Overwhelmed by diagnosis of Type 1 earlier this week

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HoneyBea yes that is totally normal! When I was first diagnosed, my readings were all over the place, and I imagine you were given a standard dose to take across the day, so when you see the nurse/consultant, they will probably change that so you take a different one at each meal, either through carb counting or at this phase they might just tweak it based on what your numbers seem to be doing. The first few months can be a bit unsettling, particularly as you go through the honeymoon phase, but you do learn to cope a bit better, I promise! Try not to stress too much, you are doing really well, and do reach out for help if you need it, because everybody here has been where you are now :)

Reactions: himtoo

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have just seen your in SW, so am I! If it helps I have moved around a fair bit and the diabetes clinics here are the best I have ever had, you are in good hands! It is definitely daunting when you are first diagnosed but it really does get easier, I am on a low carb diet mainly because I hate doing injections so if I can avaoid them I will, the best thing I have done though is pronted a list of 0 carb foods and stuck it on my fridge, I love to snack throughout the day and knowing what foods I can eat for free makes it so much easier knowing it's guilt free! Hope your okay, there are so many people that know what you are going through you don't have to feel alone Xx

Reactions: Freema

bevellar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.
Newly diagnosed and a bit scared of what's to come! I inject NovoRapid (3 times a day) and Levemir (before bed). I check my blood sugar every few hours at the moment but am a bit worried that they are currently ranging from 4.0 to 18.0. I have only this week started using insulin so is there usually a period of highs/low until you get the hang of it? I guess I expected the levels to correct themselves as soon as I started using the insulin but that hasn't happened yet . Any feedback really would be appreciated as I'm feeling a little hopeless right now.
Beth
My husband was diagnosed type 1 this year and it took about 4 months to get everything settled and some steady low blood sugars
He's doing great now and carb counting
Good luck

Reactions: azure

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Take a deep breath. It will take a short time, before you get into the swing of things. Test and eat normally, and do not panic, if levels go up and down, they do. Take care .

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is always a shock and overwhelming when you are first diagnosed but please don't worry. It takes some time to get your insulin doses sorted out. Because your body has got used to working on higher blood glucose levels you may find that you get hypo symptoms at a higher blood glucose level than Diabetics who have managed to get their insulin doses sorted out. Your Diabetic doctors and nurses will get your doses sorted just give them a bit of time. Over time you will end up knowing better than your medical team how things in life (including carbs) will affect you. I've been a type 1 for 45 years as of next month and it's all been a learning experience. Pleased to say that I do not do low carb and never have but carb counting is the best thing for me. I couldn't manage without my digital scales and the Collins Gem calorie counting book which lists carb values of all sorts of foods. Must have managed ok as no problems have come about from bad control so don't let some of the reports in various media frighten you too much. We are all aware of bad things that can happen if control of blood glucose is bad but the important thing is to not worry too much and know that you can learn to take control things to suit whatever lifestyle you choose