Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
4.3 @ 06:40 (3 x 2 minute rounds kick boxing...with a lad circa 25 years younger)

Reactions: Tim55 and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fbg 9.3 Ouch! With far too many mixed nuts and late metformin and no insulin.

If I have metformin for breakfast and then again with late lunch daily bgs much better. Then less knock on carbs/protein on bg levels too. With no evening meal insulin this does raise me 2mmol/l with that scenerio thou. Even with a liver block. :confused:

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Keep plugging away - you'll get there. It can take a little while to reduce BGs depending on the amount of stored glucose in your liver, and apparently the FBG can often be the last one to drop. But it will drop... :)
:rolleyes:

JanetMcDowell

5.6 this morning. My non diabetic husband was 5.5. Very happy with that. My OGTT came back as normal and hba1c was 38. Very happy with that but will still be sticking to my LCHF diet. Been diabetic for over a year and couldn't have got this far without the forum so thank you to all my friends on this forum. Will still be watching my blood sugars though and posting as before if that's ok

D

debrasue

5.6 this morning. My non diabetic husband was 5.5. Very happy with that. My OGTT came back as normal and hba1c was 38. Very happy with that but will still be sticking to my LCHF diet. Been diabetic for over a year and couldn't have got this far without the forum so thank you to all my friends on this forum. Will still be watching my blood sugars though and posting as before if that's ok
Well done, Janet, on a fantastic result - all your hard work is paying off!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
9.1 before breakfast but it was 7.1 before I went to bed? I get readings of between 5-8 during the day. Why does my reading go up over night?
@Igw we type 2s have carbs and protein converted to glucose stored mainly in our liver and our muscles so this stored sugar is circulating around in our blood and organs because the liver can 'dump' more glucose into our blood during the day but more noticeable overnight (about 2.30-4am in our sleep). This is called The Dawn Phenomoneum. Now shiftworkers can get it at different times. I've worked all different hours and been forced to be awake when I should have been asleep. My body never knows where it is, especially after having 2 babies, night feeds and a difficult toddler and ill partner.
My body constantly dumps on me. Some posters have found low carbing can reduce the circulating glucose and a very very LIGHT nibble before bed ( I use cheese or nuts) can block this dump through the night. The liver otherwise thinks it's being starved and helps us out (even non-diabetics) but we type 2s don't need it's help. A block can help some who are doing a low carb diet.
Reducing carbs and protein can make a significant difference to reducing bgs. A liver block can stop your levels from rising through the night.
I've found on rising too if I don't eat immediately on rising as a norm. I've never been a fan of dashing a breakfast just for the sake of it. I can enjoy a coffee and cream to do my morning liver block with or without metformin/insulin.

Last edited:
Reactions: lgw

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9.1 before breakfast but it was 7.1 before I went to bed? I get readings of between 5-8 during the day. Why does my reading go up over night?

Are you testing FBG as soon as awake (some do it before getting out of bed!), there is a morning phenomenon known as Liver Dump which can raise your BG levels on/just after waking. I'm not a huge expert as never really suffered with it - search on the forum and you can learn more.

Your daily readings sound good though :)