Hypos ALL OF THE TIME

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey all

This is a new thing - my bloods the past 5ish months within range. I've been T1 diabetic for 8 months.

However the last week I've been having at least 2-3 hypos PER DAY. Every morning around 1pm I'm waking with a hypo. (Blood around 3.0). And having a further one or two hypos throughout the day.

I'm not overdosing on novorapid and I'm not eating less carbs than usual. I'm taking enough insulin to match what I'm eating and there isn't really room for error as my BG meter works that out for me so it's not like a miscalculation or anything. It's never failed me in that regard before.

Does anyone know what could be causing this! Today I was sent home from work after having a hypo. I felt fine, than all of a sudden felt shaky and sick and tested at 2.1?! Like, how did I not see that coming or have symptoms sooner?

It's really getting me down :( any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: Freema

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its very likely too much basal /background insulin overnight.....at least for the morning one....

what other times are these happening?

the BG meter calculation is only as accurate as the information it holds, which in this case will be insulin/carb ratios.....these can change for no reason and so it might be too much novorapid....

basal needs to be looked at first though..

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As already said basal testing first to make sure your foundation is solid. Then build on that by tweaking your ratios - it could also be your pancreas having a final coughing fit or resurgence!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...there isn't really room for error as my BG meter works that out for me so it's not like a miscalculation or anything. It's never failed me in that regard before.

You say that as though you get to work out your insulin to carb ratio one time, pop it into a bolus wizard and, tada, that's all there is to t1 management.

It would be lovely if it worked like that, but unfortunately, it doesn't.

It's very possible you basal requirements have changed. If you are hypoing over night that should be the first thing to resolve.

Equally, your ratios can change. Bolus calculators are good - but they only work if the have the right insulin to carb ratio, correction factor. This can change for you overtime or with the weather etc.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Your basals and ratio's will rarely stay the same... So you will have to learn that if you get lows at same time etc that something needs changing.

Ie you may well be in honeymoon period now when pancreas is kicking out a bit of insulin naturally before it totally gives up. This is normal.

Also weather changing and also going from one season to another can affect ratios.

Ie I know for a fact that every clock change will mean a change in my basal rates slightly.

Over night basal checks and getting right are essential...

Your bolus ratios will change too, your blood meter is only a calculator to make things easier.. Your body is telling you that you are having too much insulin...

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its very likely too much basal /background insulin overnight.....at least for the morning one....

what other times are these happening?

the BG meter calculation is only as accurate as the information it holds, which in this case will be insulin/carb ratios.....these can change for no reason and so it might be too much novorapid....

basal needs to be looked at first though..

They can happen any time through out the day but the morning ones happen around 1pm like clockwork.

Then I've been getting minor hypos at afternoon time approx 2-3pm, and more recently at 5pm just as I'm leaving work will start to feel symptomatic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Robynoksana Definitely do a basal check, as mentioned above.

In the meantime, test lots - especially in the hour or two before you usually get hypos. Then you can spot your BS dropping and ward off the hypo with a small snack.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They can happen any time through out the day but the morning ones happen around 1pm like clockwork.

Then I've been getting minor hypos at afternoon time approx 2-3pm, and more recently at 5pm just as I'm leaving work will start to feel symptomatic

What time do you bolus and eat dinner in the evening? Same question for lunch? Just wondering whether you still have insulin working from your last bolus 2-3, 5 and 1am? It might be worth thinking about reducing your lunch and dinner bolus while you sort out a bit of basal testing.

D

Deleted Account

If nothing has changed with regard to what you are eating and how much insulin you are taking, perhaps you want to have a look at other things in your life that could affect your BG. For me, a period of hypos follows exercise if I do not reduce my basal insulin. This can last for a couple of days after a trip to the gym or climbing wall (my exercise venues of choice).
Alternatively, are you more or less stressed? I believe stress usually pushes your BG up but if you have been stressed for some time, you may have depleted your "stores" and, hence, more of the carbs you are eating are going into your stores than into your blood stream. Alternatively, you may be becoming more comfortable about having diabetes so it is stressing you out less.

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If nothing has changed with regard to what you are eating and how much insulin you are taking, perhaps you want to have a look at other things in your life that could affect your BG. For me, a period of hypos follows exercise if I do not reduce my basal insulin. This can last for a couple of days after a trip to the gym or climbing wall (my exercise venues of choice).
Alternatively, are you more or less stressed? I believe stress usually pushes your BG up but if you have been stressed for some time, you may have depleted your "stores" and, hence, more of the carbs you are eating are going into your stores than into your blood stream. Alternatively, you may be becoming more comfortable about having diabetes so it is stressing you out less.

That's actually a really interesting question - I have been majorly stressed at work recently and in the past couple of weeks

Other people have mentioned that my insulin to carb ratio could change which isn't something the diabetic team told me could happen, but saying that they've been pretty lax and haven't wanted to see me for about 6 months, bearing in mind I was only diagnosed 8 months ago, so I'm still using the same methods and ratios that they set my meter at when I was 2 months into my diagnosis and my BG was very high at that point.

I'm going to try basal testing over the weekend and email them and see what's going on I think

Reactions: himtoo and azure

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Robynoksana
it would be worth you getting the book -- "Think Like A Pancreas"
it covers pretty much everything.