes
Bad headaches

Still got a headache and feeling pretty dreadful sparkly lights in my eyes and just feel sick - thought it was a bug but not sure so I'm going to go and speak to the nurse on Monday.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Since I stopped taking Simvastatin adn Januvia my headaches stopped, I am now on Victoza which works great for me, like you I have had sparkly lights feeling a bit weird at times.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Janie,

when you say your bloods were 6.6, is this your fasting BG or your
HBA1C?....

If its a one off fasting BG, it doesnt mean anything. If its HBA1C, then you are "not far off" and I PERSONALLY would definitely not accept Metformin until I had at least a 3 month (maybe 6) go with diet adjustment and increased exercise!.

All the best - Steve

Janieb

Dislikes
HI 6.6 was my HBA1C, apparently the one before that was the same six months ago hence the reason why she wanted to pub me on tablets.

C

catherinecherub

Hi janieb,
There are plus points to taking metformin. This article is worth a read as it shows that it protects the heart. Diabetes is one of the leading causes of heart disease.
Try tweaking your diet and see if the metformin plus diet changes bring it down to an acceptable level. Metformin can be discontinued if your levels become lower.

http://heartdiseasediabetes.suite101.co ... _the_heart

Janieb

Dislikes
Thanks Catherine, headaches really really bad again today and been sick yet again so I think I'm gonna miss the tablets today and see if I feel better then see the doc on Monday.

C

catherinecherub

Hi janieb,
Some people are allergic to Metformin. Perhaps you are? Glad you are going to see G.P.

Pinnig

Hi Janieb

I also had blinding headaches on metformin. Soon as I stopped it they went away. Best see your GP and discuss alternatives. The SR version didn't give ne a headache. Unforunately both versions brought me out in a rash so I can't take it at all.

Janieb

Dislikes
Typical cant get an appointment to see the Diabetics nurse till Thursday - oh well - hopefully it wont matter me not having taken the Metformin as stopped it Saturday and starting to feel a bit better already.