Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
That's interesting about insulin resistance developing before weight gain. I thought it developed as a consequence (or hand in hand) with fat build up (all over the body). Do you have a reference for more info about this? I would like to learn more about insulin resistance and what the causes and contributing factors are. Bx

This interview is fundamental to explaining the relationship between insulin resistance, T2 and the accompanying heart disease. - but not in that order.

It is a long video, but worth every second.

Reactions: chalup and lizdeluz

Hamus51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I watched the program last night and I was in bits. My youngest sister had her foot amputated due to undiagnosed diabetes and gangrene, but sadly died 2 weeks later at the age of 43. That was 2 years ago. I really hope the program shocked people with type 2 diabetes into taking action to change their eating and exercise rather than waiting for the NHS to do the work for them. I have just started on the low carb program and hope to shed the weight now that I have just retired. Love all the positive comments on this forum.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.So what is so hard about having to diet to treat the diabetis the trouble with these diabetics is when they are first told to diet etc they think the consultant is talking **** and knows nothing and that they know better well time will tell who knows best, so just carry on eating all your childrens chocolate bars and gorging the food down your throat but at the end of the day it will destroy and kill you in a horrible way ........
high.jpg

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I am concerned, I totally agree that type 2 diabetes is a hidden killer. Not type 1. I never talk about type 1 diabetes because It is a very different disease.

Regarding diet, although I have been having HCLF since my diagnosis 25 years and 2 months ago and having excellent success with it, I will never never dare to contradict what other type 2s eat. I very well know that we diabetics are very different from each other.

I think that HCLF diet works well for me because I eat only twice a day, and I run the stairs 4x/day, a total time of 1 hour. Most of my past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%, the last 2 being 5.8%. I have never had hypo problems and diabetes complications. My first blood sugar reading which was the basis of my diagnosis was 468 mg/dl. I have never taken any anti-diabetes pills and insulin. My diabetes control method has always HCLF meals and 1 hour daily stair-running.

The food I eat must be as much as possible heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole.
Strictly no soft and hard drinks and no snacks. Only water between meals.

Bonny Damocles
Male 80 1/2 years old, 138 lbs, 5'7"
I am not on any pharma drugs for any health problem
As of October 3, 2016: A1c - 5.8%; total cholesterol - 179, HDL - 61; BP - 137/81; Heart Beat 65.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont lose weight low carbing either. What if I have surgery and I dont lose weight? Will cost nhs even nore money as I will sue for bad advice.
Horror stories with bariatric surgery causing malnutrition and other types of diabetes. Misleading account. I feel.
What does a low carb day look like to you?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.So what is so hard about having to diet to treat the diabetis the trouble with these diabetics is when they are first told to diet etc they think the consultant is talking **** and knows nothing and that they know better well time will tell who knows best, so just carry on eating all your childrens chocolate bars and gorging the food down your throat but at the end of the day it will destroy and kill you in a horrible way ........View attachment 20595
Have you thought about applying for work in diplomacy?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What does a low carb day look like to you?
Even on 30g carb per day. I have other health problems which interfers with weight loss. Thyroid and pcos. Just restarted metformin and reduced thyroxine to experience a problem again so readded it on advice from gp. I felt suicidal with depression. Underactive thyroid treatment is worthwhile, for me anyway. Why risk death to prove a point or make my new diet look more effective than it is?

Reactions: Freema

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Even on 30g carb per day. I have other health problems which interfers with weight loss. Thyroid and pcos. Just restarted metformin and reduced thyroxine to experience a problem again so readded it on advice from gp. I felt suicidal with depression. Underactive thyroid treatment is worthwhile, for me anyway. Why risk death to prove a point or make my new diet look more effective than it is?
If it works for you .. don't fix whats not broken :)

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
As far as I am concerned, I totally agree that type 2 diabetes is a hidden killer. Not type 1. I never talk about type 1 diabetes because It is a very different disease.

Regarding diet, although I have been having HCLF since my diagnosis 25 years and 2 months ago and having excellent success with it, I will never never dare to contradict what other type 2s eat. I very well know that we diabetics are very different from each other.

I think that HCLF diet works well for me because I eat only twice a day, and I run the stairs 4x/day, a total time of 1 hour. Most of my past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%, the last 2 being 5.8%. I have never had hypo problems and diabetes complications. My first blood sugar reading which was the basis of my diagnosis was 468 mg/dl. I have never taken any anti-diabetes pills and insulin. My diabetes control method has always HCLF meals and 1 hour daily stair-running.

The food I eat must be as much as possible heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole.
Strictly no soft and hard drinks and no snacks. Only water between meals.

