Long distance running and type 2

szia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to run long distance events such as marathons and half-marathons before I was diagnosed. I want to start running again but am worried about what the effects of exercise will be on my blood sugar. In long distance events you would normally carry energy gels and sports drinks to replace lost carbs during the run. Is this still ok? how can I calculate what I need just to use in the run without taking excess?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.runketo.com

There are a few elite athletes who are now using a very low carb diet.
By reducing the carbs in your diet to almost none (less than 20g per day) you should become fat fuelled so you don't need carbs at all to perform.
Personally I hate most forms of exercise but there are quite a few people here who cycle and run long distances. Maybe put "running" in the search box at the top of the page and see what you can find.
Regards
Mark

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important fuel in any exercise is water. A reduction of around 2% body weight due to de-hydration will lead to a reduced performance of 10 to 20% I used to run marathons, and only took water along the route, little and often, around a pint every hour. You will find that if you exceed aerobic levels of exercise you may well experience an increase in blood sugars, that is temporary and is probably offset by the longer term benefits of exercise such as increased insulin sensitivity

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Water is not a fuel, it contains no appreciable nutrients. The rest of your post is correct.

As for the OP. long distance running, sub maximal should help improve insulin sensitivity and thus help manage blood sugar more effectively, as would long distance sub-maximal cycling etc. If you are on insulin, you will need to reduce your dose as well or take carbs to offset the increased insulin sensitivity during exercise. I'm not sure how drugs like metformin will help increase insulin sensitivity but you should find out whether you need to modify doses of those as well.

In the absence of any blood sugar lowering drugs, you may find that you can get away without carbs, but you may need a little now and then. If you have the facility, it makes sense to test during exercise to see how you are affected

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I used to run long distance events such as marathons and half-marathons before I was diagnosed. I want to start running again but am worried about what the effects of exercise will be on my blood sugar. In long distance events you would normally carry energy gels and sports drinks to replace lost carbs during the run. Is this still ok? how can I calculate what I need just to use in the run without taking excess?

I am guessing you are following a low carb diet (and if you're not, I suggest you do :wideyed:). Just as @bulkbiker says, once your body has adjusted to burning fats you can run without having to worry about taking on board extra fuel. In theory you could help replace glycogen stores that have been used during a run after the event - useful to do perhaps after a particularly long run, or when you are running over successive days. By avoiding replenishing the glycogen stores through food however your liver will have to work at converting fat and protein to top those stores up, which may be a handy way to improve insulin resistance.
Good advice to drink plenty of water.
NB. Just as @ElyDave points out, if you are taking insulin, or any drugs that artificially increase the amount of insulin your pancreas is secreting, then you need to be far more careful and suggest you seek advice from your doctor. For further help, take a look at www.teambloodglucose.com