Shin Splints / Achilles Tendonitis

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I can't believe I've been so stupid. Stayed in a hotel last week and was quite bored, so ran 5k in the evening, then the morning at their gym and then in the evening walked 4 miles back to the station with 20kg backpack. Now I seem to have shin splints in right leg and Achilles tendon/heel pain in the left, Heel is getting so bad now it's hard to walk on it.

Is it worth going to podiatrist or sports physio about it? Which is likely to be better, and how much would it cost me? Anyone have experience of this?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can't believe I've been so stupid. Stayed in a hotel last week and was quite bored, so ran 5k in the evening, then the morning at their gym and then in the evening walked 4 miles back to the station with 20kg backpack. Now I seem to have shin splints in right leg and Achilles tendon/heel pain in the left, Heel is getting so bad now it's hard to walk on it.

Is it worth going to podiatrist or sports physio about it? Which is likely to be better, and how much would it cost me? Anyone have experience of this?
Yes, hie thee to a doctor!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ChrisSamsDad . Sorry to hear you're suffering.
If pain is that bad and pain killers are not helping i would see a sports physio. Not going to be cheap especially as you need seeing asap and may have to go private.
Have you looked at using KT tape, I've found it to be really good for shoulder and knee trouble recently.
Search Achilles heel and KT tape on you tube. Maybe worth a try.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
stretching, stretching, stretching, and yoga and calf raises

BTDT, it hurt