can I be prescribed sildenafil by my doctor, on the NHS if I'm type two ?

davidn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I be prescribed sildenafil by my doctor, on the NHS if I'm type two ?
Before I was diagnosed I did pluck up the courage to ask, but got a flat, no

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'm fairly sure you can be, but I think, to get free prescriptions for anything as a T2 (under the age of 60), you need to be on some sort of T2 medication, eg Metformin. Diet and exercise doesn't count.
Someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong!
Sally

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I understand it @davidn diabetes (all types) is one of the conditions that allows you to get an NHS prescription for that.

I suggest going back to your doctor, explaining the issues, and asking again. Controlling your blood sugar could help too, depending on what the exact issue is.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can be med free and still get it for nothing as you should have applied for your medical exemption card.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you can. which is good as it's very expensive. I get Taladafil on repeat prescription... and yea it's free. Also, getting BG down has a very beneficial effect.

I was open with my GP and it was no issue at all.

Reactions: azure

Nutter5967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on metformin 2 x 500mg daily along with statin's I applied for and got medical exemption, no problem, since I have been prescribed silnafil, then moved on to taladafil, get them free with the exemption

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I only got free prescriptions once I was on Metformin, diet and exercise no. I'm now over 60 so get it free now anyway.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please bear in mind the OP is NOT asking about prescription exemptions. They are asking about the specific rules for prescribing this particular medication.