New starter

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I got diagnosed yesterday with type 2 and so want to get off carbs and best this thing. I am going to be testing my blood once I have my next appointment tomorrow Ave they show me how . I just need a bit of help really getting into a health low carb regime any advice ? Should I follow The Atkins programme ? So Confused right now .

Last edited:
A

asparagusp

Welcome. Not Atkins but the LCHF diet which seems to be benefitting many many people here.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lchf diet ? Ok thanks I'll look that up now and find out what it is

LCHF stands for Low Carb High Fat, which is actually broadly similar to Atkins. There are many ways to manage your diet, now you've joined the diabetes club, so please do do plenty or reading.

As you intend testing your bloods as you go, you will get great feedback on how you're doing, which I, personally, consider to be important.

Your profile doesn't give us any clues whether you take any medication or what levels you were diagnosed at, but that might help folks make relevant suggestions as you move forward.

If low carb is appealing to you, this site does a Low Carb Programme, structured to take place over a 10 week period. I haven't done it myself, but ti gets good feedback, from folks who have done well on it.

Take it steady; do plenty of reading before you jump headlong into wholesale changes.

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys I am not on meds yet I have to have more bloods done in two weeks then back to doctor again. She said I will be on meds but need more bloods first . I've stocked up today for the lchf programme and thrown out anything with high carb content and sugar (I literally have no will power I'm surprised I am not bigger than I am). I'm calming down a bit now but refuse to be ill so the fatty has to get fit !

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. You are bound to see differences in your wellbeing following this!

I went lchf straight after diagnosis and weight dropped off and so did sugar levels and cholesterol. Unfortunately I stopped looking after myself properly and am now getting back on track. Within days my sugars have come down and I already feel a lot better.

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks skal I had only one piece. Of toast yesterday everything else was non carb but I have a headache today . I read this might happen I'm hoping it sorts itself out soon though, I don't get headaches normally . I must admit I'm craving a bit but the fear of this disease trumps everything so I'll stick to it

Reactions: skal

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try not to worry too much, stress and and worrying will also raise your glucose levels. Patience is a virtue here and longevity and perseverance will take you far. I am wholly not sure but I haven't had any cravings so far even when my flatmate made pasta last night. It smelled lovely but I just didn't want any.
I also suffer from a headache, it seems to be mild today but it'll be gone in a few days.
Keep going!