How can I thicken gravy?

Wendy53

Hi
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how I can thicken gravy when I am on a low carb diet.

Thank you

Wendy

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I either let it reduce and add a knob of butter, or use arrowroot. Cornflour is ok too but depends on what happens to your BS afterwards.

wiflib

Reactions: Rubyjewelz

Wendy53

Hi Wilfib
Thank you for your suggestions. What good ideas, going to make my gravy now.

Thanks again

Wendy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I find pureed veggies useful.
However, the Low carb Megastore sells a specific product I think. It's probably pretty expensive though
Hana

Wendy53

Hi Hanadr
I never thought about pureed Veg, good idea. I live in Spain so don't think the low carb mega store will work but thank you anyway

Wendy

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Minute amounts of psyllium husk (there I go again!) or xantham gum.
The pureed vegies sound beaut though!

banjo brunette

Pureed veg is SUCH a good idea. Thin, runny sauces could be the only downside I've found to the low carb thing :( Have given up completely on a decent, coating cheese sauce - I just grate the cheese on top of whatever and bung it under the grill to bubble and brown.... Hubby has declared that broccoli and cheese DEFINITELY don't go together tho' :mrgreen: .
Cheers, BB :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coating cheese sauce? Easy peasy.
Marscaponi, good portion of cheese, glug of cream, seasoning, saucepan, melt and stir. Sorted.

wiflib

banjo brunette

Hi wiflib
Yummy! Will give it a go next week - only problem is affording the cauli to pour it on. Blimey, aren't they pricey at the moment? - dratted snow has a lot to answer for :wink:
Cheers, BB :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know!!
I usually sling them in my basket two at a time. I got as far as the checkout last time and as she put them through the till I shouted "how much?" and gave them back.

I did pick up a whole pineapple at Lidl for 89p though. I can now eat a bit of the juicy lusciousness now.

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Italian cream cheese (for the recipe, any cream cheese will do but I don't use Philadelphia as I don't like the taste or texture).

wiflib

MING

:lol: O god my head isnt working. I'm sat here wondering how cream cheese works to thicken gravy and wouldnt the gravy taste cheesy _ forgot we had wandered onto cheese sauce ! :twisted: