Almond flour

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really enjoying trying new recipes for my LCHF lifestyle. Where is the best place to buy almond and coconut flour please ?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Ground almonds - Aldi
Coconut flour - Indian shops, or just use FINE desiccated coconut

Reactions: daisyduck
A

asparagusp

I was just about to suggest Holland and Barrett ..... I saw it for the first time yesterday. I think ground almonds is dearer. 500 gm flour retails around £9.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. There seems to be a big price range from different places. Obviously size is a factor but are there different qualities too ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think almond flour is finer, and ground almonds are coarser - but I confess I have never gone to the phaff of trying the almond flour. I just buy ground almonds from the supermarket with my weekly shop.

The one time I bought coconut flour it was from Amazon (with a bulk order of erythritol) so it just made sense to buy them together. Never needed to buy the coconut since because I was very underwhelmed. I found it was very chewy and soaked up the liquid in the recipe so much that it made the proportions all wrong. Now I usually just sub in extra almond flour, and it has always worked...

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Thanks everyone. There seems to be a big price range from different places. Obviously size is a factor but are there different qualities too ?
My advice would be 'don't buy anything from Holland and Barrett' they're usually always the dearest and they'll normally only stock the 'organic' versions of everything so they can hike the price even higher. Coconut flour is essentially just finely ground desiccated coconut and almond flour is ground almonds which you can get from supermarkets, If you have an Asian supermarket nearby, you can buy them both there in bulk really cheaply.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ground almonds - Aldi
Coconut flour - Indian shops, or just use FINE desiccated coconut
If you have a blender then you can use whole almonds which tend to be cheaper. Not sure if Nutribullet type blenders are man enough to do it it though.
My Aldi only does whole nuts, as does Lidl. both are cheaper than other supermarts. Sainsbury and Tesco both do alnond flour, but it is pricey.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have used my food processor to make almond meal from whole almonds and it works fine. It is not almond flour and is coarser but I don't mind that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume almond or coconut flour would make good pancakes?
Nope. The flour lacks gluten, so the pancakes do not hold together Tossing them is a bit messy. Needs something to bind the mixture thats stickier than egg. Maybe linseed putty?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Often they use eggs and cream cheese to bind it together.

A

asparagusp

Yup! -
Super-Easy-Almond-Flour-Pancake-Recipe.jpg

Super-Easy-Almond-Flour-Pancake-Recipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Often they use eggs and cream cheese to bind it together.
Yes I use it that way to make pizza base. Yummy. I suppose if the cheese is bland enough it may work, Macapone may be suitable candidate. Other wise the pancakes will turn out savoury only

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm getting adventurous now. I've never made a cheesecake before, yet alone one that is wheat and sugar free. This was scrummy. although I think it's an American recipe, the topping doesn't come out like the pic on the recipe but it tastes amazing. I halved the ingredients as I don't need 16 portions !
https://www.verywell.com/lemon-cheesecake-2241741
I've not posted a picture on here before so I'll see if this works

Attachments

• cheesecake.jpg
    cheesecake.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 381
A

asparagusp

daisyduck, who's a clever cookie? Love it! You should have made a whole one though and invited us round!