Tattoo issues

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
I have a question about tattoos and any issues that others may have come across. I've been type 2 for around 2.5 yrs now. When I was first diagnosed I had been seeing the doctor due to my tattoos becoming 3d ie all the lines and heavy inked areas were raised. He didn't have a clue as to why. Then after my diagnosis at 39.9 I managed to reduce my sugars to a good level, the lumps and raised effect disappeared my blood tests are generally between 4 and 7.
Occasionally I might have an 8. So after 2.5 yrs I have the raised effect again, I still have very good control. Bs still very good 4 to 7 mmol. Doctor unsure. So slightly concerned as to why?

Has anyone else seen this effect on there tattoos, I would appreciate any answers as to why this might be happening.
Many thanks in advance.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
You must be joking! Lazer my whole back and arms..
There must be a simple answer!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe your body can almost accept the tattooes when your body is healthy, but when your body´s balance is gone your body maybe starts to react harder towards your tattoo....
it is after all something strange to our body and maybe yours is fighting it all the time, but can cope with it when in balance..

Hotpepper20000

So I have a few tattoos. In my experience the one the sometimes feels raised was done when my BG was not under controlled. I don't know if there is a connection.
Also it was done by a new artist so it could be a different ink was used or his technique was different.

Yvonnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You keep your tattoos i have plenty myself.. might be worth asking your tattooist about the ink he uses, different tattooists use different ink, may just be a reaction to the ink. :(

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
I've had them for several years now, I have spoken to the artist and he's not heard of anything similar. And he's been doing them for quite a few years as well.
Just a strange reaction to have.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I had a piece done down my left side in December. At the end of January, I was diagnosed as diabetic. So that's what caused it.:arghh:

Yvonnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My tattoos are sometimes raised in hot weather but thats usually just 1 colour, but have had the whole tattoo raised as well..but mostly a colour not all.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Now for a sensible answer.o_O

I have come across black tattoos or outlines being raised in hot weather - the theory being the ink absorbs more heat than the surrounding skin.
The second possibility is a food allergy. You could either keep a food diary and make a note of flare-ups and what was eaten. Or have a simple allergy patch test done at your local chemist.

I had itchy scaly shins as a reaction to one of my pills, a few months back, but I don't worry about it much now.

Reactions: redtree92

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
Allergy test, that a good idea as I work away from home most of the week and stay in hotels. So I have limited control on how food is prepared.
Thanks for the idea

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
sometimes the black ink raises on my tattoo's and it becomes really itchy, this happens out of the blue and for no apparent reason .....

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a question about tattoos and any issues that others may have come across. I've been type 2 for around 2.5 yrs now. When I was first diagnosed I had been seeing the doctor due to my tattoos becoming 3d ie all the lines and heavy inked areas were raised. He didn't have a clue as to why. Then after my diagnosis at 39.9 I managed to reduce my sugars to a good level, the lumps and raised effect disappeared my blood tests are generally between 4 and 7.
Occasionally I might have an 8. So after 2.5 yrs I have the raised effect again, I still have very good control. Bs still very good 4 to 7 mmol. Doctor unsure. So slightly concerned as to why?

Has anyone else seen this effect on there tattoos, I would appreciate any answers as to why this might be happening.
Many thanks in advance.

How strange !!

I am type one and have a few tattoos never ever had a reaction, maybe you are allergic to the ink ?

A couple of mine I had done while my control was not so good at all, and still had no problems :(

I hope you get an answer soon !

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
These were all done before being diagnosed, I've had touch ups done since. No pattern it's on both old and new tattoos. My last hba1c was 49, so in a fairly good place with my control.

mark51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
sometimes the black ink raises on my tattoo's and it becomes really itchy, this happens out of the blue and for no apparent reason .....

Hi Gazprom, do you do anything for it?

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mark51

I have 32 tattoos and have only had this sort of problem once, I spoke to the tattooist & he suggested using bepanthen on it for a couple of days & see if it settles, it worked for me.

Whatever it is, I hope you get it sorted.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have the same thing with them occasionally becoming raised and itchy and I'm not even diabetic! I think it's normal tattoo stuff, everyone I know who has tats gets it, I belive the tattooist technique makes a difference, the deeper in the skin the ink is the worse it seems to be. I usually just put some cold moisturiser on to soothe the itch

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've had this as well. I don't think there's a connection between blood sugars and the raised areas appearing? I think it can just be that people with diabetes do tend to have a few more issues with their skin. It usually goes after a while