• Start Date

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about giving him a hug, he needs a kick up the backside. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with type 2, I immediately cut out all sugar, white bread and cut down completely on all other carbohydrates. I have lost approximately 12kg and gone from a 40 inch waist to a 36 inch waist. If I can do this at 61 years old then surely the man on Panorama with a young family can do that for himself. I feel strongly that anyone who doesn't make an effort for themselves should not get full NHS support for their treatments.

The majority of T2s in this country are told to go and eat carbs, the tablets will take care of 'it', and not to test their own blood glucose.

You don't have a young family, and probably don't work the hours and in the conditions he does.
You are also newly diagnosed, and have NO IDEA what challenges will arrive over the next few years.

I am pleased you have done so well with your T2 management, but others struggle with dietary changes, stress, brain fog, carb cravings, depression and medical advice that does more harm than good.

As your post shows, a diagnosis of T2 doesn't come with an automatic dose of compassion for others in worse circumstances.
Mores the pity.

S

serenity648

I don't know about giving him a hug, he needs a kick up the backside. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with type 2, I immediately cut out all sugar, white bread and cut down completely on all other carbohydrates. I have lost approximately 12kg and gone from a 40 inch waist to a 36 inch waist. If I can do this at 61 years old then surely the man on Panorama with a young family can do that for himself. I feel strongly that anyone who doesn't make an effort for themselves should not get full NHS support for their treatments.

did you read the rest of her post? it was clear that the hug is for all this man has suffered by incorrect and dangerous NHS advice, and a lack of mental health support as well as dietary support.

the NEXT sentence is about helping him in a way that works.

Lets have some compassion. Do we talk of our ancestors who died through medical practices that killed them as deserving it and being weak willed for not doing the things THEY DIDNT KNOW would help them?

Dont think so.

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was horrified by the program and still feel scared. Thinking things through it did show why so much money was being spent on Type 2 diabetics. The surgery for both weight loss and amputations must be very expensive and also the after care needed. It was a shame that no positive actions were suggested. For weight loss both the low carb and the Newcastle study could hold some hope,.I do have a foot problem, hence why I was horrified, but I'm left feeling that nothing can be done for foot problems until an amputation is needed. Mine is very minor in comparison, just a weird feeling every time I put weight on it, I'm told I have good feeling and good blood supply so not to worry. I just wonder if research could be done into foot problems. I was told there is nothing that I can do to help my foot, I do have supposedly good control over my blood sugars. I'm left with feeling no-one will take any notice until it's too late.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread seems to have brought out the worst in some of the members? Time to close the thread or moderate better?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was horrified by the program and still feel scared. Thinking things through it did show why so much money was being spent on Type 2 diabetics. The surgery for both weight loss and amputations must be very expensive and also the after care needed. It was a shame that no positive actions were suggested. For weight loss both the low carb and the Newcastle study could hold some hope,.I do have a foot problem, hence why I was horrified, but I'm left feeling that nothing can be done for foot problems until an amputation is needed. Mine is very minor in comparison, just a weird feeling every time I put weight on it, I'm told I have good feeling and good blood supply so not to worry. I just wonder if research could be done into foot problems. I was told there is nothing that I can do to help my foot, I do have supposedly good control over my blood sugars. I'm left with feeling no-one will take any notice until it's too late.

I suspect that by maintaining an HbA1c in the 30s (from your sig) you are already doing excellently in preventing the progression of any complications. Well done.

If you want to go further, have a forum search for alpha-lipoic acid. It is a supplement, and some forumites (and a lot of people in Germany, under medical advice) are using it in the hope of repairing damage.

Hope that helps!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The simple fact is that those of us who have discovered the effectiveness of carbs reduction and persisted in the face of main stream medical objections and thinly veiled dissuasions (it is inherently dangerous and unproven...eg https://blog.glycoleap.com/low-carbohydrate-diets/) are the fortunate and privilege ones. :D

Millions more out there needs to be given a chance to experience the liberation from the vicious cycles of excessive carbs.

