Regular moderate exercise log

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, brilliant @Diakat - sorry for blurry brain - had forgotten we'd been talking about hypos already so did know you'd started! Sounds like running after lunch is easier in terms of BG - I have to say I too find it much easier to not go hypo if I'm exercising soon after a (light) meal with half bolus.

So many options, so many factors! Enjoy your 'rest day' today (you're resting from exercise - I don't mean meetings and childcare are any kind of rest!)!

:)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a beautiful 4 mile forest walk yesterday which was described as "steep gradients" "strenuous" and a "muscle builder" on various leaflets and walking websites. Happy to discover all the longer walks on gentler gradients have paid off - I'd never have tackled this on the basis of the contours on the map in previous years. Also happy to discover that I have no aches in places where I know the muscles were protesting yesterday.

Less happy to discover strenuous exercise seems to send my blood sugars up. My poor liver maybe just got a fright and over-reacted?!

The views were absolutely amazing across to various Inner Hebridean islands.

Reactions: 2 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do we think 1 Scottish Hilly and Rural Miles = 3 English relatively Flat Urban Miles? My legs, which are doing very splendidly, are certainly in agreement with this. They don't ache when I've finished the day's walk and no overnight stiffness, but they do protest until they've accepted this is their allotted task for the day.

So technically less miles, but different exercise - and belts back on current best fitting jeans with new sizes contemplated in a week or so. Dear me, this shape changing stuff is very detrimental to my bank balance. This will be my 8th new size in 2 years.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
Do we think 1 Scottish Hilly and Rural Miles = 3 English relatively Flat Urban Miles? My legs, which are doing very splendidly, are certainly in agreement with this. They don't ache when I've finished the day's walk and no overnight stiffness, but they do protest until they've accepted this is their allotted task for the day.

So technically less miles, but different exercise - and belts back on current best fitting jeans with new sizes contemplated in a week or so. Dear me, this shape changing stuff is very detrimental to my bank balance. This will be my 8th new size in 2 years.
Tell me about it! I have yet more clothes to go to the charity shop. Got to sort through winter clothes now it's good and annoying in equal measures. Keep Up the good work/walk!

Reactions: Snapsy

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooo - clear blue skies and mist cleared means we're ready in record time to go out for a walk. More of the beautiful forest trail described as "steep gradients" "strenuous" and a "muscle builder" in a different direction.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Becoming more convinced that I am not a runner. Did day one of week 3 yesterday. Finished on a respectable 5.3 at 17.25. Went home drank water then made dinner, test before dinner at 19.30 is 10.8! Liver dump???? So sweaty, out of breath, achy left calf and rubbish sugars - how do you guys manage running?

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
Becoming more convinced that I am not a runner. Did day one of week 3 yesterday. Finished on a respectable 5.3 at 17.25. Went home drank water then made dinner, test before dinner at 19.30 is 10.8! Liver dump???? So sweaty, out of breath, achy left calf and rubbish sugars - how do you guys manage running?
I'm not a runner either, but like you I'm doing it. I am getting slowly better. Just think at least you are not sitting down doing nothing. I found by bg used to go high after exercise. I've just come back from a very hot bike ride. Not far but I was moving.
That is what is important to keep moving. x
1535468_10151923635009472_2137503735_n.jpg .

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks @Trachet. What is driving me mad is that running seems to make me high or hypo, no in between. Rowing and walking takes me down but is managable, hiit rises me a bit but again managable, weights sugars go up but not into double figures. Running seems to give me no pattern to work on and as I'm on mdi and without a cgm I'm finding it difficult to deal with. And I've only just started! What happens when I reach the point of running for 30 mins? Dramatically saves her hands :mad::stinkyfeet:

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been going gym last 5 weeks at least 5 times a week. I'm doing a mix of cardio and now weights. My sugar seemed to drop first week or two as I expected but now I am having major highs and they are rebound highs but they don't come down without insulin. Nice to read how exercise impacts everyone's blood sugar differently.

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
Hi I have not posted of late, I blame rubbish phone. Anyway Its been a while since the L.C.diet and the weight has increased a little, however in the gym at least 4nights aweek but mostly everyday looking to burn over 350cals each visit. Needed knew challenge so Mud run Saturday c a ight wait till next tie remember to do something with your exercise success

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops... back off holiday, hurtled back into normal work time routines and normal walking patterns. Which, apart from Wednesdays needing attention and planning more carefully as it's manic one thing to another from 8.00 a.m. to 9.15 p.m. and little time to draw breath, let alone eat or walk sensibly! Quite how I managed 6 miles on the first of the manic days I have no idea.

