• Start Date

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anybody else notice the lady who was 56, accepting the fact she was going to have an amputation, and on the bedside table chocolates, is it me or are these people just looking for trouble, I am being very proactive about my diabetes, and don't want to be associated with people who basically are killing themselves.

Yes, but what if some idiot friend or family member brought them in for her, and she hadn't yet been able to ditch them, cos of, you know, being ill and immobile?

I can't tell you how many times i've been given inappropriate gifts. Actually, I can, every bloomin' birthday and xmas for the last 30 years. Even from people who should know better.

Plus I think that film crew were probably doing a little 'entrapment' for dramatic effect, don't you?

Now, of course she may have brought them in herself. But we don't know, do we?

Reactions: Struma

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This interview is fundamental to explaining the relationship between insulin resistance, T2 and the accompanying heart disease. - but not in that order.

It is a long video, but worth every second.

That was brilliant @Brunneria, thank you :)

Reactions: Brunneria
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I haven't caught the Panorama programme yet. Doesn't sound like it would be good for my bg and bp so will give it a miss.

Reactions: Syd

Katie43M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. I watched the Hidden Killer and agree it was shocking BUT with a person in Britain being diagnosed every 2 minutes with type 2 diabetes and 500 children already with it when 16 years ago there were none, I feel the hard hitting approach was fair. I appreciate how hard it is to change your diet and exercise but we do have to take some responsibility for ourselves don't we? I feel I can say this because as an active 73 year old I was diagnosed with type 2 in Feb 2016. Without much help from the doctor I researched online and the diabetes association, put myself on a LCHF diet immediately and started walking my dog further trying to achieve 10000 paces most days. In 3 months I lost 3 stone, in 6 months I had got myself back into normal range. Yes it was tough, yes I got depressed and fed up and yes I really feel for people who struggle but seeing what can happen if you neglect yourself made me even more determined to stay on my diet for the rest of my days! I think this is exactly the response the programme was aiming for. Katie43M

hornplayer

Hard hitting is one thing, but no one is going to differentiate between people who have achieved control and those who haven't. We are all tarred with the same brush. Bashing someone who is struggling with T2, shaming them and labelling them, is totally unproductive. But then, why should anything like that from the media be a surprise to any of us? With racism and sexism so heavily frowned upon, what is left for the bigot about town but body shaming and fat bashing?? I am so sick of seeing people's abusive, hypocritical, holier than thou attitudes to others who need our help and support, not criticism which may turn them down an even more dangerous path. The total lack of an effective, cohesive approach from the NHS is doing more harm than good, but still, in the media, and in public opinion, it's all our own fault and we are draining resources that could be better spent on the results of drinking, smoking and dangerous sports. By routinely removing access to meters and strips, they have taken away one of the best tools a T2 has that could help acquire understanding and a level of control. Some of us are able to buy our own, but some are so beaten down by those around them that they are left feeling worthless and useless and unable to make any sort of choices that could help themselves. Bashing them in a Panorama feature is just adding insult to incompetence.

..... Just in my opinion, of course.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..... Just in my opinion, of course.

No. Not just your opinion. I totally agree.

Fat bashing is one of the few socially acceptable bigotries left - but what really bakes my noodle is when fellow diabetics do it, because they should know better - especially if they have even a basic understanding of carbs, blood glucose and insulin resistance. It is contemptible.

hornplayer

No. Not just your opinion. I totally agree.

Fat bashing is one of the few socially acceptable bigotries left - but what really bakes my noodle is when fellow diabetics do it, because they should know better - especially if they have even a basic understanding of carbs, blood glucose and insulin resistance. It is contemptible.

I totally and completely agree.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Panorama is watched by less than 2 million people per week.

Not sure what everyone is getting so excited about.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Banish the Beige
I didn't want to start a fresh thread for this, but any Mods who disagree - feel free to move this.

For anyone who wants to find the Jamie Owens programme, Fat v Carbs, that was shown on Tuesday on BBC Wales here is the way ; Catchup TV > BBC iPlayer > Popular > Fat v Carbs (3/10 8.30pm BBC Wales.)

Although there was an attempt to "balance" the claims for LCHF, by interviewing staunch NHS-brainwashed types, they didn't have much conviction and were reliant on the "everybody knows fat makes you fat" line. It was nice to see glimpses of the National Obesity Forum statement from earlier this year and to see real results from (*SPOILER ALERT*)
the presenter and a guest. Three weeks was honestly not long enough to to burn off his visceral fat and we didn't see that much exercising but the results were encouraging and the doctor's face at the end was a picture.

Reactions: RCot and Prem51

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Should have said that was the method to find the programme on a Sky box. On a PC or phone, just open iplayer and search Fat v Carbs.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

Should have said that was the method to find the programme on a Sky box. On a PC or phone, just open iplayer and search Fat v Carbs.
For the people who do not live in the UK and are geoblocked from iPlayer, here is the programme on You Tube.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be me....
I'm really struggling with the idea that everything has be balanced and if it is not, then it is biased..... the BBC. I don't care if the program makers decided to say how it is for a large number of T2 and not mention that some, like me, appear to be proactive and managing it. There are a lot of people, who, for what ever reason, are in a bad way from their T2 and yes, they could do something about, if they were given the right tools.... but they are not. A lot of them probably don't have smart phones / internet connections. Is there a system in place to help... it doesn't appear to be so.... so they will carry on as they've always done.

To say you don't want to be associated with the likes of them.... I'm sorry but I find that upsetting.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I phoned the help line - Diabetes uk :(

No positive suggestions regarding controlling BG.

Over 8 years all my family & friends have learned of the benefits of LCHF. To my knowledge NO-ONE else has adopted it, though they have seen the transformation of my health.

One response was - "you've got to die of something - I enjoy my food." He's nearly blind in his 50s.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't caught the Panorama programme yet. Doesn't sound like it would be good for my bg and bp so will give it a miss.

It wasn't good for either of mine! If this is what I can expect in my city in the way of "care" I am making sure I do absolutely everything I can myself. Still, as I consoled myself I am definitely no longer one of the 1 in 4 who are obese/overweight, I'm just sorry it took a T2 diagnosis to get to that and the realisation that I really can't eat just what's put in front of me. Something I knew, but couldn't get other people to take seriously. (And, no, I'm not going to explain that any further, you'll just have to trust me it was complicated....)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Really good program IMHO , but where did they get their info on Type 1's i.e. 'they were born with it'. I certainly wasn't :-0

hornplayer

Really good program IMHO , but where did they get their info on Type 1's i.e. 'they were born with it'. I certainly wasn't :-0

They probably got their information on T1 the same place as they got their information on T2, it's causes and how to best control it. - oh yes, and their compassion came in the same box....along with the paper hat and the little plastic toy.

S

serenity648

Panorama are now in trouble for a highly dubious 'documentary' on Downs Syndrome. A lot of parents and people with downs syndrome are tweeting about its inaccuracy.