Reactions: Prem51

Sally49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rap music and tomato ketchup
I watched the programme and frankly found it scare-mongering and with large holes in the reporting. Type 1 wasn't mentioned and Type 2 diagnosed got the normal vilification treatment. There was no mention of polycystic ovary syndrome being a cause, and bariatric surgery was mooted as the cure-all. Of course obesity and lifestyle is a factor but where was the coverage of those of us who are Type 2 insulin dependent, but can still fit into a size 12?
And a shout out to my colleagues on here who talk about the lack of low carb diet discussion. I think we all know that's the way forward. Pity that nice guy in the documentary who kept eating pasta - did no-one on his care team think to mention pasta may not be the best????

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.View attachment 20595

Yeah, but they are being told to take the wrong drug and then blamed for not getting better.

The point is as Type 1's we get the support and a lot of tools to deal with this.

Loads of Type 2's are told to 'eat normally' (what does that mean?) and take metformin and not to test their blood sugars. That is a pretty efficient way of sending people to the queue for foot amputations. Metformin does not aggressively lower blood sugar and probably gets adapted for by the body after a year or two so becomes less and less effective. It is worthless if you are eating a carb heavy diet and are Type 2.

Type 2's like Type 1's need to be given the resources and information to eat to their meters to makes sure their bloods aren't going through the roof from eating all that 'heart healthy' porridge, fruit and other **** the NHS is fond of.

I know of a Type 2 pensioner who has mental health issues and only eats white bread. No one has ever said to him; don't do that. They like that he doesn't eat much fat. It's fxx%8!$% insane!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pity that nice guy in the documentary who kept eating pasta - did no-one on his care team think to mention pasta may not be the best????
The Diabetics UK Guide to Type 2 diabetes actually includes pasta within their page on top tips for eating well. As well as a lunch suggestion earlier on of baked beans and a jacket potato.

The manufacturers of Weetabix consider a serving to be 2 biscuits (26g of carbs). We don't know what his pasta size serving was. It isn't impossible that he was at some stage even recommended these foods without maybe being given clear guidance as to the quantity. One Weetabix for breakfast wouldn't be that bad for example.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probable that the program makers decided to concentrate on one aspect of Type 2, that for a lot of people that have Type 2 the future as of today is not good. They gave real examples and the costs involved. How can it be scare-mongering to cover the reality of an increasing number of unfortunate people. The program did not venture into reasons of why this is happening or even alternative strategies. They were making one point with bells on.

When I was diagnosed I think my DN was slightly taken a back as I didn't respond in any way, water off a ducks back because I really knew nothing.

I feel fortunate in some ways that I was "caught" early. I think that evening I came across this forum and changed my diet on the spot and have controlled my BG to some extent, not as much as I would like but getting there.

I really feel for those people who have no idea what to do except take the pills...

and as one the mods posted "it's time to get out the bubble and argue for change".

I'm seeing my DN for my bloods and ann review tomorrow.... I'm sure we're going to have a lively chat.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a little update on this topic. I've been discussing the approach taken to Type 2 with the Assistant National Clinical Director for Diabetes (if I'm brutally honest, as much as I stand up for my T1 brethren, T2 is causing much bigger issues). His feedback was "Watch this space". The ongoing debate about low carb is having an impact and taking the conversation in the right direction.

As I mentioned earlier in the topic, complaining to the BBC, if done in large enough volume with a common theme (anyone want to write a standard complaint letter that highlights that there is an alternative approach to Type 2 for everyone to send to the BBC so they feel the mass response?) is only one piece. You need to be raising this with your clinicians and with other T2s in your area. It will be tough, but the more contact you make, the better and more compelling the feedback becomes.