Still, I'm quarter of the way to the second 1000 miles of the year. I am pleased.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Back from holidays - did so much walking and averaged about 13k steps per day.

One day I noticed that my fit bit said I had done 66 flights of stairs!!!!!!

Back to work this week, been to aqua aerobics twice this week and have had a standard basic walk each evening (to ensure I get to target of min 7k steps a day).

Still not lost any weight .....

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first decent length walk (13.5 miles) since before the holiday as a way of breaking in my new boots. Most enjoyable it was too, especially as I've discovered a cake which doesn't seem to affect me badly as long as I have a good hour's walk after it. (Banana and Walnut loaf at Cafe Nero) Fortuitously, the nearest Cafe Nero is just about that far from home... but it is only a ten minute walk from work.

I've just checked my statistics - I've been averaging 6 - 7 miles a day, and no days under 4.2 miles (my 10,000 step point) for three months, apart from the days travelling to and from Scotland and a day I moved a lot of furniture around!.

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks - I've been missing this thread!

Today I went for a bike ride! I've got over the kidney infection (beginning of August) but am still not really up to speed - empty limbs, aching muscles and fatigue - but this morning we decided to go for a gentle bike ride.

I don't do gentle! So I rebelled and WHIZZED away into the distance. Blimming marvellous!

Just had a fry-up for brunch. Feeling knackered, trembly and tired - but oh boy I am LOVING these endorphins! I've missed them sooooo much! Had done NOTHING for months.

:)

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! Welcome back @Snapsy!

I've been in such a grouch all week (work-related and Compulsory Basic Course to be completed which is so easy it's driving me mad) and a brisk walk has cleared my head and provided two ways forwards.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Japes !

Sorry to hear about having a grouchy week at work - I'm hoping to get back to doing some work next week - and now I've moved from sofa to bike I actually have some hope! The summer was completely wasted so I'm going to jolly well catch up!

:happy:

hornplayer

I'm not a runner either, but like you I'm doing it. I am getting slowly better. Just think at least you are not sitting down doing nothing. I found by bg used to go high after exercise. I've just come back from a very hot bike ride. Not far but I was moving.
That is what is important to keep moving. x
View attachment 20286 .

Lol, that's funny. I was doing a gig at Duxford a few years ago. It was an open air concert with choreographed fly pasts by aircraft from bi-planes to the newest fighter planes. Before the rehearsal started, we had a safety briefing from the guy in charge of ground crew. He said "If I say leave the stage, leave immediately, and if I'm running, try to catch up"! We all thought it was funny until we realised how close the stage was to the runway! Lol. It was the only gig I've ever done which was being directed by someone other than the conductor. A ground crew guy was sitting on the floor behind my section telling us to "vamp" (repeat til ready) whole pieces because the Lancaster Bomber wasn't in position yet. It was awesome. - Tigermoths doing acrobatics above the stage while we played Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. That sort of thing.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
I have entered my first ever go tri event. A mini triathlon. It is tomorrow. I was planning to go swimming on Tuesday, cycle there, then home then try running around the block.
As I was cycling back from work on Monday got a puncture in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately someone gave me a lift to the nearest station 5 miles away.
Tuesday the full effects of my new statins started to take effect. I was on the toilet for nearly all morning, no swimming obviously.
Wednesday cycled 10 miles but found it hard going. Thought it was because I was on my road bike rather than my hybrid.
Thursday my asthma is bad started coughing. No swimming.
Friday feeling like death warmed up. Had to cycle 6 miles to go to podiatrist to find the apt was the day before. Cycled 7 miles back. Then phoned docs as I had a asthma review with the nurse and didn't know if it was worth seeing her since I felt rough. Receptionist said yes. When I got there the nurse said I should've cancelled! So much for a nice quiet day trying to prevent a cold getting worse.
Saturday I've organised all my clothes for tomorrow. Cold/cough is a bit better. Now I've got to have a bath and get myself ready as I am going to a ball tonight.

So my nice plan for exercise has gone out of the window. Haven't swum or run for 3 weeks. Going out on the razz the night before. Have to get up at 5 .30am! HELP!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Trachet it CAN only get better! So impressed by the go tri - I've got as far as only registering on their website - for the last two months, until today, in fact, I have been sleeping a good deal of each day and doing no work and no exercise thanks to post-infectional patheticness.

I am utterly certain that with all of those really difficult circumstances you've listed that it will be onwards and upwards for you from now on - doooooo keep us posted as to how it goes!

Hope you're feeling much better.

And have a FABULOUS time this evening!

:happy:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning, 5 hours walking yesterday doing pamphlets and walking to the A&P show wirh my grand daughter. Feet were a bit sore and the grandy a bit pink but a nice day out.