Type1. Struggling with Depression

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys and gals,

I'm really in a bad place right now.

I wake up everyday thinking I can't handle things anymore. I don't know who to turn to and I feel alone and isolated.

This has had a major impact on my diabetes. I find I'm eating unhealthy and a lot of chocolate to comfort my sorrows.

Any advise would gladly be appreciated as I don't know what to do.

Thank you.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Mark .... I really feel for you .... depression is an awful thing & makes you believe there is no solutions to how you feel right now.

However at least you have been brave enough to come on here & ask .... well done

Is this the first time you have felt like this? Is it your diabetes that is the problem or do u have other issues that have brought you down?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is to give your surgery a call as soon as you can @Mark-optimistic

You'd be surprised at just how many people get down like you've described. A chat with your GP would give you more information and help in getting your head in a better place, and that in turn would help your diabetes management.

It might also be worth calling your DSN to let them know you're struggling a bit at the moment. If the diabetes is contributing, then they may be able to refer you for help with that as many teams have access to psychological counselling and the like.

Basically, don't suffer alone. There are people out there who can help. In the meantime, know that you have plenty of online friends here who are rooting for you.

Wishing you the best -

Azure

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your help, I don't think it's diabetes related.

I have had strange symptoms for months that some doctors think it could be viral and others think it's anxiety.

I have lost my job because of it and I have become completely isolated. I don't know what's wrong with me and that has caused me to go into a sense of depression.

I have spoke to an organisation called minds matter to get some help.

Thank you to everyone that has replied and is going to reply as your comments are very helpful and I am extremely grateful.

I will get through this.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you are doing the right things .... Seeking help from Drs & mind matters.

Do you have friends or family that you can talk to?

Reactions: Prem51

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great to talk about, I went to my doctors to explain my heart racing and my bpm was 120 whilst there he stuck me on an ECG still but did tell me it was due to anxiety stress and depression, I still suffer with it and it's a battle but you will pull through hopefully faster than i am.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Mark-optimistic I'm sorry things are tough right now. I promise you, you will not always feel like this. Change will happen as sure as day is day and night is night. Positive change.
Fortunately and unfortunately nothing stays the same.
You can look ahead confidently as life is full of negatives and positives. Some positives are going to blow your mind. Far big and better than you could ever imagine.
Just remember the negatives are just bumps in the road. The real journey is the bigger picture. Aim for the stars. There are plenty of them. Some are close and some are far but still wonderful once obtained and cherished. ;)

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
Hey guys and gals,

I wake up everyday thinking I can't handle things anymore. I don't know who to turn to and I feel alone and isolated.

This has had a major impact on my diabetes. I find I'm eating unhealthy and a lot of chocolate to comfort my sorrows.

Thank you.
I have chronic depression, I was recently diagnosed type 2 Diabetes and I had PCOS all my life since age 11 and think that horrible PCOS has caused me not only to be unable to have kids but lead to me having had cancer and now this. I love food and food was my comfort as I don't drink or smoke now I have to watch what I eat all the time. It sucks does being depressed.

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
Thank you for your help, I don't think it's diabetes related.

I have had strange symptoms for months that some doctors think it could be viral and others think it's anxiety.

I have lost my job because of it and I have become completely isolated. I don't know what's wrong with me and that has caused me to go into a sense of depression.

I have spoke to an organisation called minds matter to get some help.

Thank you to everyone that has replied and is going to reply as your comments are very helpful and I am extremely grateful.

I will get through this.
I have had anxiety and depression most my life, I also have high functioning Autism and this is part of the reason. Mind is a good organisation, I have been on "happy pills" since I was 21 now I am pushing 50. It can be life long but it comes and goes and you learn to live with it like any handicap.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Mark-optimistic its really good you can talk about it here - you are definitely not alone, I went through a bad patch a couple of years ago and found exercise and meditation helped me. Please see your doctor it's a great weight lifted if you do and remember depression is always temporary you won't always feel this way so there is hope, let us know how you get on ?

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys and gals,

Thank you.
It's really common to suffer from depression when you have diabetes. I know there is one consultant in Leeds that was doing research in the link between the two. You definitely need to see your GP and be honest with them about how you feel, then they can help you in the best way possible. Keep smiling

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
:hungry:
Hey guys and gals,

Thank you.

Hey there,
Sorry to hear you're low.
You probably already know that erratic BGs can mess with your head, so even though you may not feel like it, try as much as you can to manage your levels.
Something else as a practical piece of advice, is to consider getting hold of some tryptophan supplements. 250mg may be enough - it's just to make sure your serotonin levels are where they should be.
You may well find that hormones are altering your perception and suppressing your mood and certainly it won't do you any harm to address any imbalance.

Well done for seeking help - just hang on in there.

If you want to eat chocolate, get the high cocoa type 80 plus percent. At least that way you can indulge without getting the accompanying swings in BGs. Chocolate isn't necessarily all that bad - just mix it in with the occasional mouthful of greens ;)

Just on the emotional anxiety side, when you're next becoming overwhelmed with anxiety, try taking some deep breaths - focus on your breathing and realise that right now, nothing bad is happening. Raise your awareness of what's around you - smells, sounds, touch and stop your mind spinning you off into a 'what if' land of horror.
It's basic mindfulness that might just help you maintain a bit of sanity during those scary moments.

Hug of support :)

Reactions: Mark-optimistic

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your not alone, I'm in the same place, was diagnosed 18 months ago, went on hflc diet n 3 stone but in the last month I've been on a food bender! Eating. Exactly what I know I shouldn't, I'm scared to weigh myself

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Tryptophan can be bought OTC as a dietary supplement.
It can interact with drugs, such as MAOI's and SSRI's, to cause the dangerous condition of Serotonin Syndrome.
I would advise great caution from reading this thread, in case you begin taking an SSRI.
I feel you need to mull this over with a Dr prior to taking tryptophan.

@Bebo321 In no way do I mean to disrespect your genuine words of help and advice, just to advise the OP great caution before self medicating.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tryptophan can be bought OTC as a dietary supplement.
It can interact with drugs, such as MAOI's and SSRI's, to cause the dangerous condition of Serotonin Syndrome.
I would advise great caution from reading this thread, in case you begin taking an SSRI.
I feel you need to mull this over with a Dr prior to taking tryptophan.

@Bebo321 In no way do I mean to disrespect your genuine words of help and advice, just to advise the OP great caution before self medicating.
Good point @Struma - of course you're absolutely right that it's important to discuss and defer to your doctor regarding all potential treatment options. Tryptophan (or equivalent) may well be a supplement that has already been discussed.
I really hope that @Mark-optimistic is all getting the support he needs from his healthcare team. I am aware however that treatment around mental health can be slow and it can be a particularly painful wait for anyone in a bad place - hence the suggestion.
Whatever the situation, you're absolutely right about being cautious over self-medicating and I appreciate you adding the 'proviso' :)

Reactions: Mark-optimistic