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I watched this and found it A) really hard to watch and B) very depressing. As someone diagnosed around 18 months ago and who followed NHS advice for 9 months and just could not get blood glucose levels down to where they needed to be and then got even more tablets to take and told over and over to go to Weight Watchers or Slimming World and lose a lot of weight as quickly as possible - I then finally took what I had read on this web site and started to try reducing my carbs each day - at first it was just a little but it did improve my blood glucose readings - gradually I got to reducing my carbs as low as I can tolerate and I have continue to A) lose weight slowly and B) Blood Glucose level Hba1C down to 6.0
What I do not know is whether this is good enough to reduce my risk levels or not and the receptionist at the doctors said the doctor does not wish to see me!!!
I know if I tell my doctor what diet I am following he will say I need to eat carbs with every meal - something I know I cannot tolerate - so I just say I am being careful about what I eat - that way I avoid saying and I avoid his negativity towards what I am doing.
I do not find it easy and I still stumble along the way and have more carbs than my body can cope with but as this is for life I just consider it a stumble and the next day is a new day and try for that to be a good day - it seems to work for me.
The hardest thing I found to take on board is that as Type 2 we are all individual and what is OK for one is not OK for all - it took a long time for me to work out the OK for me.

Nice to know other people watched this programme and felt the same as I did - after the programme I really wanted to do what I can to avoid the complications............

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I watched the programme and frankly found it scare-mongering and with large holes in the reporting. Type 1 wasn't mentioned and Type 2 diagnosed got the normal vilification treatment. There was no mention of polycystic ovary syndrome being a cause, and bariatric surgery was mooted as the cure-all. Of course obesity and lifestyle is a factor but where was the coverage of those of us who are Type 2 insulin dependent, but can still fit into a size 12?
And a shout out to my colleagues on here who talk about the lack of low carb diet discussion. I think we all know that's the way forward. Pity that nice guy in the documentary who kept eating pasta - did no-one on his care team think to mention pasta may not be the best????

Hi Sally, Type 1 was mentioned, it was said we are born with it !

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This thread seems to have brought out the worst in some of the members? Time to close the thread or moderate better?

I don't agree it should be closed, but moderated, yes. One post in particular was incredibly crass and insensitive.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How sad that the NHS is still promoting porrige for breakfast and an apple for lunch (as in the video clip above) while waiting for wieght loss surgery for a diabetic. This chap has to prove he can virtually starve himself in order to have the surgery. Oh why can't NHS come to see that LCHF would be a much more likely way for being able to stick to a weight loss diet and not then needing the surgery.

The chap in the video claims he's tried everything but what's the betting he hasn't tried LCHF.

I've never been able to diet by counting calories, low fat but I've done amazingly well on LCHF, without counting anything, and feeling so much better on this.

I do hope the NHS will wake up to this before too long and get it across to people who need it. (I appreciate it doesn't work for everyone though)
Yes, well said. Was told recently by a dietician I could eat porridge. I corrected her.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness me.

I just want to go up to that man, hug him, hand him a meter and tell him to eat low carb.
- 4 weetabix 'topped up' with frosties for breakfast!?!?!
- a large bowl of pasta salad for lunch, with 2 ferrero rocher?!!?!
- choc snacks all afternoon?1!!
- porridge and an apple??!?!?!

He is just following the carb mantra, isn't he?
Good grief. Absolutely stupid. Haven't seen it yet. Will catch up on iplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget the stealing of the children's chocolate from the fridge so he had to go out and buy replacements. I feel ashamed to have the same diagnosis as him.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that by maintaining an HbA1c in the 30s (from your sig) you are already doing excellently in preventing the progression of any complications. Well done.

If you want to go further, have a forum search for alpha-lipoic acid. It is a supplement, and some forumites (and a lot of people in Germany, under medical advice) are using it in the hope of repairing damage.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @Brunneria Sorry was just feeling sorry for myself, as if all my hard work, and it is still hard work, could end up like those on the program. I have looked at loads of posts promoting loads of supplements but still not sure.

Seeker2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw the top dietitan at my local hospital after diagnosis. She told me to eat more pasta, starches, potatoes , oh and also have desserts , just to use more insulin to cover it. Then told me to download carbs and cals app as a guide. I was diagnosed as t1/1.5, now they arenot sure. IDD though.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lets remember the program is about ratings, and the stilted reporting has certainly generated a lot of debate here - is that a plus?- also many new members posting on this thread first!

Did anyone else see the irony of this program? To watch it most of us sat still, just like the lazy, overfed, under exercised folk it claimed we were right at the start !!!