Can anyone tell me ...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress trigger's Cortisol the stress hormone, which in turn increases your sugar level. I had a test recently and it was slightly elevated.
Agree. Here is a more definitive article describing what stress does to us physiologically. However it ignores adrenaline
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3079864/

This is another article that describes both of them, but is not a medical journal.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/adrenaline-cortisol-stress-hormones_n_3112800.html?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I am not sure, but it looks like you may be using a Low Carb type of diet/ If so then it usually takes a while to settle down. If this is early days, then you will probably have still got large deposits of stored glucogen in the liver, and this has to be dissipated first by low carbing. This is often the source of what we know of as liver dump, and it can give surprising bgl results at the oddest of moments. However, it looks like you are already recording lower bgl bumps closer to where you want to be, so just keep doing the meter checks, and drop those foods that push it up. You will find things become easier as your fasting (morning) levels drop .
Just to be clear - it's GLYCOGEN that's stored in the liver, and GLUCAGON is the hormone that tells the liver to convert it to glucose. Unless you're on very low carb (under 50g per day), you probably won't keep your normal glycogen level depleted.

Another phenomenon involved is liver-resistance to insulin, and one of the effects of insulin is to tell your liver to stop turning glycogen into glucose, but if you've got fat in your liver, that seems not to happen so well, so as well as the dietary glucose, you've got liver-produced glucose and it doubles up, but as you lose weight, your liver can become less resistant to this message and slow down its production.

Reactions: kokhongw

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree. Here is a more definitive article describing what stress does to us physiologically. However it ignores adrenaline
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3079864/

This is another article that describes both of them, but is not a medical journal.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/19/adrenaline-cortisol-stress-hormones_n_3112800.html?

I don't get it with the Huffington Post - on the one hand they post some very well done scientific articles, but then they do some **** piece worthy of the Daily Mail or Fox News about some crackpot health story of the 'Facebook causes cancer' variety, and particularly evil is its frequent giving a platform to anti-vaccination loons.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't get it with the Huffington Post - on the one hand they post some very well done scientific articles, but then they do some **** piece worth of the Daily Mail or Fox News about some crackpot health story of the 'Facebook causes cancer' variety, and particularly evil is it's frequent giving a platform to anti-vaccination loons.
Agree. I don't normally look on Huff Post as being a serious source for my data They do tend to be anti establishment and 'alternative'. They do like point scoring.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree. I don't normally look on Huff Post as being a serious source for my data They do tend to be anti establishment and 'alternative'. They do like point scoring.
And link-baiting

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it has to be what you are satisfied with and if you are going down to 6's after 2 hours then are you happy with that...most people would be... Even a non diabetic will spike after eating a meal that's normal many even higher than your 9.2. As someone else here said not much conclusive studies have gone into the affects of spikes

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They make up stuff that makes a good headline to get you to click through - shoddy behaviour in general.
Do you really think that applies to the article I posted? To me the title says exactly whats in the tin, and no more. Are you saying Huff post should be banned from this site? I did point out that it was not a medical journal, so needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. And you were right to point out that it can be an unreliable source of info, but was there anything in the article itself that is incorrect or inappropriate? Apart from the side ads.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you really think that applies to the article I posted? To me the title says exactly whats in the tin, and no more. Are you saying Huff post should be banned from this site? I did point out that it was not a medical journal, so needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. And you were right to point out that it can be an unreliable source of info, but was there anything in the article itself that is incorrect or inappropriate? Apart from the side ads.
No, just chatting.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, just chatting.
OK. It wasn;t clear you were being satirical. Perhaps an occasional [lol] would show tongue in cheek? No good using emojo's though since they dont show up in my browser.

Sorry for throwing a hissy fit. my bgl currently at 4,1 so my avatar woke up.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it the actual spike that does the damage, or is it the amount of time that it remains high?
I spike from around 5.8 to 9.2 after breakfast ... but that's the reading an hour following my first mouthful.
By the time another three quarters of an hour has elapsed ( so under two hours from first mouthful) my levels are always back to about 6.1
I've looked on other diabetic information pages but cannot find this mentioned. Thanks
With those figures I'd be delighted! Wait until your spikes hit the high teens, like mine occasionally do, then worry! I'm currently 7.2 and utterly delighted with that. A very low carb, high fat diet all day long is the only way I can keep anywhere near that figure.

