All that fat!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 327672
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 327672

After a life time of fat free where possible foods I'm struggling with the new amounts of fat. Not the eating of it, the flavours are lovely. My stomach is really complaining, nausea and indigestion every morning, headachey too. I'm fasting, 20/4 and finding that pretty easy and lousing weight, but, is there a solution to the excess fat? Or is that really the crux of it?

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
When reducing your carb intake it does not leave you much choice with what to replace it with

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a life time of fat free where possible foods I'm struggling with the new amounts of fat. Not the eating of it, the flavours are lovely. My stomach is really complaining, nausea and indigestion every morning, headachey too. I'm fasting, 20/4 and finding that pretty easy and lousing weight, but, is there a solution to the excess fat? Or is that really the crux of it?

Hi, @sewist
Can you tell more about what it is you eat?
I know when I first discovered low carb eating I embraced the HIGH fat element a bit too literally. My digestive system didn't settle down until I eased up to find the optimum level of fat consumption for my personal requirement. Perhaps ENOUGH fat is what you need? That was for me, a bit 'trial and error'.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The types of fat make a difference for me and if you're eating a lot of fat or food for that matter all shoved into one meal that could be causing issues. I limit saturated fat, and dairy but eat avocado, olive oil, olives, some nuts and seeds but too many nuts and seeds slow my digestion too much. I prefer mono fats over saturated as far as digestion and dairy can certainly be a culprit if you're eating it.

Some of prefer to call it low carb and healthy fat. We pick our carb and protein level and then eat just enough fat to satisfy

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely ease back to a comfortable level and then eat to your appetite. You may find that your capacity gently increases over time. It takes a while for our bodies to adjust and upgrade our fat digestion. Mine certainly did.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My digestion would buck up at me if I tried getting a days worth of food/ calories I to one meal. Maybe your meal is too big? Too much protein can be hard to digest a well. What kind of meals are you eating?

D

Deleted member 327672

I've always eaten loads of veg, the lower carb ones are easy, I'm finding cutting back on starchy veg and fruit a bit of a deprivation. I'm enjoying varied meats, fish, eggs, nuts, some cheese, yogurt, flax seed, chia, rapeseed oil and butter. I don't like olive oil or avocado. (I've been gluten free for years so I'm not missing grains except the mountains of rice and corn thins. Oh, and my potatoes!)
I have been cutting carbs over 2 months, doing well. Then started counting on 'Cron o meter'. I found that my carbs were still about 60g, I eat double the protein requirement but only about a quarter of the fat.
Thanks all of you.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe double the amount of protein you are used to is a bit to much The HF can be a bit misleading in the LCHF and really does not mean you have to eat lots of it just a normal amount and when you have always had a low fat diet like I did then moderate fat is maybe better for you. My body does not take to kindly to to much fat so I am still mostlylower fat and not much saturated fat but having good oils instead

D

Deleted member 327672

The "Cron o meter" limits are 40g carbs, 47g protein, 147g fat, 1637 cals. I've eaten at 5pm and 9pm.( I hate going to bed empty) Keeping under cals is a synch! I don't double protein every day but it's always at the top or over the 47g.
Today I've had ' normal' mealtimes because I felt so lousy yesterday, today feels better, carbs, fat and cals are about HALF limits, protein was still over at 49g.

D

Deleted member 327672

Well I'm sticking to it! I'm fasting 20/4, sticking to the carb limit fairly easily, protein is still hard but I make it, or close to it, most days. My fat intake is still well under target even tho I add it wherever I can! I've had only 1 day with the calorie count going bust, amazing because I'm seldom hungry. As a consequence I've lost just over a stone. I'm pleased with myself even tho it's taken over 3 months. To be honest anything that's not UP will do!

D

Deleted member 327672

Ooops, pressed the wrong button. Was going to say thanks for the comments I had, I'm eager for more. How are you all finding it? Does it get easier, or more tedious, as you carry on? Has anybody got to target and stayed down? If you want a laugh, or a groan, let me tell you of today's embarrassment. I ordered weighing scales that promised to tell me my body fat percentage too, they won't! I'm too fat to calibrate!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ooops, pressed the wrong button. Was going to say thanks for the comments I had, I'm eager for more. How are you all finding it? Does it get easier, or more tedious, as you carry on? Has anybody got to target and stayed down? If you want a laugh, or a groan, let me tell you of today's embarrassment. I ordered weighing scales that promised to tell me my body fat percentage too, they won't! I'm too fat to calibrate!
Aww @sewist poor you. That is so not fair! :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi, it is difficult to get your head around all the conflicting advice and it does get easier and a target to set yourself is that if you do get good control you can sneak one or two spuds on to your plate!
I have to be very low carb and that has helped me understand and get it as right as I can to my lifestyle. I'm still learning and there is always something that comes around as an idea or a new food try or experiment, to experience.
It's been three years now, I'm not bored and the reason is, it does actually works.
Not like all the other diets that I've been recommended by our health care advisors.

You have to find out what suits you, learn and understand why low carb does what it does to help you get your blood glucose levels under control.
Keep a food diary and experience and experiment, record everything relevant.
And if you really do need to lose weight, if you get it right, you will.

I have lost over five stones. I have great control, I have got my life back.

Hope you do.

Best wishes.