Diagnosed Yesterday

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone my name is Lizz I was diagnosed yesterday with type2 . It freaked me out as I gave blood Monday as part of my annual MOT and the dr called me in Wednesday after ringing me In work and telling me to get straight in ( talk about freaking me out). I'm 47 , over weight and worried now. There is so much out there about type 2 I am struggling to get through the facts and the myths. I'm treating this as a wake up call so attempting to go low carb and nail this disease. But any advice would be reeeeeally welcome

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there is so much information if you look around in here ..
I tag Daisy so she can get you the information that everybody in here gets... @daisy1
you´ll learn a lot but it takes some time like a month to get your head around all this information...

the low carb especially if you do very low carb will help you Loose a lot of weight .. if not then ask more here ...

try not to worry, I got freaked out too and this scary feeling made me take it seriously right from the first day... so be glad that it makes a gigantic impression on you cause this you´ll use to really do what you can for yourself and your body..

if you don´t do training so at least go for some long walks most every day .. and when feeling fitter do more...
in 3 month my brain feels much younger and fresher and I am in better shape than for a decade...and also look much better... so something good has already come out of it... even though it didn´t cure my diabetes... but I hope you´ll get something good out of it too even though it is hard to believe...

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Freema has given good advice .
I find the following works for me.
Lower carb diet
At least 30 minutes physical activity a day , I try and walk about 3 miles .
Test your blood sugar, if you can't get a blood sugar kit from GP then buy one , its worth it . I didn't know what my symptoms meant until I tested .
Try different activities and foods to keep your motivation going .
Read as much on here as you can , there's a lot of support from people who live with diabetes .
Diabetes is an individual condition and you will find what works for you.
You are on the right track

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@SisterMary - Hello Lizz and Welcome to the Forum :). Firstly, don't get yourself worked up and panic, stress yourself out - that will only serve to raise Blood sugars. Just take one day at a time and don't overload your brain with too much information. Have a good read of the basic information from daisy1, and ask away any questions you have. We are all friendly, helpful and supportive to one another. :)

Reactions: Freema

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is such an amazing forum so many lovely strangers helping each other I love this the world should be more like it is in here x

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Terryrhino - Hello, I see you are a New Member. Welcome to the Forum :)
Asking questions is the way to learn, some of us may have had Diabetes for a number of years, but we are still learning from each other.:)

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much it's nice to know I don't need to freak out by myself . Bless you all

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone my name is Lizz I was diagnosed yesterday with type2 . It freaked me out as I gave blood Monday as part of my annual MOT and the dr called me in Wednesday after ringing me In work and telling me to get straight in ( talk about freaking me out). I'm 47 , over weight and worried now. There is so much out there about type 2 I am struggling to get through the facts and the myths. I'm treating this as a wake up call so attempting to go low carb and nail this disease. But any advice would be reeeeeally welcome
Sorry to hear that. You can find lots of support here. Can I suggest

www.dietdoctor.com
Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/p...tes/&utm_referrer=https://duckduckgo.com#2793

Ignore any advice that there is no particular diet for diabetes and avoid refined carbohydrates in particular.

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's great I looked at the diet doctor today hence me changing what was in my cupboards ! I'm going to try and look at this whole thing like a middle aged wake up call so I'm trying to be positive about it. This app and all of you guys have calmed me right down today so many many thanks

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Liz and welcome,

In just a day, you are already on the right path. LCHF will likely halt your diabetes in it's tracks, if you give it a chance! It sounds like you're doing just the right preparation. Get that cupboard / fridge stocked up with low carb goodies and you'all never look back!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't freak out. Diagnosis is scary but with determination you can get it under control. If you can read everything you can on the forum, I found it a great help - there are some wonderful people here, they all helped me to get to grips with my type 2.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @SisterMary , hope we can help improve your diabetes management.