CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hiya,

I've recently had a couple of hypos and find that they tend to wipe me out for the rest of the day. Despite the hypo being treated quickly, I end up feeling lethargic all day and struggle to do normal tasks.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

natts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi carlyb I'm the same type 1 diabetic 19 yrs now..I do be drained especially if I have a few In the same day

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I hear these accounts of "wipe out" all the time with hypos from other Ds..

My personal experience with them is I have no issue keeping going..

However, it does feel like I've been "partying all night" if I had to wake & treat a nocturnal low?
Most the following morning I do feel a little "shot away".?!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i agree with all the above. A hypo wipes me out too, and I get the automatic sensation that I have to rest for a good while. During the wipe-out, I feel very cold and a bit spaced-out ... but happy, like I've had a lucky escape - it's a pleasant feeling, probably because it's very true!!! :banghead::(:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no choice but to keep going. For some reason, no matter how **** I feel, these little people who call me "mum" keep expecting to be fed and have their clothes washed. I think they're very cheeky!!

Lol, it's a **** liberty.!

But I wager you carry the "recovery" off with aplomb.. :cool:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya yes I get this too, sometimes I have even fallen asleep for a few hours afterwards ! Recently have been recovering better, don't have much choice have mouths to feed and jobs to do, but still get the odd knockout every now and again :hungover:

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi CarlyB. Thanks for posting this. I thought I was being a bit dramatic for thinking Im super tired afterwards! Nice to know Im not alone and should maybe be nicer to myself. Depending on how bad the hypo, sometimes I could just lie down and sleep where Im standing!!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi CarlyB. Thanks for posting this. I thought I was being a bit dramatic for thinking Im super tired afterwards! Nice to know Im not alone and should maybe be nicer to myself. Depending on how bad the hypo, sometimes I could just lie down and sleep where Im standing!!
me too, a hot cup of tea and a duvet as im usually freezing afterwards, something for a banging head and a snooze, phew.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
..oh yeah, and a bag to put over my head whilst I remember who ive got to go back and apologise to...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I hear these accounts of "wipe out" all the time with hypos from other Ds..

My personal experience with them is I have no issue keeping going..

However, it does feel like I've been "partying all night" if I had to wake & treat a nocturnal low?
Most the following morning I do feel a little "shot away".?!
That's my experience as well, but it really depends on how low I go overnight, and if glucagon and liver glucose release takes place.

A hypo per se is just something that needs to be treated and got on with. It doesn't leave me feeling bad. An overnight hypo, if I wake and fix it, I just feel tired. If I overnight hypo, don't wake and my liver releases glucose leaves me with one hell of a hypo hangover.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of levels are we talking about here? Can't say a hypo wipes me out, in fact woke up at 1am last night with a 2.1 and functioning normally today - maybe helped by no over treating the hypo. Interested to hear what numbers really affect people - is there a correlation to how low you go and what extent the 'hang-over' is like.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's my experience as well, but it really depends on how low I go overnight, and if glucagon and liver glucose release takes place.

A hypo per se is just something that needs to be treated and got on with. It doesn't leave me feeling bad. An overnight hypo, if I wake and fix it, I just feel tired. If I overnight hypo, don't wake and my liver releases glucose leaves me with one hell of a hypo hangover.

That's the problem.. Or not a problem. Hypos wake me without fail. It's probably a mixture of disturbed sleep & the snacking..?

Though I could appreciate the liver being busy overnight with a "dump" could have the same effect.. A little like dealing with alcohol after a night out??

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Don't get wiped out but do get the grumpy thing. Know to test of the child is in tears because mummy was nasty!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of levels are we talking about here? Can't say a hypo wipes me out, in fact woke up at 1am last night with a 2.1 and functioning normally today - maybe helped by no over treating the hypo. Interested to hear what numbers really affect people - is there a correlation to how low you go and what extent the 'hang-over' is like.

Hi,

In my case occaisinally waking during the night at around 1.5 & regrettably, half asleep going on a self preservation bender with comfort food like milk. Then bedding back down may have contributed to feeling like **** in the morning?

Reactions: slip

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally find I feel better if I wake and treat a hypo than if I get a dump and wake with high bs! That been said more than 1 hypo in the same day and after the second I am grumpy and short tempered for the rest of the day. Feel like I've made the same mistake twice and that annoys the hell out of me.

Reactions: lizdeluz

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Thanks everyone for your responses. They are all reassuring.

I am a newly diagnosed type 1 (March this year) but have background retinopathy so they think I have been a slow onset type one for a number of years!

But I think because I'm relatively new to insulin I seem to be super sensitive to lower BGLs. I tend to start shaking in the 5s then get very clammy, sleepy and uncoordinated as soon as I go under 4. My hypo the other day when I felt exhausted after was 3.5. So not massively low, but has effected me significantly.

I too have a little mouth to feed but luckily at the time hubby was working from home so I could rest for an hour

julespaa16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,

I've recently had a couple of hypos and find that they tend to wipe me out for the rest of the day. Despite the hypo being treated quickly, I end up feeling lethargic all day and struggle to do normal tasks.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
I've been diagnosed for 3 and half years now and I too feel worn out after a hypo especially if I have more than 1

mizpah12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiders
Had a hypo my self last night 1.5 took hours to treat it kept being sick and stomach pain woke up this morning at 4.2 been struggling all day left side of body numb face and extreme headache still. Been a diabetic for 6+years now. Worst hypo ever had.really worried me.