Desmond Course

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been recently diagnosed with Type 2, and my GP has sent me on this course. I go for the first session tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect - has anyone here been on the Desmond course? Is it any use? Thanks.

Reactions: Freema

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nope. I have had no info from my doctor at all. I have been ill for months, and was tested for all sorts. I rang my doctor for the results of my most recent blood tests and she told me over the phone that I had Type 2, and that she was going to send me to see a dietitian. About 6/7 weeks later I received a letter from my local heath centre with an appointment for the course.

Reactions: Freema

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attended a DESMOND a month or so ago. I found it quite useful. They talk about Type 2 in general. Things you need to know, things you should be doing. A lot of the information I had learnt from this forum. They also spoke about food. They didnt overly promote LCHF diet, but didnt say not to do it either. Also, for me, it seemed if I didnt attend, then I would be taken off the care from the diabetic clinic. I found people on this forum have mixed feelings but just do it, take what you can from it. Oh, and bring lunch with you :)

Reactions: Elizabeth__m

Elizabeth__m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I actually did get quite a lot from the course, although I didn't need lunch as it has been split over two days and finished at 12.30 :) So I get to do it all over again this week ....

Reactions: Freema and Funkky_

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in mid July this year...BG at diagnosis17.4...just had HbA1c test...given the results in new IFFC system...believe after converting it (not sure if I have done it correctly) my BG is now approximately 8.4...Booked on a DESMOND course for mid November...diagnosed shortly after I had a massive infection (cellulitis)...DVT...High Blood Pressure...Diabetes...followed by a scare...which necessitated an Endometrial Biopsy...attending clinics...hospital so no chance to attend the course earlier...use another forum...learned so much about managing my diabetes...don't particularly want to go on the course...feel it's a bit late for me...five months down the line...not sure how much I will get from it.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 in July & have my DESMOND course on Monday (whole day - will take lunch!). I also don't know what to expect either but hoping it will be helpful.