Metformin!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dave.
No. you are not the only one. We have had several T1 members who also are on Metformin for one reason or another. Maybe one of them might turn up now I have 'bumped' your thread ?

Why were you put on it ?

Ken

Jelly71

Hi,

I am a type one (have been for 25 years) and currently on metformin. I only started taking it in November last year and so far so good. I was struggling with my weight and with a calorie controlled, lower carb diet I have lost 10 lbs since taking it. Beforehand I was dieting and exercising and my weight always remained the same. My blood glucose readings are lower and I am now taking less insulin. It can make you feel a bit sick and nauseous but increasing the dose slowly helps. I realise that it does not suit everyone though, so I am lucky that it suits me and I feel better on it.

PlymouthDave

Many thanks Cugila and Jelly71, it's nice to know I am not the only one!

I have been a Type 1 for just over 3 years and was a late starter (47 at the time). After I was discharged from hospital, I saw my consultant who put me on a regime of medication to prevent any heart related condition despite me never having a history of any such illness ( I had only retired from the Royal Navy 3 months prior to being diagnosed with DKA). This included Metformin (2 x 500mg daily) which he said would help my body absorb the insulin. Is this right?

I knew very little about diabetes then and I accepted everything the consultant told me. It is only when you live with it for a while and get talking to others that you begin to question things and the information available for metformin states that it is for the treatment of Type 2.

I will discuss my medication at my next Diabetes appointment but it is a comfort to know I am not alone.

PlymouthDave

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was also on metformin for a couple of years to help with insulin resistance when i was overweight, so no ...u arent alone :D

suzyl100

Dislikes
Hate having diabetes but hey ho what can you do about. Even winning the lottery would not get rid of it
I am on metformin - 500mg twice a day. I was put on it after attending a DAFNE course. My ratio's were high so it was suggested I give it a go. It has now been 2 years and yes my insulin has dropped but i have not lost much weight. Not sure whether it is a good thing or not. At the moment since I have stopped going for regular check ups at the hospital I have seen a diabetes nurse once a year but last year in july they told me i needed 6 monthly check ups. It is now March and I have not seen anyone. At the moment I think diabetes care is abysmal. I have been diabetic for 40 years in August and am not suffering from some "complications" but my local surgery know nothing about diabetes. Through past experience I know more.
Anyway may I need my metformin upping but nobody has checked up on it. I have also an underactive thyroid, take atorvastation ( just in case) and have now been told to retake aspirin to help my eyesight (nothing really wrong with it). I have also just started to take gabapention for nerve pain but I only take 1 x 300mg a day as that makes my irritable and gain weight. I also take quinine sulphate for night cramps.
If I wasn't laughing I would be crying. :lol:

Panda

You are not alone. I have had diabetes for forty two years and three years ago was put on Metformin.
My daughter also has Type 1 Diabetes and is also on Metformin. Not sure why though? :)

PlymouthDave

Many thanks for your replies, It's nice to know I am not alone although I think we are in quite an exclusive club!
I am still not sure of the reason I was put on Metformin, but will bring this up at the end of the month at my Diabetes appointment and I will keep you all posted with the answer.
Watch this space and keep taking the tablets!! :D

Hi Dave,

I am also type 1 and on metformin. As far as i recall the metformin were prescribed to curb my appetite as my weight was slowly creeping up after being diagnosed a couple of year ago.

PlymouthDave

I know what you mean, I always lose weight when there is a diet regime in the house....no snacks or crisps! I know it's good for me but it really sucks!!

Dave

flozac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also take metformin to help with insulin resistance. It breaks the vicious circle of resistance and weight gain. I have been taking it for about 9 months now and my insulin requirements have halved and i have lost almost a stone in weight.

PlymouthDave

That's brilliant. I feel a lot better knowing I am not the only one on it and it sounds as if it is working well for you. I have not lost any weight but perhaps it has prevented me putting more on!

PlymouthDave

Many thanks for the link Catherine, I didn't even know these existed. The conclusions appear to indicate that the Metformin has little effect on Type 1s after a year and I have now been on this for over three years. Something to discuss at my next appointment I think!