Response to Petition for CGM for type 1's

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just ready the response, standard toeing the NICE party line
Not sure what the "customer service platform" amounts to in practice though. Wonder if the PM has a CGM?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my favourite bit.

"NICE’s guidance is based on a thorough assessment of the available evidence"

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I liked the bit about them concentrating on prevention. If we knew how to prevent type 1 CGMs wouldn't be requested by us.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is my favourite bit.

"NICE’s guidance is based on a thorough assessment of the available evidence"

It misses any statement about "and cost benefit" because that's the key driver of CGM.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It misses any statement about "and cost benefit" because that's the key driver of CGM.
True but I was actually being cynical about NICE guidance in general. Evidence based advice seems to be a modern casualty if anything Dr. Kendrick says is true.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As the NHS are keen for type 1 diabetics to avoid hypos then surely a CGM is the problem solver and in regards to using it 70% of the time - there isn't an opportunity to - it's all or nothing with using a CGM, and I think I can speak for the majority here that we would all utilise it 100% if given the chance.

Reactions: Jaylee

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"generally no more effective than current methods of self monitoring".
I presume they are assessing it purely on the basis of HbA1c? For me the improvement in my life has been enormous. The number of hypos massively reduced, serious ones eliminated. I can go to bed confident that I'll be warned about an impending low. HbA1c hasn't improved much but the range of values is much much tighter.
Admittedly you have to put some work in, but if you do the benefits are clear. If they weren't, I wouldn't be spending well over a £1000 a year which I can ill afford.

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
If you meet all the NICE Guidelines the CCGs still ignore them and they take no notice of your consultant either, they just say no. They know nothing about diabetes and this is apparent in their response to the petition for a CGM.