High Altitude and Type 1

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with high altitude and Type 1. I am planning on doing in the Inca Trail which reaches 4200m and having never been this high I don't know what to expect regarding my control.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there, I can only speak from experience in terms of skiing, as I was skiing at altitudes of around 2800m and the thing I had to be careful about was my hypo awareness at this altitude, as i'd had a few hypos that I wasn't aware of so I did regular testing. I took jelly babies as they are handy to eat quickly and quick acting. I am guessing it will be fairly warm on the trail so just make sure what ever glucose you take is ok to carry and quick to act. Otherwise would love to come with you, that's certainly one place i'd love to go before I pop my clogs !

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pjcand . At that height I would have no control at all................bowel control that is.
Sorry I can't give practical advice but good luck and have a great time.

findo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I spent 3 months riding a motorbike in the Himalaya spending most of that time regularly over 3000m with no issues (khardung la, marsimik la and rhotang pass) did test every hour and did have sweets at hand. I did aclimatize slowly to compensate for climbing these heights as the effects of going hypo and altitude sickness (breathless, headache, dizziness) have similarities. My Enfield had more problems.

Last edited:

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I did the Inca trail last year and spent some weeks in the Andes up to 5000. It was mostly ok but actually found I needed a little more insulin and from Internet research found this is often the case. It's odd as the heart and muscles work quite hard at altitude and I thought it would be the reverse. I also picked up a d&v bug in one of the villages on the way so recommend taking appropriate medicine to sort just in case. A Libre Flash was fantastic and made it so much easier to head off the highs and lows.

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's very interesting and as you say counter-intuitive, I'll be on the look out for rising sugars and hope to have a CGM to keep a close eye on things. Thanks for the tip!

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I walked up Mr Kinabalu which is the same hight on Borneo a few years ago. I stuffed myself with rice each morning and lowered my night time Insulin and kept my BS high. I was a wonderful time. But it was just too risky. If you suddenly needed help there would not have been any at all especially at as some of the hike is in the dark .I would be very wary

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
Very interested in hearing the results if you could kindly post when you have been. Something I have never thought of but I see how it is actually a concern. Have a good one pal, it is great to see that the Diabetes is not stopping you from living an active and interesting life!!!