Reactions: Oldvatr

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK. It wasn;t clear you were being satirical. Perhaps an occasional [lol] would show tongue in cheek? No good using emojo's though since they dont show up in my browser.

Sorry for throwing a hissy fit. my bgl currently at 4,1 so my avatar woke up.
If you ever catch me 'lolling' unless it's in real life, then kill me. In fact, if I ever actually say the word 'lol' IRL instead of actually laughing, also kill me - and anyone else who says it.

hornplayer

If you ever catch me 'lolling' unless it's in real life, then kill me. In fact, if I ever actually say the word 'lol' IRL instead of actually laughing, also kill me - and anyone else who says it.

I will admit to using lol to disguise the fact that I am a sarcastic witch from hell a lot of the time. I don't mean to sound nasty, I just have a strange sense of humour. Lol can be useful, although I did feel daft using it the first few hundred times...

Reactions: ziggy_w and Oldvatr

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will admit to using lol to disguise the fact that I am a sarcastic witch from hell a lot of the time. I don't mean to sound nasty, I just have a strange sense of humour. Lol can be useful, although I did feel daft using it the first few hundred times...
ROFL

Jix200903

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the actual spike that does the damage, or is it the amount of time that it remains high?
I spike from around 5.8 to 9.2 after breakfast ... but that's the reading an hour following my first mouthful.
By the time another three quarters of an hour has elapsed ( so under two hours from first mouthful) my levels are always back to about 6.1
I've looked on other diabetic information pages but cannot find this mentioned. Thanks
Hey! Look at you quoting like a pro. 3 weeks ago you were so worried. Well done! And back down to 6.1 is spot on target.

NICE, bless them, have actually withdrawn their guidance that you should be down to 8.5 after 2 hours but we all still use it because an old target is better than no target. I don't think it really matters too much. Some places I've seen say 90 minutes after eating. My SD Codefree has a 2 Hour alarm after the pre-meal reading which would back that up, assuming it takes 30 minutes to finish eating. Of course, some carbs take longer than others to get to the blood stream. Glucose tablets (for treating hypoglycaemia) will act very quickly, a biscuit may not. A big carby meal may take longer to digest, a fruit juice may be digested more quickly with no bits in it, blah blah. The key is to get it down generally and to watch out for carby starchy concentrations.
I find that if I go for my relatively energetic post-meal walk too early, I'm finished before the food has even digested and I still get a bit of a spike. But generally I get my post meal readings to 7.1 after a couple of hours and my pre's at about 6.1. I don't test religiously now because it's expensive and I'm gaining confidence. I know that a chicken omelette will do nothing at all to my BG level, throw in a hobnob or 5 and off we go.
If you haven't been on the XPERT course yet, it's very good. You should see if your area runs them.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning. Not sure if I'm on the right site but can anyone tell me, metformin SR, anyone who takes it have you noticed your bgs elevate on this medicine? I changed recently & noticed I never get any 5's which I used to be during the day, now it's 6's & high 7 or 8's in the morning, would it be better to go back to the bog standard? Thanks good day to everyone

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting Phil. I have perhaps a half dozen spikes in the last couple months in the 8 to 9 range and all of them are not food related but illness. The 9 was after not eating for several days. Amazing what stress, for good reasons or bad, can do to our bodies.
I tend to agree with you - my worst overall levels occur when I'm stressed, in pain, and/or feeling unwell. After a recent bad fall (caused by my dog dragging me over :() I've seen some of my highest levels ever - actually higher than when I first started testing...

And since I can do very little about these situations, I do my best to keep my food related levels as low and steady as possible.

Robbity

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
You might llike to know Corby that after six months on a controlled carb diet (less than 100g per day) my retinopathy reversed itself. This a common consequence!
I have never been able to prevent spikes after eating, even on less than 50g of carb a day. I wish I could, but diet alone cannot produce that result for me.
I tried Metformin to get my BGs down further, but it made me quite ill, so I accept my limitations. I am 65 and have stayed normal and healthy for six years.

Reactions: Chasida

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
The emojis are to be found at the top of the comment box. Personally I like them
:joyful::joyful::joyful:
Lol.