New to type 2, new on here and a little scared at the minute

Looking4someone2help

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lower my triglycerides with leafy green veggies every day. I change it up kale in my soup, spinach and tomato omelet, salad, or kale and spinach in my smoothie. It's worked for me and they go down fast. I don't have to worry about cholesterol, but I read if you raise your HDL it will lower your LDL. I've read olive oil is ok, but avacado, flax seed, chia seeds and various nuts are the best fats and proteins. I also added beans to my diet. I also increased fruit and veggies and lowered my meat and diary and carbs to get my type 2 diabetes under control. Most my research comes from nutritionfacts.org but some from nutritionstudies.org, China study, engine 2 diet, and various documentaries on Netflix. good luck. I actually think you may like the engine 2 story cus it's fireman with a bet and heavier meals than I like... But I tried some of the ingredient to replace unhealthy ones, such as nutritional yeast to replace cheese. You can put it on foods like powder cheese and adds vitamin b's. I liked least dr Campbell but he has helped a lot... He did the China study and has tried to help the us guidelines. He knows what he's talking about too and he's made some good changes. It's just he's more in it for money or fame and that's fine but I am broke college student. I just joined and the people here are so nice. I just felt I should try to help someone cus several of them cheered me up today. My a1c now 5.7 from 7.1, total cholesterol 140 from 176, and I think triglycerides 250 something to now 176... From May to July. And a1c checked this week 5.3. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: RichPJ and Prem51

RichPJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks for the messages - they have helped alot - an update is that i have now been to the diabetes clinic for my first appt my hba1c was 17.6 bad cholesterol at 6.2 and good cholesterol at 0.97 - they have put me on mitformin 4 x a day and a statin for the cholesterol and self testing before and two hours after every meal and monitoring whats peaking my sugar so hopefully things will start to calm down now although still cant work out how i can spike my sugar levels by drinking water!!!

add19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for the messages - they have helped alot - an update is that i have now been to the diabetes clinic for my first appt my hba1c was 17.6 bad cholesterol at 6.2 and good cholesterol at 0.97 - they have put me on mitformin 4 x a day and a statin for the cholesterol and self testing before and two hours after every meal and monitoring whats peaking my sugar so hopefully things will start to calm down now although still cant work out how i can spike my sugar levels by drinking water!!!
Try to reduce stress at this point. You'll get used to it. I remember that day when I was told not to eat certain foods and beverages. It was not easy. But now I can proudly say, I am over it. Regarding medication, there could be some side effects associated with Met. so if you have diarrhea, skin rash or something, it could be it. Some people who take Met for prolonged time might also develop anemia. Ask your doctor for more information. Hang in there, pal. We're here for you :)

Reactions: RichPJ

RichPJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try to reduce stress at this point. You'll get used to it. I remember that day when I was told not to eat certain foods and beverages. It was not easy. But now I can proudly say, I am over it. Regarding medication, there could be some side effects associated with Met. so if you have diarrhea, skin rash or something, it could be it. Some people who take Met for prolonged time might also develop anemia. Ask your doctor for more information. Hang in there, pal. We're here for you :)
thank you @add19

RichPJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Spike times differ after eating and other stuff like stress, pain and even other medications can spike you, so what is useful once in a while is to occasional figure out how your body is functioning for a couple days on the same low carb diet by

1. testing while still in bed before rising
2. testing before and in half hour intervals before meals up to the two hour mark and right before bedtime
3. take the metformin halfway during breakfast, halfway during lunch , halfway during dinner and right after a small before bed snack
4. look at the difference between #1 and #3

Once you know your own body's reaction to general diet, you can do spot tests. If your normal spike are at the 1 hour and a half mark, then that's when you test a particular food addition

benchmark low carb breafast is unprocessed meat or fish and eggs, ex. bacon and scrambled eggs. No cereal, no toast, coffee with heavy cream is cool
thank you @Contralto - i will try the extra tests today like you said and work out when im peaking after food - will be good to work out what foods are affecting it more

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm right there with you bud I was diagnosed yesterday, had bloods done Monday and the doc demanded I rush from a work conference back to see her immediately I literally was shaking I was so freaked out. I am over weight and 47 so I am sure we can get some information how to deal with this together . Your not alone bud

Reactions: RichPJ and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm right there with you bud I was diagnosed yesterday, had bloods done Monday and the doc demanded I rush from a work conference back to see her immediately I literally was shaking I was so freaked out. I am over weight and 47 so I am sure we can get some information how to deal with this together . Your not alone bud

welcome sister mary :)
yes and the fantastic thing is that a very low carb way of eating seems to let people loose their excess weight so easyly ... so while learning the VERY LOW carb diet at the same time you get leaner and leaner... a

Reactions: RichPJ