Refused PIP

mandytype2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hate fish
I put in for pip but got refused it twice which i that i wudve got it we everything i have got wrong we me but im gonna appeal against it

Reactions: ickihun

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Unless you have other disabilities Mandy, Type 2 is not classed as a disability. Its entirely manageable.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I agree that type 2 is not a disability.
I also have bipolar and I applied for PIP for the bipolar and have been turned down 3 times though I used to get dla

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @mandytype2
welcome to the forum :)
perhaps you could tell us a bit more about yourself .
it is difficult to assist without better information.
I hope you can find a way through soon.....

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If in doubt, always appeal. Plus includ medical evidence with the appeal. See your local C.A.B for help.

stewpot65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars.
I got refused to mandy,but I have appealed. I have type two diabetes,insulin dependent, and suffer from depression high blood pressure and to top it all i had a clinical stroke, back in june. Not worried to much about extra money although it would help all i really wanted was a bus pass as iam never away from doctors and hospital appointments.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Remind me again. What is PIP for?
Is it just for mobility? Their website says for people who have problems with daily living and getting around due to their long-term disability.

I wonder if everyone who is entitled is getting it?
Majority of esa claimants are given 0 points as course then they have to appeal. Is PIP the same now?

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
PIP is a benefit that has replaced DLA for working age people. It still has two components, standard daily living and enhanced daily living, this is the care component. Then there is standard mobility and enhanced mobility for mobility issues. It is similar to DLA but has fewer levels on the care side. Hope this helps.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
That's spot on Marjack
I used to be on DLA on care component, as DLA is being fazed out, people have to apply for PIP
I had DLA for my bipolar, that was started and I applied for PIP 3 times, got refused on all, even went to tribunial, and still scored 0 points.
It is very hard to get nowadays as the gverment want/need to cut back on costs.

Crafty74

I was refused first time but awarded on second time as I have severe back & knee problems and multiple other problems, first assessor was not even a paramedic but a transport attendant second time I managed to get a HOME VISIT Assessment by Musculoskeletal Physio with mental health knowledge and they didn't understand why I was not awarded previously my type2 diabetes doesn't really factor with the assessment even though I'm on insulin as am allergic to Metformin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think diabetes alone is classed as a disability for getting a benefit

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know my neighbour who has Fibromyalgia and is an insulin dependant T2 gets ESA benefit.. Employment Support Allowance. because he doesn't work so is that different to PIP

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Diabetes is manageable but other physical disabilities not so easy to manage. Pain relief offered only. PIP I think is for when you cannot do something for yourself. Loss of independence disabilities. Is it money to pay for a carer and cleaner etc. Taxis if public transport difficult to manage? Or taxis covered by local councils, maybe and not PIP. I think it's for expenses of loss of independence, mainly.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Yes the government are cutting back.

worcesterwoman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Go to www.benefitsandwork.co.uk there is a PIP 'calculator' that will give you an idea of how likely you are to get anything. It also gives you an idea of what they are looking for to award points to.
Always have a supportive, knowledgeable and strong minded person sit in with you who will be able to remind you of details that are so easy to forget when you are being interrogated. Moral support goes a long way at these times.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ESA and PIP are different one is benefit if you cannot work. PIP is for people struggling or needing help to care for themselves.. Is going to the toilet etc. You can still get PIP if you are able to work, it is there more so to help mobility and care.

ESA is split into two basic groups. Those that are expected to look for work and those that aren't. I've recently heard of a person with terminal cancer that was placed in to the "expected to look for work group" and is having to waste their shortened life going through appeal process.

Any form of diabetes does not automatically entitle you to any benefit.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 does not fit the eligibility for PIP it's hard enough work trying to get it for type 1 with complications.