Should I be buying full fat or low fat

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there

I am doing lchf, and I can say that it suits me, my bg readings are good, my appetite is more stable and it just feels right, I feel better, although I have previously been a carb addict. I have yet to have a blood test that reveals my cholesterol levels though, and I do take statins. I understand that nuts, fish, avocados etc are beneficial, but I am just confused as to whether I should be eating much cheese, butter in place of margarine, or whether I should go for normal or low fat foods when selecting yoghurt or creme fraiche or coconut milk? Is the low fat version worse? I am confused,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I am doing lchf, and I can say that it suits me, my bg readings are good, my appetite is more stable and it just feels right, I feel better, although I have previously been a carb addict. I have yet to have a blood test that reveals my cholesterol levels though, and I do take statins. I understand that nuts, fish, avocados etc are beneficial, but I am just confused as to whether I should be eating much cheese, butter in place of margarine, or whether I should go for normal or low fat foods when selecting yoghurt or creme fraiche or coconut milk? Is the low fat version worse? I am confused,

Hello there. Would you like me to separate this question so that you receive responses of your own? I'm happy to move it for you if you'd like it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi there

Why are you taking statins? You cant make an informed decision if you don't know what your cholesterol levels are. Recent research suggest cholesterol levels are bunkum, and higher levels are required to support brain function and your body as it gets older, you need to read Dr Malcolm Kendrick et al to clarify.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Hi, you'd probably be best to have a thread of your own - but if you're doing lchf - it means that you should be choosing full fat foods - which IMHO are as nature intended - not low fat versions which generally have the natural fats removed and replaced with added carbs and sugars. So butter instead of marge or any other lite/low fat spreads, and full fat dairy. Just eat reasonable amounts - there's no need to go overboard.

With LCHF, you're supposed to be replacing high carbs with low carbs and low fat with full fat. And those fats and oils are required for a good reason: to provide the energy you'll no longer be getting from all the carbs. So the worst thing you can probably do is to eat a mixture of both high cabs and high fats.

Some people find that their cholesterol levels may go up a little for a while before they start to come down.come down, but dietary cholesterol isn't actually a problem.

Robbity

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why are you taking statins? You cant make an informed decision if you don't know what your cholesterol levels are. Recent research suggest cholesterol levels are bunkum, and higher levels are required to support brain function and your body as it gets older, you need to read Dr Malcolm Kendrick et al to clarify.
Thanks for your reply - earlier blood tests had revealed that my cholesterol levels were too high, so I was started on statins, I have yet to have a blood test since starting lchf

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had an appointment with GP yesterday about my thyroid function (which is killing me at the moment) I mentioned that my cholesterol had gone from 4.7 to 7.9 which it does when the thyroid isn't working properly and he told me there was nothing to worry about. Perhaps he is one that doesn't believe the statin theory.