Bonny Damocles
Male 80 1/2 years old, 138 lbs, 5'7"
I am not on any pharma drugs for any health problem
As of October 3, 2016: A1c - 5.8%; total cholesterol - 179, HDL - 61; BP - 137/81; Heart Beat 65.
I was you a decade ago but high carb gives me high bgs now. Insulin resistance is my biggest enemy not controlling high bgs. Low carb controls my bgs with metformin and insulin. Insulin resistance is my Achilles heal. Maybe Leptin resistance too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.So what is so hard about having to diet to treat the diabetis the trouble with these diabetics is when they are first told to diet etc they think the consultant is talking **** and knows nothing and that they know better well time will tell who knows best, so just carry on eating all your childrens chocolate bars and gorging the food down your throat but at the end of the day it will destroy and kill you in a horrible way ........View attachment 20595

That is very judgemental.
You clearly have no understanding of carb addiction or the havoc that severe insulin resistance plays on type 2s.

There are big differences between the issues, pitfalls and management of the different types of diabetes which you clearly do not grasp.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get that - it's incredibly hard when there are multiple health issues- I wish you all the best.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I
I see the programme educated you well, not! I wonder how many more people took away the same education from this tv ****? Look past bad editing and make your own mind up for goodness sake! :mad:

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
The Newcastle Diet seems to be very effective for recently diagnosed type IIs, not so much for old codgers like me. The interesting thing about bariatric surgery is that the bypass seems to reverse type II whereas the gastric band is not so successful. The band also has issues with it having to be re-tightened at some point and long term not always being 100% successful.
I read about that. They note the surgical removal of part of the gut seems to cure diabetes. Which would seem to say that diabetes is as much a result of some biotic or cellular defect in the gut as in the pancreas.
Whole new line of thought.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is a programme on BBC1 on Monday 3rd. October about Type2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yklv8

Diabetes: The Hidden Killer
Panorama
Britain is in the grip of a health epidemic that's threatening to overwhelm the NHS. More and more of us are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a hidden killer which can lead to heart failure,blindness, kidney disease and leg amputations. Now even children are being diagnosed with the condition. Filming over six months, Panorama reports from the frontline of the epidemic - in Birmingham, where almost one in ten people has the disease.
I am sick and tired of type 2 diabetes being vilified by the press as the fat and lazy disease ! Nothing is farther from the truth in my case but I have a strong genetic history of type 2 and a very stressful job ! Stress pre empted the emergence of it in both myself and my brother ! I wanted to post this generally but could not see how to do so on the website .

Dappylady

"The trigger bad diet and lack of exercise" I'm already Very annoyed, I had the perfect diet according to the nhs and ran 5k three times a week, normal Bmi, and was diagnosed prediabetic what a load of bull. Categorising all diabetics as eating rubbish and being lazy basically.

Yes that annoyed me to & that was said in the first 5 minutes of the programme.When I was diagnosed, I was slightly overweight, but not that much.I also did lots of walking & had a job where I was on the go all the time. My diet was pretty reasonable to.As usual tv & media are casting judgement, without knowing the true facts.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I read about that.They note the surgical removal of part of the gut seems to cure diabetes. Which would seem to say that diabetes is as much a result of some biotic or cellular defect in the gut as in the pancreas.
Whole new line of thought.
That would explain my ruptured appendix as a teenager. Inflammation in the gut and appendix. Now scar tissue but looked like a cure by appendectomy success.

srm100841

There is a programme on BBC1 on Monday 3rd. October about Type2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yklv8

Diabetes: The Hidden Killer
Panorama
Britain is in the grip of a health epidemic that's threatening to overwhelm the NHS. More and more of us are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a hidden killer which can lead to heart failure,blindness, kidney disease and leg amputations. Now even children are being diagnosed with the condition. Filming over six months, Panorama reports from the frontline of the epidemic - in Birmingham, where almost one in ten people has the disease.
Until the establishment recognise that carbohydrates are the problem then the issue will never be resolved.

I watched as the chief health officer for Gwent gave what I thought was dangerous advice to people and compared his idealogy to dinosaurs!!! When, when When?

RCot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also caught up this week with http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xwstx on BBC iPlayer. It's presented by Jamie Owen, BBC One Wales. Very interesting attitude from the doctors. It seemed to me that everyone - apart from the one pro LCHF Doctor in Wales (that's what they said!) - appeared ignorant of recent LCHF developments and, in particular, the research being carried out by Professor Taylor in Newcastle. Interesting time.

jazzyj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel a lot better after reading the posts here - I was really depressed after watching this programme. I have had a lot of trouble controlling my blood sugars for a few years now. I went on to insulin in May but does not seem to be making a great deal of difference. After watching I felt like it was just a downward spiral and that I would end up with complications and early death. I am very interested in the LCHF diet and you have all given my inspiration to change my diet, which although relatively healthy has been too high in carbs. I imagine the diet is not easy especially as I love carbs but I am going to do it. You have given me hope - Thanks all

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I watched the programme and surely trying the lchf diet would be preferable to stomach reduction surgery? I am type 2 and only found out about lchf on this forum.. For me it is a godsend - my bg is stable, my appetite is stable with no cravings, my diet is healthy, I am losing weight, more energy and just feel so much better. I feel strongly that from a young age, people, everyone should be encouraged to have a regular (yearly?) blood test to identify those who may be pre-diabetic in time to get them to take action to ensure they do not go on to develop diabetes.